The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > Pads 'n Nads (& mousepads) > Bill Simmons - Choosing my EPL Team
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
urbanjunkie

Bill Simmons - Choosing my EPL Team

quote:
Picking an English Premier League team is like picking a new car: If you don't throw yourself into it and assimilate as much information as possible, you could end up getting stuck with a lemon. That's why I spent the past seven days sifting through over 4,000 reader suggestions, downloading YouTube clips, surfing goofy European sites, checking out every team's sponsors and jerseys, Googling every team's name along with the phrase "celebrity fans," TiVo-ing old EPL games on DirecTV's channel 613, reading up on team histories and everything else.

And you know what? Much like buying a car, the whole process was more enjoyable than I thought it would be (as evidenced by the fact that this column is in two parts and over 6,000 words). Honestly, I haven't liked soccer since the New England Tea Men were thriving back in the mid-'70s, and I'm making the leap based on the fact that it's servicable TV fodder in the mornings when I'm answering e-mails and reading various Web sites. But soccer does have the one thing that drew me to sports in the first place: Great crowds. There's nothing like following a sport with fans who know how to make a big game feel even bigger.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page...=simmons/060719

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-19-2006 06:39 PM
urbanjunkie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for urbanjunkie Click here to Send urbanjunkie a Private Message Find more posts by urbanjunkie Add urbanjunkie to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mmmtravis
stealthy ninja

I'm willing to buy that EPL is of a much greater caliber (not calibre) than MLS, and therefore exceedingly more enjoyable to watch. The problem, however, for the average American, is that without spending a shitload of money for an extravagant digital cable soccer package, barely any of these games are televised.

Either way, good article. Hopefully is soccer becomes more popular in the US, even if it is just watching EPL matches, we will demand to import better players into our current system.

Regardless of our failures in international competition, the US has the best domestic football, baseball, basketball, and hockey leagues in the World. We simply can't cheer for soccer when we have third rate players.

Old Post 07-19-2006 09:26 PM
mmmtravis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mmmtravis Click here to Send mmmtravis a Private Message Visit mmmtravis's homepage! Find more posts by mmmtravis Add mmmtravis to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

FSN show EPL matches and I would think that more and more people are going to have access to that. But these things are bound to grow slow because the marketplace is already crowded. I do know, though, that around here a lot of kids are watching EPL matches on TV and are following European football. Whether or not they continue with that is the key.

Old Post 07-19-2006 09:32 PM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

'The spurs'?

Old Post 07-19-2006 09:44 PM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
urbanjunkie

You think thats bad? He mentions the 'Jew Army' (rather than Yid Army).

hehe, its cute.

Old Post 07-19-2006 09:48 PM
urbanjunkie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for urbanjunkie Click here to Send urbanjunkie a Private Message Find more posts by urbanjunkie Add urbanjunkie to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

I wonder if the quality of the research is linked to the eventual choice?

The Man City advice he got was good, though.

Old Post 07-19-2006 09:54 PM
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

And I'm meeting macker for a beer next Wednesday, if you're still up for that.

Old Post 07-19-2006 09:54 PM
urbanjunkie

Ouch. Wednesday. Maybe.

Old Post 07-19-2006 11:21 PM
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

There's a thread in TLF.

This is your once in a year chance to be taunted in person for being a mummy's boy.

Old Post 07-19-2006 11:24 PM
Cockney_Rebel
Scarred for Life

If his mum'll let him out, that is.

Old Post 07-19-2006 11:25 PM
Cockney_Rebel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cockney_Rebel Click here to Send Cockney_Rebel a Private Message Find more posts by Cockney_Rebel Add Cockney_Rebel to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
urbanjunkie

Cockney, dont try and do the smug jokes mate. It doesnt work unless the master does it.

fucking hell, school kids nowadays....tut tut.

Old Post 07-19-2006 11:31 PM
Cockney_Rebel
Scarred for Life

quote:
Originally posted by urbanjunkie
It doesnt work unless the master does it.

The master? Fair enough. Smug's a clever guy, there's no doubt. But, have you seen the shirts he wears? Or the hats?

I think it's better to live life knowing that you are the only master. Anything else and your just a sorry subordinate with a slight shade of brown on your nose. Hold on, you've got a brown nose already!

Fuckin' spic.

Old Post 07-19-2006 11:50 PM
Cockney_Rebel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cockney_Rebel Click here to Send Cockney_Rebel a Private Message Find more posts by Cockney_Rebel Add Cockney_Rebel to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
urbanjunkie

thanks for the life story.

Old Post 07-19-2006 11:51 PM
Cockney_Rebel
Scarred for Life

No problem. Just leave the de-niro on the side.

Old Post 07-19-2006 11:52 PM
mmmtravis
stealthy ninja

Okay, after reading the lengthy article (even if it's poorly research, as you claim), I think I have to go with Newcastle United. They are officially my favorite EPL team, and yes, it's half because of the beer and half because of that mediocre but entertaining GOAL! movie that came out in the US.

Do we have any other Newcastle fans here? I would much like to discuss our chances.

Old Post 07-20-2006 01:11 AM
mmmtravis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mmmtravis Click here to Send mmmtravis a Private Message Visit mmmtravis's homepage! Find more posts by mmmtravis Add mmmtravis to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
urbanjunkie

give me a few days to finish off my football forum and you can chat to a poor bastard newcastle fan to your hearts content. just dont mind if i laugh at the two of you.

Old Post 07-20-2006 01:26 AM
mmmtravis
stealthy ninja

Sounds great.

Simmons said Newcastle is a popular Spring Break spot? I find that hard to believe... gets a little chilly, even in the spring there, right?

Old Post 07-20-2006 01:32 AM
mmmtravis
stealthy ninja

I'll also need a favorite player. Shay Given seems to be the highest indexed player on the EPL website, but I sort of want to root for a darker fellow.

Old Post 07-20-2006 01:48 AM
CHiPsJr
Ginger-headed Troll

quote:
Originally posted by mmmtravis
Regardless of our failures in international competition, the US has the best domestic football, baseball, basketball, and hockey leagues in the World. We simply can't cheer for soccer when we have third rate players.

Maybe YOU can't. 15,000 fans a game say otherwise.

Old Post 07-20-2006 03:37 AM
CHiPsJr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHiPsJr Click here to Send CHiPsJr a Private Message Find more posts by CHiPsJr Add CHiPsJr to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
urbanjunkie

Freddy Adu inspired DC Utd to a 4-0 win over Celtic the other day. Shocking.

Old Post 07-20-2006 03:44 AM
mmmtravis
stealthy ninja

quote:
Originally posted by CHiPsJr
Maybe YOU can't. 15,000 fans a game say otherwise.
So you disagree that the MLS is about as popular as the WNBA here? Yes, you're right, I can't bare to watch the games, but neither can MOST people. There aren't nearly enough fans to create a league anywhere near as prosporous as the NBA, MLB, or the NFL. And this isn't a flawed sport, as the rest of the world will attest to, it is a flawed league that garners little more attention than Arena Football.

International superstars such as Ronaldino have turned downed super lucrative contracts to play for MLS clubs, why do you think that is the case?

Old Post 07-20-2006 04:48 AM
CHiPsJr
Ginger-headed Troll

quote:
So you disagree that the MLS is about as popular as the WNBA here?

Yes, given that MLS attendence more than doubles the WNBAs WITHOUT the benefit of a compulsory major network contract and massive hype by a "big brother" league, I do indeed disagree with that statement.

quote:
Yes, you're right, I can't bare to watch the games, but neither can MOST people. There aren't nearly enough fans to create a league anywhere near as prosporous as the NBA, MLB, or the NFL. And this isn't a flawed sport, as the rest of the world will attest to, it is a flawed league that garners little more attention than Arena Football.

Irrelevant comparisons. MLS is eleven years old. It doesn't need to outdraw the NBA or MLB; it needs to make a profit. Which it does in the markets where teams control the stadia...and by next year, that will be nine of the twelve markets in the league.

I could care less about mainstream "attention". We need a product that pleases American soccer fans. It does that to a substantial enough degree that it outdraws all but seven national leagues on earth. By your standard, the league is less flawed than the Dutch Eredivisie or the Argentine first division. By my standard, it's not flawed at all: the experience of watching live soccer among active, enthusiastic fans is just plain better than sitting in front of the TV watching an EPL team to which I have no emotional connection.

quote:
International superstars such as Ronaldino have turned downed super lucrative contracts to play for MLS clubs, why do you think that is the case?

Same reason he's not playing in the EPL. He was offered more money to play on a better team.

Funny. Nobody's abandoning the EPL because Ronaldinho's not there. I guess the fans there must have other priorities. As do we. 15,000 of us per game on average. Join us or not as you like.

Old Post 07-20-2006 08:15 AM
CHiPsJr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHiPsJr Click here to Send CHiPsJr a Private Message Find more posts by CHiPsJr Add CHiPsJr to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mmmtravis
stealthy ninja

quote:
Originally posted by CHiPsJr
Join us or not as you like.
Fair enough points.

GO MAGPIES!

Old Post 07-20-2006 08:38 AM
CHiPsJr
Ginger-headed Troll

And by the same token, you are correct that the league will do even better when the quality of play improves. That's coming; steadier profits will lead to more prestigious signings.

Nothing wrong with EPL on TV OR with MLS live. Fortunately, we don't have to choose.

Old Post 07-20-2006 08:56 AM
urbanjunkie

*spam*

My temporary message board is up. Excuse the simplistic layout and style. The plan is (fingers crossed) to switch over to the final site/forum in the next week or so.

http://www.footballpie.com/board/index.php

*spam*

Old Post 07-21-2006 01:24 AM