The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > Sensory Overload > Crash
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Talarohk
Quaffmaster

Crash

I don't remember if there was already a thread about this movie, so what the heck. I rented it and watched it with the wife last night.

I imagine that there are a lot of people who really don't care for it. It might seem preachy. I loved it, big time. It was hard to watch at times--not because it is badly made, but because it is painfully true.

I decided I wanted to see it because of one line in the trailer. It was Sandra Bullock's voice, saying "I'm angry, all the time, and I don't know why", or words to that effect. I'm not sure why that grabbed me, but it did. I'm glad it did.

It seems to me that the story is about how we interact--how so many of us are trapped in a feedback web of anger and fear. Someone hurts us, does something to us which we don't like, and don't understand. It angers us. We need to understand why it happened, and we don't. We can't--so many of the hurtful interactions we experience are due to misunderstanding, miscommunication, and the angrier we get, the more likely we are to misunderstand. So we make up a story about the person who did this to us, sometimes including the idea that they did it because they're black, or Asian, or white, or poor, or rich, or whatever. We tell ourselves that story, and forget that we had to tell it because we didn't *really* understand why it happened. We convice ourselves that we know why, and now when we see the next black/Asian/white/poor/rich person,. that story is between us, and this time we're going to make sure they don't hurt us again.

And, of course, we hurt them first. And they don't understand why we did it, and they make a story. And pretty soon, we're all telling ourselves that we *know* that they're all like that, because look--they're doing it again. And we'd better make sure they can't do it to us, and our families. And the drawbridge goes up, and the boiling oil is readied.

We can't stop. We can't listen. And now we're angry and afraid all the time, and we don't know why.

I guess it's kind of a Buddhist movie--we're all mired in a web of self-generated illusion and misunderstanding, and only nearly miraculous events can free us.

So I found it profoundly meaningful. What did y'all think?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-19-2005 08:24 PM
Talarohk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Talarohk Click here to Send Talarohk a Private Message Visit Talarohk's homepage! Find more posts by Talarohk Add Talarohk to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DevilMoon
passive stalker?

I was at Blockbuster with a friend last week and she said to the clerk, "Hey, I noticed a lot of space on the shelves for Crash, what is that?"

Clerk, completely serious - "Oh, it's a racist movie."

My friend and I looked at each other for a second and the clerk said "You know, like American History X."

It was a really funny answer, but I guess you had to be there.

Old Post 09-19-2005 08:27 PM
DevilMoon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DevilMoon Click here to Send DevilMoon a Private Message Find more posts by DevilMoon Add DevilMoon to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rokkr
Completely Wack

I'm in the ballpark with what you think Tal, but I'd add this. Sometimes our prejudices become self-fulfilling prophesies.

A good example is Matt Dillon's character interacting with the health care lady. As soon as he heard her name was Shaniqua he figured on being badly treated by her; if for no other reason than she wasn't the best person for the job. He got badly treated, but because of his own expectations, not her ability to do the job.

Overall I think the movie is a passionate plea for people to look for who someone is before looking at what they seem.

Old Post 09-19-2005 10:56 PM
Rokkr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rokkr Click here to Send Rokkr a Private Message Find more posts by Rokkr Add Rokkr to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Talarohk
Quaffmaster

I can get behind that, Rokkr.

Old Post 09-19-2005 11:00 PM
Talarohk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Talarohk Click here to Send Talarohk a Private Message Visit Talarohk's homepage! Find more posts by Talarohk Add Talarohk to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mordecai

quote:
Originally posted by Rokkr
Overall I think the movie is a passionate plea for people to look for who someone is before looking at what they seem.

Good luck with that.

-m

Old Post 09-20-2005 12:38 AM
Mordecai is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mordecai Click here to Send Mordecai a Private Message Find more posts by Mordecai Add Mordecai to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dogcow
brucoš

it was rokkr's comment in the other thread that made me see it and it was excellent. a movie with a moral. been awfully long since i've seen one of those and one that brings its message across so strongly. i especially liked that the movie knew what it was about and stayed focused on it until the end. i'll have to see it again sometime.

Old Post 09-23-2005 10:11 PM
dogcow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dogcow Click here to Send dogcow a Private Message Find more posts by dogcow Add dogcow to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hawley Griffin
.308 winchester

quote:
Originally posted by dogcow
been awfully long since i've seen one of those and one that brings its message across so strongly.

the message being that everyone is a racist cunt ...with a heart?

*breaks out in a disney song*

From the day we arrive on the planet
And blinking, step into the sun
There's more to see than can ever be seen
More to do than can ever be done
There's far too much to take in here
More to find than can ever be found
But the sun rolling high
Through the sapphire sky
Keeps great and small on the endless round

It's the circle of life
And it moves us all
Through despair and hope
Through faith and love
Till we find our place
On the path unwinding
In the circle
The circle of life

Old Post 09-23-2005 10:47 PM
Hawley Griffin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hawley Griffin Click here to Send Hawley Griffin a Private Message Find more posts by Hawley Griffin Add Hawley Griffin to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dogcow
brucoš

quote:
Originally posted by Hawley Griffin
the message being that everyone is a racist cunt ...with a heart?

i don't recall everyone in the movie being a racist cunt, or having a heart for that matter.

Old Post 09-23-2005 10:55 PM
dogcow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dogcow Click here to Send dogcow a Private Message Find more posts by dogcow Add dogcow to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hawley Griffin
.308 winchester

oh golly! you got me there

so what is the message that the movie brings across so strongly?

Old Post 09-23-2005 10:57 PM
Hawley Griffin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hawley Griffin Click here to Send Hawley Griffin a Private Message Find more posts by Hawley Griffin Add Hawley Griffin to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dogcow
brucoš

quote:

well, like the clerk said, the same one as in american history x.

Old Post 09-23-2005 11:05 PM
Hawley Griffin
.308 winchester

that curb stomping and buttsex is awesome?

Old Post 09-23-2005 11:09 PM
dogcow
brucoš

hey, whatever works for you.

Old Post 09-23-2005 11:11 PM
Talarohk
Quaffmaster

quote:

Er, well, if you want my perspective, you could read the rest of the thread. Rokkr also puts in his opinion.

It's not exactly that everyone is a racist cunt with a heart. It's that most of us are so enwrapped with layers of anger and fear, feeling that we have been misunderstood and mistreated, that we spend our energy misunderstanding and mistreating others. And that it can take pretty dramatic events to break that cycle.
Also that even the best of us are vulnerable to it, and even the worst of us might get a chance at redemption.

Old Post 09-23-2005 11:45 PM
Hawley Griffin
.308 winchester

anger is one of those things that ive always had a very hard time understanding. every time i see or am around an angry person my mind just boggles.

Old Post 09-23-2005 11:49 PM
Talarohk
Quaffmaster

Do you think, then, that there is nothing worth being angry about? Or that anger is useless, and those things which make some people angry are better responded to with a different emotion?

When I was younger, I felt similarly about anger; I would do almost anything to avoid making someone angry, and had pretty much convinced myself that I never felt it. I still don't get angry at individual people very often, but there are plenty of situations which make me feel angry. In the end, I think there may be a difference between anger born of fear and anger born of injustice.

I am curious about your throughts on anger, Hawley.

Old Post 09-23-2005 11:53 PM
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

I posted that I watched this movie in the movie thread and said this is definetly the best movie I have watched all year.
I'm gonna buy this for my collection.

quote:
I decided I wanted to see it because of one line in the trailer. It was Sandra Bullock's voice, saying "I'm angry, all the time, and I don't know why", or words to that effect. I'm not sure why that grabbed me, but it did. I'm glad it did.

Hell yea that grabbed me too.
What she said to her maid got me as well.
Hell. All kinds of shit grabbed me.
What the black Escalade owner said to the car thief....too much to list.
This is an absolutely everyone must see movie. You will totally miss out if you skip this.
And no. It's not a racist movie.
It's more like..reality.
The last scene with the hitchhiker though was a little over the top,but it tied together so well.

I want a Trump sex doll.
I would throw it in a Orangutan enclosure
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 09-23-2005 11:56 PM
Large Filipino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Large Filipino Click here to Send Large Filipino a Private Message Visit Large Filipino's homepage! Find more posts by Large Filipino Add Large Filipino to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

quote:

I'll have to spoiler this for an answer.
[spoiler]
Rokkr is spot on with the answer. That basically you don't need to be afraid of the way someone looks,and don't fucking label and judge people.

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 09-24-2005 12:10 AM
Large Filipino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Large Filipino Click here to Send Large Filipino a Private Message Visit Large Filipino's homepage! Find more posts by Large Filipino Add Large Filipino to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hawley Griffin
.308 winchester

quote:
Originally posted by Talarohk
Do you think, then, that there is nothing worth being angry about? Or that anger is useless, and those things which make

some people angry are better responded to with a different emotion?

When I was younger, I felt similarly about anger; I would do almost anything to avoid making someone angry, and had pretty

much convinced myself that I never felt it. I still don't get angry at individual people very often, but there are plenty of

situations which make me feel angry. In the end, I think there may be a difference between anger born of fear and anger born

of injustice.

I am curious about your throughts on anger, Hawley.

i find anger to be pretty useless, as it rarely changes anything, it just adds more fuel to the fire.

a good example of this would be one of my co-workers, who, when something doesn't go his way, starts shouting and kicking

things over. this fit of anger doesn't change a damn thing. there is no doubt in my mind that he would be a lot better off

if he just thought of it as encouragement to do better next time.

i said earlier that i don't understand anger and thats true, however that doesn't mean i can't get angry. i think that for

the last 10 years i've only become angry at a handfull of occations (after each time ive felt naive, though i don't regret

any of them), the time between each event has been increasing which is immensly satisfying on a personal level. i can thank

my upbringing and my father for this trait (im a lot calmer then he is).

those times that i have gotten angry it has always been because of a person. situations (local or abroad) don't affect me at all. i remember when the tsunami hit last christmas, lots of people i knew were worried about what had happend. but i felt nothing. i guess i just tend to attach my self to my immediate surroundings rather then whats happening on TV.

i agree with you that i think there is a clear difference between anger born from fear and from injustice. the later usualy having bitterness has a companion.

Old Post 09-24-2005 12:44 AM
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

it'll be impressive when you blow up

Old Post 09-24-2005 12:55 AM
Mugtoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mugtoe Click here to Send Mugtoe a Private Message Find more posts by Mugtoe Add Mugtoe to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hawley Griffin
.308 winchester

quote:
Originally posted by Mugtoe
it'll be impressive when you blow up

i deal with what bothers me, i don't repress it.
edit: after all people that do repress themselves tend to be pretty angry or frusterated all the time

Old Post 09-24-2005 12:58 AM
Talarohk
Quaffmaster

quote:
i find anger to be pretty useless, as it rarely changes anything, it just adds more fuel to the fire.

a good example of this would be one of my co-workers, who, when something doesn't go his way, starts shouting and kicking things over. this fit of anger doesn't change a damn thing. there is no doubt in my mind that he would be a lot better off if he just thought of it as encouragement to do better next time.
Yes, this sounds like my four-year-old. Anger resulting from frustration--I think we all feel that, but as you say, we learn to control or rechannel it, since in the form of kicking things it is useless.
quote:
i said earlier that i don't understand anger and thats true, however that doesn't mean i can't get angry. i think that for the last 10 years i've only become angry at a handfull of occations (after each time ive felt naive, though i don't regret any of them), the time between each event has been increasing which is immensly satisfying on a personal level. i can thank my upbringing and my father for this trait (im a lot calmer then he is).
I have learned a lot about my own anger, but there is still a lot of it that I don't understand, too. Do you feel like you're angry less often because you are better at controlling it, because you have fewer things to be angry about, or because you don't care enough about things to get angry?

quote:
those times that i have gotten angry it has always been because of a person. situations (local or abroad) don't affect me at all. i remember when the tsunami hit last christmas, lots of people i knew were worried about what had happend. but i felt nothing. i guess i just tend to attach my self to my immediate surroundings rather then whats happening on TV.
Interesting. Is it that you only become angry about a situation (in the form of a person's actions) when it has a direct effect on you? That would make sense to me. I definitely find that things right in front of me elicit a stronger emotional response, in general.
quote:
i agree with you that i think there is a clear difference between anger born from fear and from injustice. the later usualy having bitterness has a companion.
Yeah, when we feel angry because of a personal injustice, it is often accompanied by a feeling of bitterness, which might also create a need for vengeance. Actually, that goes back to the movie, it seems to me--anger about an injustice against oneself or one's people creating a need for revenge, which leads one to treat the target of one's anger unjustly.

I guess it is necessary to correctly identify both the nature of the injustice (accidental or deliberate), and the actual perpetrator, when deciding what do do about the anger.

Old Post 09-24-2005 01:01 AM
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

quote:
after all people that do repress themselves tend to be pretty angry or frusterated all the time

That's wisdom there. Here-[p]

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 09-24-2005 01:25 AM
Hawley Griffin
.308 winchester

quote:
I have learned a lot about my own anger, but there is still a lot of it that I don't understand, too. Do you feel like

you're angry less often because you are better at controlling it, because you have fewer things to be angry about, or

because you don't care enough about things to get angry?

all 3 id say. when you start thinking analytically about whats happening around you, it becomes more apperant that things

that are out of your control ... really are out of your control. accidents (of all shapes and sizes) for an example, which

lots of people take way too seriously.
then you start realizing that because you couldn't have prevented it, there is no reason to let it bother you, which cuts

down the number of agressive events/things in your surroundings grealy.

quote:
Interesting. Is it that you only become angry about a situation (in the form of a person's actions) when it has a direct

effect on you? That would make sense to me. I definitely find that things right in front of me elicit a stronger emotional

response, in general.

its definatly got to affect me personaly in a focused way. i don't recall ever getting angry because someone/something was bothering someone close to me.

i tend to look at the larger picture and work things out form there.example; when my sister had a miscarriage, the whole family got worked up because of it, but i remaind calm knowing well that she would pull through and get well again.

obviously that incident hasn't got much/anything to do with anger, but it does show that giving yourself a little time to think things through before acting in anyway help you keep calm and remain relaxed in the worst of situations.
this is however no indicator of high inteligence far as i can see, most smart and dumb people tend to react the same way. which perhaps indicates that if people took some time to take care of themselves then they will treat others in a better way

Old Post 09-24-2005 01:37 AM
Mordecai

No way, it's much more fun to beat the piss out of things with my rigging axe.

-m

Old Post 09-24-2005 01:48 AM
Mordecai is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mordecai Click here to Send Mordecai a Private Message Find more posts by Mordecai Add Mordecai to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

Hawley's words could be spoken by Hannibal Lector.
That is so fucking cool!

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 09-24-2005 02:28 AM