The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > Body Worlds
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Cruise Director
nobody special

Body Worlds

I had to go to L.A. for a business trip a few weeks back. Upon reccomendation from a friend of mine in Germany, I drove up to USC the the California Science Center to see Body Worlds. It's an amazing exhibit of the human body. They use a technique called "plastination" that literally dehydrates an object and then impregnates it with silicone, polymers or other plastics to preserve it forever. The specimens are odorless and will not decay. The natural coloring of the specimen remains full.

Now, I'm not interested in medicine or anatomy except on a completely elementary scale. I went to see the exhibit for mostly entertainment value and out of morbid curiosity. What I found was both educational and fascinating. The exhibits took me over 3 hours to view and I learned more about the human anatomy in that time than I ever learned in school. There were areas set up completely devoted to bone structure, organs, nerve system, and every other "system" the body has. They had a man, woman and child standing together that was nothing but the circulatory system. Apparently they can inject the polymers through the veins, melt away the flesh and bone and all that remains are the millions of veins, arteries and capilaries. I had no idea.

There are some controversies regarding the exhibit as some people feel it's immoral to put these people on display. One area of the exhibit is behind curtains because of how controversial it is. A woman died late in the third tri-mester and the fetus died with her. Through plastination they have cut away the stomach area and you can view the baby in utero. It was amazing.

The people in the exhibit were reverant and quite respectful. The voices never rose above a slight whisper as the crowd marvelled over the beauty that is the human body.

Looking at the webpage, the exhibit moves to Chicago in February. Those of you around L.A. should check it out before it leaves and those close to Chicago, it's well worth your time.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-21-2004 06:43 PM
Cruise Director is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cruise Director Click here to Send Cruise Director a Private Message Find more posts by Cruise Director Add Cruise Director to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pianomahnn
Sw0ul3!!!!!11

Re: Body Worlds

quote:
Originally posted by Cruise Director
There are some controversies regarding the exhibit as some people feel it's immoral to put these people on display.

I'm glad no one listened to these whiners.

I'm making the assumption this exhibit is utilizing bodies donated to science. This seems like an honorable use; educating many curious minds who would otherwise have no opportunity to see something in this capacity.

Rock on, science.

Old Post 12-21-2004 10:19 PM
Pianomahnn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pianomahnn Click here to Send Pianomahnn a Private Message Visit Pianomahnn's homepage! Find more posts by Pianomahnn Add Pianomahnn to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

It is some German artist who did this stuff, I think. I imagine that he got hold of the bodies legally somehow, but I'm not sure that it was considered to be 'medical'. There was the same whining (and some legal problems) when this exhibit was in the UK.

Old Post 12-21-2004 10:23 PM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

He is actually a doctor, my mistake. The news stories I saw in the UK seemed to show him as an artist.

Old Post 12-21-2004 10:25 PM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

And yes, the bodies were donated for use in educating physicians, etc. Looks like they donated their bodies directly to him, for plastination. Which goes to show that I should pay more attention to news stories.

Old Post 12-21-2004 10:27 PM
mudded
+/-?

Old hat.

I've seen it meself, some years ago.
The plastinated Horse and Rider was pretty cool.

"Plastination - Makes King Tut hard"

Cheers
-m

Old Post 12-21-2004 10:30 PM
mudded is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mudded Click here to Send mudded a Private Message Visit mudded's homepage! Find more posts by mudded Add mudded to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pianomahnn
Sw0ul3!!!!!11

quote:
Originally posted by Smug Git
*3 posts*

So this is how you have amassed 22000 posts.

Old Post 12-21-2004 10:38 PM
Pianomahnn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pianomahnn Click here to Send Pianomahnn a Private Message Visit Pianomahnn's homepage! Find more posts by Pianomahnn Add Pianomahnn to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

That and I hacked the database.

Old Post 12-21-2004 10:43 PM
J E B Stuart
Administrator

Yeah, CC, I'd like to see that. I know I've shared this before, but what the hey: When I was in Kiev back in 1985, we got to tour some old caves where some monks and/or priests' cadavers had been put to rest several centuries earlier. It was incredible that they had minimal visible evidence of decay, although there was significant shriveling due to dehydration.

And those mummified corpses were so uniformly short. I honestly believe I would've been considered a giant had I lived back then.

Amen.

" Future years will never know the seething hell and the black infernal background of countless minor scenes and interiors, (not the official surface courteousness of the Generals, not the few great battles) of the Secession war; and it is best they should not�the real war will never get in the books." ~ Walt Whitman

Old Post 12-21-2004 10:55 PM
J E B Stuart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J E B Stuart Click here to Send J E B Stuart a Private Message Visit J E B Stuart's homepage! Find more posts by J E B Stuart Add J E B Stuart to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
karen
Lesser Satan

the pregnant one:

Attachment: bodyworlds9.jpg
This has been downloaded 68 time(s).

Old Post 12-21-2004 11:25 PM
karen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for karen Click here to Send karen a Private Message Find more posts by karen Add karen to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J E B Stuart
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by karen
the pregnant one:

Ahoy, karen! And long time, no see.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Amen.

" Future years will never know the seething hell and the black infernal background of countless minor scenes and interiors, (not the official surface courteousness of the Generals, not the few great battles) of the Secession war; and it is best they should not�the real war will never get in the books." ~ Walt Whitman

Last edited by J E B Stuart on 12-21-2004 at 11:39 PM

Old Post 12-21-2004 11:29 PM
J E B Stuart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J E B Stuart Click here to Send J E B Stuart a Private Message Visit J E B Stuart's homepage! Find more posts by J E B Stuart Add J E B Stuart to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
karen
Lesser Satan

hello and a happy christmas to you, as well

Old Post 12-21-2004 11:29 PM
karen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for karen Click here to Send karen a Private Message Find more posts by karen Add karen to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bunkum
Sanditon

I wonder if the models were those used on the PBS reality show, Regency House -- they had all sorts of cool stuff on there that they brought in. I can't be sure of the historical accuracy of the show, since I noticed that more than one rule of behavior had been inserted from a different time, simply to cause more controversial action in the series.

--pervscan.com

Old Post 12-22-2004 12:02 AM
bunkum is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bunkum Click here to Send bunkum a Private Message Find more posts by bunkum Add bunkum to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
towrofstgh
Yeah, I'm LF's Brother!

Wow...I think I can spend all day in that exhibit. I hope it comes to NY...if it did, I must've been too busy working an honest day's work. It sucks to be legit! It would be so cool if I can sell pot or something. That way I can relax, grow weed, and have the time to see nifty shit like a woman posed with her baby in tow. Sweet!

The only reason why LF looks half-way cool in this picture is because our Mom and I are in it! Ha Ha Ha!!!

Old Post 12-22-2004 01:13 AM
towrofstgh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for towrofstgh Click here to Send towrofstgh a Private Message Visit towrofstgh's homepage! Find more posts by towrofstgh Add towrofstgh to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

You are a druggie,bro! And it's all my fault!
Anyway,I find nothing wrong with these exhibits. Those skeletons you see in science class? Guess what! Some of them are real.

I want a Trump sex doll.
I would throw it in a Orangutan enclosure
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 12-22-2004 02:50 AM
Large Filipino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Large Filipino Click here to Send Large Filipino a Private Message Visit Large Filipino's homepage! Find more posts by Large Filipino Add Large Filipino to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

A medical student told me that the skeletons used to come from poor Indians whose bodies were basically stripped of flesh and sold on, by the government, for medical teaching purposes.

Old Post 12-22-2004 03:08 AM
Sabine
Other

Thumbs up

Good stuff.

By the way, check out "The Architecture and Design of Man and Woman" by Alexander Tsiaras, just out a couple months ago.

Human anatomy as art.

On Amazon.

An article.

Attachment: embryo.jpg
This has been downloaded 42 time(s).

Old Post 12-22-2004 03:24 AM
Sabine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sabine Click here to Send Sabine a Private Message Find more posts by Sabine Add Sabine to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote