The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > Medical ethics and you.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
bowmore
drive by drunk

Question Medical ethics and you.

A recent trial of Aids medication cocktails has brought to light a regularly occuring debate among doctors, patients, scientist and medical ethics professionals.

In these studies one group is given the trial medication while another is given a placebo. This is to provide a control to the experiment, an essential experimental tool.

This controversy is exacerbated when the disease they may slow or cure are life threatening ailments.

Is it right to give half of the patients in a clinical study a placebo while the other half receive real medication with a potential for harm or benefit?

Are Aids or Cancer patients in these studies being served by these double blind controlled studies or are people being harmed by the scientific method?

What do you think?

selah.

------------------
Happiness is a moveable feast.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-14-2000 03:32 AM
bowmore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowmore Click here to Send bowmore a Private Message Find more posts by bowmore Add bowmore to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paint CHiPs
Smartest Man in the World

I don't know.

I could go through this line of reasoning and render the entire question moot:

Before the experiment, all participants are legally bound to sign a bunch of forms saying they know exactly what they are getting into. If they are not comfortable with the fact that they may not recieve real treatment, then they don't have to do it at all. Thus, the question becomes moot, whether it is right or not is irrelevent, they agree to the terms of the experiments.

However, answering it that way doesn't really do the question justice.

So, let me try another way.

Say the experimental treatment is very groundbreaking. Does a lot of good.

Then, by going into the experiment, you have a 50/50 chance of getting some really valuable treatment. Were you not a part of that experiment, the chances would be 0/0.

Or, as in most cases, the treatment could be harmful as well.

If that is the case, then the placebo would be right in the middle. The chances would be A: you get good treatment. B: You get nothing. C: You get harmful treatment.

But all of that is rather irrelevent as well.

In the end, what I think it comes down to is that it is neccessary. For all the 50 or so participants who may not get the good treatment, just the harmful or the placebo, it advances medical technology and thus could potentially ensure that millions of people gain the benefits.

It is a gamble either way.

For the participants, there is the gamble of the placebo versus the good treatment. They go in accepting that contract and that gamble.

To society, there is the gamble of the harm to the few for the good of the whole.

And we accept these experiments becuase we accept that social contract as well.

Good thread.

Old Post 12-14-2000 03:42 AM
Paint CHiPs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paint CHiPs Click here to Send Paint CHiPs a Private Message Visit Paint CHiPs's homepage! Find more posts by Paint CHiPs Add Paint CHiPs to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
missphinx
Edgy the Budgie

Clinical drug trials are primarily intended for drugs not yet available to the public.

Participants in a trial have a chance of receiving a drug that otherwise would not be available to them at all.

If the drugs aren't tested thoroughly, *no one* will get them. Studies often involve placebos so that results are accurate.

Participants are informed of the possible risks involved and of the chance they have for receiving a placebo.

U.S. federal regulations for human subject participation in clinical trials and other research studies are quite strict and are becoming stricter.

Old Post 12-14-2000 03:46 AM
missphinx is offline Click Here to See the Profile for missphinx Click here to Send missphinx a Private Message Find more posts by missphinx Add missphinx to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowmore
drive by drunk

Just to play DA:

People with aids or Cancer might argue that they are waiting, not knowing, possibly getting placebos while a drug which saves them is being given to others.

They want thier treament and they want it NOW!

If it does harm? What do they care. They are the dying.

And clinical trials are often the only way some of these people can afford new cutting edge medications.

They are willing guinea pigs. Offering what is left of thier lives for science and a slim hope.

Remember, A clinical study on 100 people is good. A study on 200 is better.

selah.

------------------------
Happiness is a moveable feast.

Old Post 12-14-2000 03:47 AM
bowmore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowmore Click here to Send bowmore a Private Message Find more posts by bowmore Add bowmore to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wonderaz
Sarky Bastard

The needs of many outweigh the needs of a few.

Plus, if I was one of the few and was offered the chance to participate in a blind test when death was imminent and there was a chance to find a cure, I would. If nothing else, I may speed up the discover that would save my own life.

------------------------
Don't argue with me.

Old Post 12-14-2000 03:52 AM
wonderaz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wonderaz Click here to Send wonderaz a Private Message Visit wonderaz's homepage! Find more posts by wonderaz Add wonderaz to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CAL
Damn Your Eyes!!

Cool

The placebo is needed to compare the receipients reactions. The mind is a powerful healer and often times people taking placebos show marked improvement, or adverse reactions. They need to calculate that into the equation or the functionality will be moot.

Basically we must recognize the value for the many, over the value for the few.

CAL

CAL

------------------------
"The desert is my church, and hunting is my god."

Old Post 12-14-2000 04:01 AM
CAL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CAL Click here to Send CAL a Private Message Find more posts by CAL Add CAL to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoFuckYourselves!
#1 Asylum Dumbfuck!

Life is so fucking unfair!!

Old Post 12-14-2000 05:09 AM
GoFuckYourselves! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GoFuckYourselves! Click here to Send GoFuckYourselves! a Private Message Find more posts by GoFuckYourselves! Add GoFuckYourselves! to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fiend
Medically crazy

quote:
Originally posted by wonderaz:
The needs of many outweigh the needs of a few.

Plus, if I was one of the few and was offered the chance to participate in a blind test when death was imminent and there was a chance to find a cure, I would. If nothing else, I may speed up the discover that would save my own life.

COMMIE!!!

hehe j/k
in a experimentation sense i somewhat agree as long as the clauses are signed

------------------------
ManHo Inc.®©

Old Post 12-14-2000 05:29 AM
Fiend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fiend Click here to Send Fiend a Private Message Find more posts by Fiend Add Fiend to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoFuckYourselves!
#1 Asylum Dumbfuck!

This forum is my placebo!

Old Post 12-14-2000 05:47 AM
GoFuckYourselves! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GoFuckYourselves! Click here to Send GoFuckYourselves! a Private Message Find more posts by GoFuckYourselves! Add GoFuckYourselves! to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote