The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > Polěticŕs der Mondé > A Tur - Irq
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Trenchant_Troll
ad hominid

A Tur - Irq

quote:

Turkey signals it's prepared to enter Iraq

By LOUIS MEIXLER, Associated Press WriterTue Jul 18, 2:25 PM ET

Turkish officials signaled Tuesday they are prepared to send the army into northern Iraq if U.S. and Iraqi forces do not take steps to combat Turkish Kurdish guerrillas there — a move that could put Turkey on a collision course with the United States.

Turkey is facing increasing domestic pressure to act after 15 soldiers, police and guards were killed fighting the guerrillas in southeastern Turkey in the past week.

"The government is really in a bind," said Seyfi Tashan, director of the Foreign Policy Institute at Bilkent University in Ankara. "On the one hand, they don't want things to break down with the United States. On the other hand, the public is crying for action."

Diplomats and experts cautioned the increasingly aggressive Turkish statements were likely aimed at calming public anger and pressing the U.S. and Iraq to act against the Turkish Kurdish guerrillas. But they also said Turkish politicians and military officers could act if nothing is done.

U.S. officials in Turkey and Washington were in contact with Turkish officials and military commanders to press them to work with Washington to combat the guerrillas and not to act alone, a Western diplomat said, speaking on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the subject.

Turkey's NTV television and Hurriyet newspaper reported the government has told the military to draw up plans for a push into northern Iraq and to advise on the possibilities such an incursion could lead to a clash with Iraqi Kurds or U.S. troops.

Any operation was unlikely before the end of August, when the current military chief of staff is replaced by an officer widely regarded as a hard-liner, NTV said.

The Western diplomat said the Turkish military long has had plans for fighting guerrillas in northern Iraq. These range from limited artillery and airstrikes on guerrilla bases, to attacks by commando forces and a broader ground offensive.

American officials, including Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, have repeatedly warned Turkey against entering northern Iraq, one of the few stable areas of the country.

U.S. Ambassador Ross Wilson said Turkish, Iraqi and U.S. cooperation is a "more sensible way to go forward than perhaps to ... try to do it unilaterally."

Nechirvan Barzani, prime minister of the Kurdistan regional government in northern Iraq, appeared to be addressing Turkish concerns when he said Tuesday that Iraqi Kurds "won't allow anyone to harm our neighbors by using our territory."

But he also said the problem with the guerrillas "cannot be solved through military means alone," Turkey's DHA news agency reported.

Turkey considers the guerrillas terrorists and has refused to talk with them.

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan appeared to confirm reports that the military was ordered to draft plans when he said Tuesday: "We know how to take care of (terrorism) on our own... Our competent units are making preparations and will continue to do so."

Erdogan's spokesman, Akif Beki, refused to comment, but referred to a statement Monday by government spokesman Cemil Cicek. Cicek called on Iraqi and U.S. forces to take stronger action against the rebels and warned that if they did not, "Turkey is going to use its international rights until the very end."

Officials reported no unusual military activity in the border regions.

A Turkish push into northern Iraq could also threaten relations with European Union countries, which have been pressing Turkey to improve rights for minority Kurds.

The Turkish Kurdish guerrillas are mostly based in the Qandil mountains, an area 50 miles from the Turkish border with Iran. From Iraq, the guerrillas infiltrate southeastern Turkey to stage attacks.

Turkey has long had some 2,000 troops in northern Iraq near the border monitoring the area. But if Turkey sent in military units they would have to travel through territory controlled by Iraqi Kurds.

"I don't think it is Turkey's desire to stage an intervention in northern Iraq," said Ilter Turan, professor of international relations at Istanbul Bilgi University. Turkey "is simply trying to draw attention to the fact that it is an untenable position."

LINK

I tried to tell you meatsacks a long time ago, but you didn't listen. WWIII is here. It arrived in a mismarked package, but it is here. Are ypu gonna listen this time? Does it matter if you do?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-19-2006 01:35 AM
Trenchant_Troll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trenchant_Troll Click here to Send Trenchant_Troll a Private Message Find more posts by Trenchant_Troll Add Trenchant_Troll to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lucidnightmare
Pro Snowflake

It's a fucking mess.

Old Post 07-19-2006 03:18 AM
lucidnightmare is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lucidnightmare Click here to Send lucidnightmare a Private Message Find more posts by lucidnightmare Add lucidnightmare to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nutrimentia
plata o plomo

I called WWIII on 9/11, yo.

Old Post 07-19-2006 05:08 AM
Nutrimentia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nutrimentia Click here to Send Nutrimentia a Private Message Visit Nutrimentia's homepage! Find more posts by Nutrimentia Add Nutrimentia to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lucidnightmare
Pro Snowflake

A fucking mess.

Old Post 07-19-2006 05:09 AM
lucidnightmare is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lucidnightmare Click here to Send lucidnightmare a Private Message Find more posts by lucidnightmare Add lucidnightmare to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHiPsJr
Ginger-headed Troll

Curse that warmonger Mohammed bin Butterball.

I wouldn't worry. The US already has an army there. They'll just bounce.

Unless...A IRA S Turkish A Tur-IRQ???

Last edited by CHiPsJr on 07-19-2006 at 05:25 AM

Old Post 07-19-2006 05:20 AM
CHiPsJr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHiPsJr Click here to Send CHiPsJr a Private Message Find more posts by CHiPsJr Add CHiPsJr to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lucidnightmare
Pro Snowflake

We do have an army of sharks somewhere don't we?

Old Post 07-19-2006 05:23 AM
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

Re: A Tur - Irq

quote:
Originally posted by Trenchant_Troll
LINK

I tried to tell you meatsacks a long time ago, but you didn't listen. WWIII is here. It arrived in a mismarked package, but it is here. Are ypu gonna listen this time? Does it matter if you do?

This is exactly what some people warned about with regards to Bush's Iraq policy, right back before the invasion happened when concerns about the lack of a post-war strategy were surfacing. I hope it doesn't happen (and I'm not at all convinced that it will, yet, at least), but this is something that Bush was warned about and something that was always liable to happen if the Kurds weren't forced to play nice.

Old Post 07-19-2006 05:23 AM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHiPsJr
Ginger-headed Troll

Well, it's hard to say whether the Iraqi Kurds can be definitively blamed, though they'd certainly share the same sort of culpability that, for instance, the Lebanese government would for Hezbollah raids into Israel.

I wonder how many people who consider Israel the aggressors in Lebanon will apply the same standards to Turkey. And how many who believe Israel's justified will say the same of similar behavior by an Islamic nation.

Old Post 07-19-2006 05:28 AM
CHiPsJr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHiPsJr Click here to Send CHiPsJr a Private Message Find more posts by CHiPsJr Add CHiPsJr to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SimpleSimon
Dead Horse Rider

Turkey would be perfectly justified in so acting. The US has abjectly failed to control the Kurds (so has everyone else in history), and Turkey has been very forthright in warning that they would not tolerate an independent Kurdish state on their flank. Who can blame them?

Last edited by SimpleSimon on 07-19-2006 at 05:49 AM

Old Post 07-19-2006 05:43 AM
SimpleSimon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SimpleSimon Click here to Send SimpleSimon a Private Message Find more posts by SimpleSimon Add SimpleSimon to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
3MTA3
Same Tired Monkey

They wont do shit.

Old Post 07-19-2006 07:35 AM
3MTA3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 3MTA3 Click here to Send 3MTA3 a Private Message Visit 3MTA3's homepage! Find more posts by 3MTA3 Add 3MTA3 to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mudded
+/-?

To a greater Kurdistan!

Cheers
-m

Old Post 07-19-2006 10:12 AM
mudded is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mudded Click here to Send mudded a Private Message Visit mudded's homepage! Find more posts by mudded Add mudded to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mudded
+/-?

Attachment: shrooms.jpg
This has been downloaded 117 time(s).

Old Post 07-19-2006 10:39 AM
mudded is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mudded Click here to Send mudded a Private Message Visit mudded's homepage! Find more posts by mudded Add mudded to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coincidence
Counterfeit

Re: A Tur - Irq

quote:
Originally posted by Trenchant_Troll
WWIII is here. It arrived in a mismarked package, but it is here. Are ypu gonna listen this time? Does it matter if you do?

Tack

WWIII keeps disappointing me.

Old Post 07-19-2006 12:03 PM
Coincidence is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coincidence Click here to Send Coincidence a Private Message Visit Coincidence's homepage! Find more posts by Coincidence Add Coincidence to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nutrimentia
plata o plomo

It would be understandable if Turkey did such a thing, considering that they've exhausted all reasonable options for dealing with the Turkurds. Oh wait...

Old Post 07-20-2006 12:59 AM
Nutrimentia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nutrimentia Click here to Send Nutrimentia a Private Message Visit Nutrimentia's homepage! Find more posts by Nutrimentia Add Nutrimentia to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mudded
+/-?

It seems that the kurdish provinces of Iraq are getting mightily close to having a de-facto state.

- Reconstruction is going on at a blinding pace
- There are no arabs in the armed forces of that region. They are all kurds
- Kurdish government officials are inviting foreign oil companies in to do test drilling, independently of any policy making in baghdad.
- Kirkuk is getting a vote to decide if they want to be part of the kurdish home rule or larger Iraq.
- All treaties with turkey have been declared void, as they were the works of Saddam Hussein. This revokes turkeys legal ability to fight the PKK on Iraqi soil.

This is as close to fulfilling a 300 year old kurdish dream as they have ever been, IMHO. It it obvious that turkey is scared shitless that this newly found independence will spread beyond the Iraqi border. If (when) Kirkuk becomes part of the Kurdish home rule, that region will become an economic powerhouse (through oil) to boot. This prospect must make the Turks even more antsy.

Interesting times
-m

Old Post 07-20-2006 04:36 PM
Serial Thriller
Fluffy Bunny

U.S. Ambassador Ross Wilson said Turkish, Iraqi and U.S. cooperation is a "more sensible way to go forward than perhaps to ... try to do it unilaterally."

HA HA HA HA HA! HA HA HA HA HA! HA HA HA HA HA! HA HA HA HA HA! HA HA HA HA HA! HA HA HA HA HA! HA HA HA HA HA! HA HA HA HA HA! HA HA HA HA HA! HA HA HA HA HA! HA HA HA HA HA! HA HA HA HA HA! HA HA HA HA HA!

Old Post 07-20-2006 06:55 PM
Serial Thriller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Serial Thriller Click here to Send Serial Thriller a Private Message Find more posts by Serial Thriller Add Serial Thriller to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lucidnightmare
Pro Snowflake

Why shouldn't the Kurds have a right to a homeland?

Old Post 07-20-2006 08:17 PM
SimpleSimon
Dead Horse Rider

quote:
Originally posted by lucidnightmare
Why shouldn't the Kurds have a right to a homeland?

Why shouldn't their ancestral lands be returned to the Cherokee?

Old Post 07-20-2006 08:50 PM
SimpleSimon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SimpleSimon Click here to Send SimpleSimon a Private Message Find more posts by SimpleSimon Add SimpleSimon to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lucidnightmare
Pro Snowflake

They would have to take it,just like the Kurds will.

Old Post 07-20-2006 08:57 PM
mudded
+/-?

Government officials: Sectarian break-up of Iraq is now inevitable

Kurdistan, Sunni Iraq and Shiite (Iranian) Iraq may be a possible outcome of all this.

hm
-m

Last edited by mudded on 07-24-2006 at 03:54 PM

Old Post 07-24-2006 03:51 PM
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

quote:
Originally posted by lucidnightmare
They would have to take it,just like the Kurds will.

Turkey has the second biggest military in NATO. If the Kurds want a homeland, they'd better stick inside Iraq and tread very carefully around Turkey.

Of course, a sectarian break-up of Iraq means that Bush's policy has failed in an important part, because 'undivided' was part of the plan.

Old Post 07-24-2006 04:33 PM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SimpleSimon
Dead Horse Rider

An independent Kurdistan in former northern Iraq will be an endless bloody thorn in Turkey's side. They have repeatedly publically stated that they will not tolerate such acting as an instigator to ongoing rebellion by ethnic Kurds inside Turkey. I take them at their word.

Old Post 07-24-2006 05:25 PM
lucidnightmare
Pro Snowflake

What gives Plalestinians rights that Kurds don't have?

Old Post 07-24-2006 05:29 PM
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

Kurds already have rights that Palestinians don't have, in effect.

But, of course, some of the Palestinians are also following your 'take the land' advice.

Old Post 07-24-2006 06:48 PM
lucidnightmare
Pro Snowflake

But some of you seem so supportive of Palestinians yet not Kurds.It just seems odd.

Old Post 07-24-2006 06:50 PM