The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > Sensory Overload > Asylum Book Club > Hair of The Dog by Barbara Oakeley
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

Hair of The Dog by Barbara Oakeley

This is the interesting story of an American woman ( a rather good looking one too) working aboard a Russian fishing vessel collecting the catch of Russian and American trawlers operating in American waters off Alaska. Russian trawlers and collection ships were allowed to trawl for fish in this area provided they had aboard a US inspector to verify the extent of the catch picked up
by the collection ship from each trawler and to attest that they observed the various environmental rules. Mz Oakeley was such an observer. Actually their record of catch weight was not very accurate. They estimated the weight of a catch by making an eyeball estimate of the percent of full that the trawl net was when hauled aboard the collection ship. But the trawler captains were not complaining so why should I. Mz Oakeley was fluent in Russian--except when she got excited.

I personally think that she was a US spy. Why? Well for one thing she had a bachelor's degree in engineering from some college on the west coast--Cal Tech I think--and it is difficult to picture a graduate engineer just starting in the business to be fluent in Russian and at the same time willing to waste two summers up in Alaskan waters counting fish. The Russian ship Captains thought she was a US spy and said so but she denied it as all good spies should. She was knowledgeable enough to recognize precision direction finding antennas on one Russian trawler and I doubt that she got that expertise in college. Incidentally I googled her and learned that she went back to college and got an advanced degree after the fishing episode and is now teaching on the West Coast at a university. I actually hope that she WAS a spy and that she learned all about what the Russians were doing when they were supposed to be catching fish.

This book was not a masterpiece but I enjoyed reading it. Vodka flowed like water on those Russian ships.

Don't kick until yer spurred.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-23-2005 08:46 PM
oxsan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oxsan Click here to Send oxsan a Private Message Visit oxsan's homepage! Find more posts by oxsan Add oxsan to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rokkr
Completely Wack

Made me think of the Martin Cruz Smith novel in the Arkady Renko series, Polar Star. One of the characters is an american observer, a woman who is indeed a spy. But then again the processing boat was loaded with Russian spies too.

Old Post 07-23-2005 10:56 PM
Rokkr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rokkr Click here to Send Rokkr a Private Message Find more posts by Rokkr Add Rokkr to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

Glad that you reminded me of that. I have read"Polar Star" but it was some time ago and the parallel did not occur to me. I like Martin Cruz Smith's writing by the way.

Don't kick until yer spurred.

Old Post 07-24-2005 02:11 AM
oxsan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oxsan Click here to Send oxsan a Private Message Visit oxsan's homepage! Find more posts by oxsan Add oxsan to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote