The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > WIT - Whore Institute of Technology > Video card
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
squee
the amen break

Video card

I have an old comp which I inherited from my folks. I can't remember exactly when they got it, but I do know it's been a while since Dell sold white boxes.

Anyway, it's a PIII 866 or sommat, with 256 megs of RAM and GEForce DDR. I'm sure it was tits back in 1997 or whenever they bought the thing.

So anyway I just took it apart today because the fan on the video card was making this annoying grinding sound. Took everything out, vacuumed the dust out of the thing, cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol, etc. Everything is fine except the sound the fan makes is even more annoying--just a constant clicking and grinding sound.

So, now I'd like to just replace the friggin video card. Does anyone know of a cheap low-end card I can get? It doesn't have to be great, just cheap and hopefully better than the one I have.

Also while I'm at it, I'm wondering if I can get more RAM for this thing. I've got two 128 meg chips--I wonder if I can get a couple of larger chips or if they won't be compatible with the mobo anymore or what.

Ideas?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-16-2005 10:12 PM
squee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for squee Click here to Send squee a Private Message Find more posts by squee Add squee to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xyster
?

You should be be able to pick up a new video card (i'm guessing it's PCI) for about £10 or much less on Ebay. Some of the older Dell systems use Rambus memory which is quite difficult to get hold of (and expensive) posta pic of the RAM and one of us will tell you what it is. The motherboard should have a manufacturer and model number on it - get this and check on the manufacturer website what the RAM configuration is.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-16-2005 10:30 PM
Xyster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xyster Click here to Send Xyster a Private Message Find more posts by Xyster Add Xyster to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote