The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > Polėticās der Mondé > What happens with Bolton?
What will happen with Bolton?
This poll is closed.
Geo. W. gives Bolton recess appointment, he accepts. 5 83.33%
Geo. W gives Bolton recess appointment, he declines (publically). 0 0%
Bolton steps aside as nominee voluntarily. 0 0%
Geo. W. withdraws Bolton nomination. 0 0%
Sanate votes to ratify nomination. 1 16.67%
Total: 6 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
SimpleSimon
Dead Horse Rider

What happens with Bolton?

There are a few major possibilities. What do you think will happen?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-30-2005 02:52 AM
SimpleSimon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SimpleSimon Click here to Send SimpleSimon a Private Message Find more posts by SimpleSimon Add SimpleSimon to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

Hmmm, difficult. I must confess that I have really no idea. Ratification by the Senate is the only option that Bush comes out on top with, unless he achieves it by releasing the information that the Senate Dems want.

So, don't know. I don't think that he'd decline a recess appointment in public, though, I think that the most that would happen is that he'd tell Bush 'no' and so Bush wouldn't try it in public.

Old Post 06-30-2005 03:15 AM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trenchant_Troll
ad hominid

Not difficult at all. Bush is on top. Thinking he isn't is wishful. You'll see.

Old Post 06-30-2005 03:24 AM
Trenchant_Troll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trenchant_Troll Click here to Send Trenchant_Troll a Private Message Find more posts by Trenchant_Troll Add Trenchant_Troll to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

He has until the midterms, so he's time yet. However, he has been able to achieve less in the last 6 months than I (and, I imagine, you) expected. That doesn't mean that he's a busted flush yet, by any means, but he's got ground to make back up.

The big thing for him will be filling Supreme Court vacancies, as he could get to fill two or more. A Gonzalez elevation might face opposition from within his own side, I was reading from Novak (on account of Gonzalez's belief that Roe v Wade is inviolable, even though he is personally against abortion).

Old Post 06-30-2005 03:59 AM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trenchant_Troll
ad hominid

It's all about the big picture, old stick. I could be wrong, but I think that the Dems are gonna lose and lose big for some time to come. Call it a hunch.

Old Post 06-30-2005 04:26 AM
Trenchant_Troll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trenchant_Troll Click here to Send Trenchant_Troll a Private Message Find more posts by Trenchant_Troll Add Trenchant_Troll to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

They are pretty much bound to lose on the Supreme Court nominations, from their position in terms of Senate seats, surely? Anything at all that they get is some sort of victory (if they get anything at all, of course), because they're in a position of weakness. The big benefit Bush has is that his party is in control of everything; of course, should the Congress or Whitehouse fail to deliver, it's him and his party that will get most of the blame, because they are in control. So Bush doesn't just have to win, he has to win handily. Too many close squeaks and he looked embattled and weakened.

I don't have any feeling that the Dems have really hurt themselves in the last few months, though. There have been some missteps, of course, but I don't think that the overall effect is negative for the Dems. It just isn't positive enough for them to, say, take back the House or Senate (indeed, I'd expect them to lose Senate seats, given the ones that are coming up in 2006).

There might be some concern in republican ranks. I was listening to former MO Senator John Danforth (and episcopalian minister) earlier, on NPR, talking about his two recent op-eds where he said that the GOP had become somewhat dominated by the religious right and also said that there were plenty of GOp Congressmen who felt the same. Either he's wrong, or he's lying, or he's right and there are fractures inside the Congressional GOP. Couple that with the allegedly poor 'Congressional Outreach' of Bush (it isn't just Novak that I've heard say it now, but I've heard it from a few sources) and also public disquiet over Iraq and his leadership in that regard, and it isn't implausible that Bush isn't in the driving seat. He's still got cards to try and bring things back into his favour, at least until the mid-terms, but it's not a done deal, I don't think. And don't forget that at least two senior GOP senators are at least as interested in fucking each other up while improving their own presidential chances as they are in mKing life easy for Bush.

Old Post 06-30-2005 04:40 AM
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

Maybe he should make another album.

I want a Trump sex doll.
I would throw it in a Orangutan enclosure
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 06-30-2005 05:19 AM
Large Filipino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Large Filipino Click here to Send Large Filipino a Private Message Visit Large Filipino's homepage! Find more posts by Large Filipino Add Large Filipino to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paint CHiPs
Smartest Man in the World

I think George W. gives Bolton recess appointment, he accepts. Honestly, if I had to pick a single person in this forum that thinks the most like Bush, it would be TT, and that's what he would do, because anything less than that would feel too close to weakness for them, and seeming infalliable and commanding is more important in that worldview than anything else. As evidence of that, see: everything.

Old Post 06-30-2005 05:28 AM
Paint CHiPs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paint CHiPs Click here to Send Paint CHiPs a Private Message Visit Paint CHiPs's homepage! Find more posts by Paint CHiPs Add Paint CHiPs to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paint CHiPs

quote:
Frustrated by Senate Democrats, the White House hinted Monday that President Bush may act soon to sidestep Congress and install embattled nominee John Bolton as ambassador to the United Nations on a temporary basis. White House press secretary Scott McClellan said Bush has used his power for temporary appointments when "he has to get people in place that have waited far too long to get about doing their business." He said that "sometimes there's come a point" when Bush has decided he needs to act.

Bolton's nomination has been stalled for months. . . . Republicans have twice attempted -- and failed -- to break a Democratic filibuster against Bolton's nomination. The White House has ruled out withdrawing Bolton's name, and has called repeatedly for a vote on his nomination.

Old Post 07-25-2005 10:29 PM
Paint CHiPs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paint CHiPs Click here to Send Paint CHiPs a Private Message Visit Paint CHiPs's homepage! Find more posts by Paint CHiPs Add Paint CHiPs to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

At least with a recess appointment he gets the guy in place, but it's second-best, for sure.

Old Post 07-25-2005 10:36 PM
Paint CHiPs

By a lot.

His ability to "shake things up" at the UN will be significantly hampered when he goes in without the backing of the Senate or American people and foreign governments know they won't have to deal with this guy long.

But if the administration keeps stonewalling, the Dems will keep filibustering, so it must be damn important to Bush for some reason to not meet their information requests.

Old Post 07-25-2005 10:43 PM
Paint CHiPs

AP is reporting that Bush will indeed install Bolton during recess, probably Monday. Here.

quote:
President Bush intends to announce next week that he is going around Congress to install embattled nominee John Bolton as the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, senior administration officials said Friday.

Two officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because the president had not made the announcement and Congress wasn't in recess yet, said Bush planned to exercise that authority before he leaves Washington on Tuesday for his ranch. The House recessed on Thursday and the Senate's break was scheduled to begin later Friday.

Old Post 07-30-2005 03:30 AM
Alice
Soft Tissue Damage

It'll be a recess appointment, accepted. Bolton will raise hell for the rest of Bush's tenure with Bush's unqualified approval. We will be waging a War on Terror and a War on the Fucking UN. We shall smite them all.

muahahahahahaha!!!

Because of the timing, and who are we kidding, the absolute lack of anything resembling power, the Dems will squawk about it for two news cycles and on to the SCOTUS, where they will lose again.

They will likely vote for Roberts to camoflage how completely powerless they are.

Old Post 07-31-2005 11:30 PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Soft Tissue Damage

PS--

Woo-hoooo!!!

Old Post 07-31-2005 11:32 PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

It's more an issue of how other ambassadors will deal with him, knowing that he isn't permanent and Bush couldn't get his nomination through.

Old Post 07-31-2005 11:34 PM
Alice
Soft Tissue Damage

I validate your opinion....or, your right to have one...

The facts, however, don't, I don't think.

This isn't going to sound very diplomatic.

{pauses for diplomatic delivery....doesn't come}

The UN is nothing without the US.

Nothing.

They will play nice with our Bolton, or we will send them all home in wooden barrels.

Old Post 07-31-2005 11:42 PM
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

..or listen to his new album!

Attachment: vintage.jpg
This has been downloaded 43 time(s).

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 08-01-2005 12:14 AM
Large Filipino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Large Filipino Click here to Send Large Filipino a Private Message Visit Large Filipino's homepage! Find more posts by Large Filipino Add Large Filipino to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

The US, under Bush, signally failed to get what they wanted out of the UN over Iraq (and have rued it since, oh yes). I think that the US is just the most important component of the UN, but the fact is that getting the required troops to help out in Iraq was dependent on UN approval of the invasion of Iraq, and thus they weren't forthcoming. The US, consequently, is basically shouldering the burden and cost of Iraq to the detriment of its own military recruitment (even with the tricks they pull to massage the statistics, they have missed a lot of targets, even when they lowered the targets) and national indebtedness. I think that what Iraq has shown is how essential the UN is to the US, if the US wishes to pursue the sorts of policies favoured by the current president.

Old Post 08-01-2005 12:14 AM
Alice
Soft Tissue Damage

Analysis of Smug Git's analysis:

The US, under Bush, signally failed to get what they wanted out of the UN over Iraq.

...which would be an issue if that prevented us from actually doing what we wanted to do...

I think that the US is just the most important component of the UN, but the fact is that getting the required troops to help out in Iraq was dependent on UN approval of the invasion of Iraq, and thus they weren't forthcoming.

I think your use of the word "required" is a bit of an overstatement. It would have been nice; it would have been "better"....but obviously, not required.

After making valid points about the financial and recruitment costs, you said...I think that what Iraq has shown is how essential the UN is to the US, if the US wishes to pursue the sorts of policies favoured by the current president.

...to which I would say the very opposite is true. We did what we wanted. We were capable of doing it alone. Name other countries who could have done the same. And, with our opposition....? No, this experiment proved we have no need of them whatsoever. And, now Bolton goes in to straighten them out. I brought popcorn. This will be quite a show...down.

Old Post 08-01-2005 01:06 AM
Alice
Soft Tissue Damage

{I have spied my intended mate, in his habitat...doing that strange, but so identifiable mating ritual--showing Michael Bolton. I have to slyly ignore him, but emit this sound...}

{A moment's privacy, please}

eee....?

Old Post 08-01-2005 01:09 AM
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

EEEE!!!!!

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 08-01-2005 01:27 AM
Alice
Soft Tissue Damage

...forgot rest of mating ritual...it's been a while...

E?

Old Post 08-01-2005 01:45 AM
loser
oxymoran

WARNING WARNING DANGER WILL ROBINSION, RETURN TO THE JUPITER TWO.
WARNING.WARNING. WARNING. DANGER. DANGER.

Old Post 08-01-2005 01:46 AM
loser is offline Click Here to See the Profile for loser Click here to Send loser a Private Message Find more posts by loser Add loser to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

..but her profile says she's rough!
Wait.
I dunno now.

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 08-01-2005 01:49 AM
Coincidence
Counterfeit

quote:
Originally posted by Alice
The US, under Bush, signally failed to get what they wanted out of the UN over Iraq.

...which would be an issue if that prevented us from actually doing what we wanted to do...

Who are 'you', what did 'you' want, and (wait for it....) why?

Old Post 08-01-2005 01:53 AM
Coincidence is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coincidence Click here to Send Coincidence a Private Message Visit Coincidence's homepage! Find more posts by Coincidence Add Coincidence to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote