The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > Polėticās der Mondé > Onward McCain-Feingold
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
CHiPsJr
Ginger-headed Troll

Onward McCain-Feingold

Guess what's getting regulated next?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-06-2005 04:37 AM
CHiPsJr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHiPsJr Click here to Send CHiPsJr a Private Message Find more posts by CHiPsJr Add CHiPsJr to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paint CHiPs
Smartest Man in the World

Nutty. I was pretty on the fence about McCain-Feingold when it first came up and was willing to give the whole ideal of campaign finance reform the benefit of the doubt. I'm no longer willing. After spending the last couple of years observing just what a completely useless clusterfuck it's been, I've decided the whole notion of regulating political advocacy is lunacy. Open up the process, enforce transparency with an iron fist, but otherwise fling open the doors and let people spend their money on whatever they goddamn please.

Old Post 03-06-2005 05:14 AM
Paint CHiPs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paint CHiPs Click here to Send Paint CHiPs a Private Message Visit Paint CHiPs's homepage! Find more posts by Paint CHiPs Add Paint CHiPs to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

I don't think that because the US Congress fail to find a sensible way of effectively regulating themselves, that there is exists no way. By that criteria, virtually nothing would be possible. That this hasn't worked, I agree, however.

Old Post 03-06-2005 01:01 PM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHiPsJr
Ginger-headed Troll

Perhaps the courts could step in and impose a more effective system for us. The 14th amendment guarantees equal justice under law, and if participation in political campaigns isn't a fundamental civil right to which equal protection jurisdiction must be applied, what would be?

Old Post 03-06-2005 07:15 PM
CHiPsJr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHiPsJr Click here to Send CHiPsJr a Private Message Find more posts by CHiPsJr Add CHiPsJr to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DevilMoon
passive stalker?

quote:
Originally posted by Smug Git
I don't think that because the US Congress fail to find a sensible way of effectively regulating themselves, that there is exists no way.

Politicans practicing false self restraint is nothing new.

----

PAID FOR BY THE PEOPLE FOR A MORE ROCKWELLIAN AMERICA FILLED WITH CHERUBS AND HAPPYNESS AND THE SOCIETY FOR THE REPATRIATION OF SMUG GIT

Old Post 03-06-2005 08:05 PM
DevilMoon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DevilMoon Click here to Send DevilMoon a Private Message Find more posts by DevilMoon Add DevilMoon to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DevilMoon
passive stalker?

Also, the Italian journalist shot by the US is now the "Communist Italian Journalist" injured by US troops according to Fox News. I shit you not. I didn't think that warranted its own thread, but it was amusing.

Old Post 03-06-2005 08:06 PM
DevilMoon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DevilMoon Click here to Send DevilMoon a Private Message Find more posts by DevilMoon Add DevilMoon to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nutrimentia
plata o plomo

ArsTechnica has a nice analysis of this. According to their analysis, that interview and the implications of the changes enacted by the judge he portrays is just his way of trying to drum up opposition and rejection of support for the bill. Looks like a plausible analysis as well.

Old Post 03-07-2005 04:48 AM
Nutrimentia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nutrimentia Click here to Send Nutrimentia a Private Message Visit Nutrimentia's homepage! Find more posts by Nutrimentia Add Nutrimentia to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHiPsJr
Ginger-headed Troll

Not sure what in that article qualifies it as a technical analysis. "He's against McCain-Feingold, and his claims seem unlikely" seems to be the essence of it.

I HOPE that the initial article I posted is incorrect in its implications. No point in bickering about it, though. We'll find out one way or another pretty quick.

Old Post 03-07-2005 04:59 AM
Nutrimentia
plata o plomo

As for the unregulated contributions idea, the elegance of the libertarian basis for the idea is about all its got going for it. We might as well just allow people to purchase legislation directly; at least the billions (yes, it would be that big) would flow into general coffers instead of getting splooged out on the airwaves.

I also just happened to offer my idea that contributors could be required to pay a winner's tax equivalent to what they spent on contributions. That would probably only end up driving out the small donors though.

An alternative is to allow unregulated funding but it all goes into a pool and gets distributed among candidates equally (or perhaps according to a calculus that reflects the size of a party with minimums for unrepresented parties, or something).

Old Post 03-07-2005 05:36 AM
Nutrimentia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nutrimentia Click here to Send Nutrimentia a Private Message Visit Nutrimentia's homepage! Find more posts by Nutrimentia Add Nutrimentia to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote