The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > WIT - Whore Institute of Technology > Justifying Firefox
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
squee
the amen break

Justifying Firefox

I have a customer who is building a brand-new enterprise network, and some of their execs want to use Firefox in place of IE. Only problem is, the execs who actually make the decision are not particularly impressed with Firefox.

They asked me to write up a justification statement, based upon the usability and security of Firefox: something along the lines of "It has these 100 features that IE7 lacks."

When we had this discussion, I said to them, well, Firefox has this Live Bookmarks feature that makes it easy to keep track of the fifty or so daily-read websites I follow. Their response is "Why can't you just go to each site?" They are the kind of people who visit 3 sites per day--they wouldn't use most of the features, so I'm having a hard time making a compelling case for FF like the customer asked.

Any ideas?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-13-2008 12:35 AM
squee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for squee Click here to Send squee a Private Message Find more posts by squee Add squee to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skalie
Locksmith of Lurve

What the fuck is a .....

quote:

brand-new enterprise network

... and why should it matter what browser is usd to access it ?

When I was doing web development one of my bosses just couldn't understand why I made websites that worked in Firefox but broke when viewed in IE, when IE held 80 percent of the market. ( I'd forget to debug them sometimes for IE )

My answer was, if it works in Firefox it works everywhere, except for IE that is, web standards and all that.

He never got it.

Tell your "brand-new enterprise network" makers that if you embrace Firefox that it will eventually make it easier to adapt that network to the new generation of media players, or other such bullshit.

Old Post 01-13-2008 01:00 AM
skalie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skalie Click here to Send skalie a Private Message Find more posts by skalie Add skalie to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hawley Griffin
.308 winchester

firefox is the superior browser, however you are unable to explain why

just give it up and tell them to use IE

Old Post 01-13-2008 01:07 AM
Hawley Griffin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hawley Griffin Click here to Send Hawley Griffin a Private Message Find more posts by Hawley Griffin Add Hawley Griffin to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hawley Griffin
.308 winchester

you could explain about how FF is more secure, but you know it as well as i that no one in an executive position understands or gives a shit about security

Old Post 01-13-2008 01:13 AM
Hawley Griffin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hawley Griffin Click here to Send Hawley Griffin a Private Message Find more posts by Hawley Griffin Add Hawley Griffin to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SocialParasite
wallet.dat is where it at

Go find and install a Hello Kitty Firefox theme and then ask them if IE can do that.

Old Post 01-13-2008 01:26 AM
SocialParasite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SocialParasite Click here to Send SocialParasite a Private Message Find more posts by SocialParasite Add SocialParasite to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trenchant_Troll
ad hominid

I would like god to at some point justify Squee. Is that too much to ask?

Old Post 01-13-2008 06:26 AM
Trenchant_Troll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trenchant_Troll Click here to Send Trenchant_Troll a Private Message Find more posts by Trenchant_Troll Add Trenchant_Troll to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thimbles worth of opinion
Symetrically challenged

Because IE forces you to upgrade the operating systems on your IT infrastructure if you want to have the latest supported IE version, with all the latest features and security bug fixes.

The latest version of, say, Sea Monkey can run on anything, including windows 98. Hell, it will run on OS/2.
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/

Old Post 01-13-2008 02:34 PM
Thimbles worth of opinion is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thimbles worth of opinion Click here to Send Thimbles worth of opinion a Private Message Find more posts by Thimbles worth of opinion Add Thimbles worth of opinion to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hawley Griffin
.308 winchester

quote:
Originally posted by Thimbles worth of opinion
Because IE forces you to upgrade the operating systems on your IT infrastructure if you want to have the latest supported IE version, with all the latest features and security bug fixes.

latest features no one uses and security fixes that no one cares about or understands

try again

Old Post 01-13-2008 02:54 PM
Coincidence
Counterfeit

Here's a page that sounds very useful but turns out to be totally worthless. But I read it and now you must as well: http://www.bbspot.com/news/2005/01/...t_explorer.html

Old Post 01-13-2008 02:57 PM
Coincidence is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coincidence Click here to Send Coincidence a Private Message Visit Coincidence's homepage! Find more posts by Coincidence Add Coincidence to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dogcow
brucoš

i don't see the dilemma, they can use both as they like.

Old Post 01-13-2008 03:13 PM
dogcow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dogcow Click here to Send dogcow a Private Message Find more posts by dogcow Add dogcow to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

Multi-platform is perhaps most helpful to me, but I guess not to your clients.

In practice, they may be better off with IE, to be honest. As for TWOO's point about upgrades, presumably your clients are going to patch and upgrade their windows boxes regularly anyhow. Also, if you can't provide them with reasons that are compelling for their planned usage, I wouldn't push it religiously, because if anything goes wrong with FF in their system (there are some ASP.NET features that work with IE7 and not FF, I think, for example; are they planning any intranet stuff based on those?), you'll be the one associated with it and they won't really know why they're using it except they'll remember that you pushed them into it.

The big issue has to be the security one, but it seems to me that you can run a network with IE7 as the default browser and do it securely (not my area of expertise, but it appears that people I know manage that). Obviously, FF has better standards compliance as a rule, but lots of people write their sites, regardless, to work with IE (and as a result they may not work so well with FF) anyhow, because of the relative numbers of those browsers being used.

Old Post 01-13-2008 03:22 PM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
XiXo
Vote XiXo in 2020

Our hospital uses a huge network and intranet sysetm built around IE. It works just fine for them and all their censorship.

Old Post 01-14-2008 02:48 PM
XiXo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for XiXo Click here to Send XiXo a Private Message Find more posts by XiXo Add XiXo to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

Tell them all to fuck off and just walk away.

...here's what you do.

Now are they set on using firefox? Or are they looking for a reccomendation?

These guys are total idiots,no?

Make it a game.

Have 4 identical computers on the table....laptops.
Have IE in one,Safari,Opera,Firefox in the other ones.
Now have them find an identical website whatever that may be..the company website and see which computer pops up first.

Do this to a few web sites. Try to get something from China see who hits first.

Go to youtube and see which one loads the video faster.

Then these idiots can make their own goddamm minds.

Your welcome.

I want a Trump sex doll.
I would throw it in a Orangutan enclosure
And watch the orgy.

Last edited by Large Filipino on 02-18-2008 at 11:58 PM

Old Post 02-18-2008 11:53 PM
Large Filipino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Large Filipino Click here to Send Large Filipino a Private Message Visit Large Filipino's homepage! Find more posts by Large Filipino Add Large Filipino to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dacarlo
ex-member

This is the shiznit: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5579

Old Post 04-02-2008 12:07 AM
Dacarlo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dacarlo Find more posts by Dacarlo Add Dacarlo to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dacarlo
ex-member

http://noscript.net/
http://www.downloadhelper.net/
http://www.pdfdownload.org/
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/
http://downloadstatusbar.mozdev.org/
http://www.downthemall.net/
http://minimizetotray.mozdev.org/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1122

Old Post 04-02-2008 12:13 AM
Dacarlo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dacarlo Find more posts by Dacarlo Add Dacarlo to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skalie
Locksmith of Lurve

Dac turned into a spambot ?

Old Post 04-02-2008 08:30 AM
skalie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skalie Click here to Send skalie a Private Message Find more posts by skalie Add skalie to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dogcow
brucoš

adblock plus is broken with the newest nightly builds

Old Post 04-02-2008 09:47 AM
dogcow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dogcow Click here to Send dogcow a Private Message Find more posts by dogcow Add dogcow to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
macker
Holy Me-el

You might be able to fix it by checking for updates manually. I found it applied a "compatibility update" which got it work again, however that's on a nightly that's about a week old now.

I do like the new little update dialog that shows which extensions will be broken when you update.

Old Post 04-02-2008 10:47 AM
macker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for macker Click here to Send macker a Private Message Visit macker's homepage! Find more posts by macker Add macker to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dogcow
brucoš

yes, that little dialog is completely awesome. could you tell me which build you're using so i can revert to it?

Old Post 04-02-2008 03:44 PM
macker
Holy Me-el

I'll look when I get home, although another possible way around it is to go to about :config, right click and add a new boolean value called "extensions.checkCompatibility", without quotes, and set it to false. Restart FF/Minefield.

Seems to let ABP work fine, although if you've got any other extensions sitting around you might want to disable them first.

The trick works with todays nightly and ABP 0.7.5.3.

Old Post 04-02-2008 04:10 PM
macker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for macker Click here to Send macker a Private Message Visit macker's homepage! Find more posts by macker Add macker to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
macker
Holy Me-el

quote:
Originally posted by macker
I'll look when I get home

2008032405 according to the about screen.

Old Post 04-02-2008 08:18 PM
Dacarlo
ex-member

quote:
Originally posted by skalie
Dac turned into a spambot ?

Sorry. I was in a rush at the time and didnt explain :P

Those are pretty much all the addons I use and they're all imho pretty good reasons to have FF.

Anyone else care to point out awesome addons?

Old Post 04-03-2008 04:51 AM
skalie
Locksmith of Lurve

Don't know if you linked to it but the web development add-on is a must have, if you do, er, web development.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60

Old Post 04-03-2008 06:53 AM
dogcow
brucoš

thanks, macker, that worked.

Old Post 04-03-2008 08:16 AM
squee
the amen break

The addons are turning out to be a turnoff for the customer because of the rate at which they update.

Not that that's an issue. They have a good patch management solution in place, they can roll back changes if they don't like them, etc.

The problem is they have conflated this nervousness about FOSS, which basically comes from their bewilderment with the very idea that people would do this shit for free, into all sorts of "legitimate" objections.

My favorite is that "Well, if anyone can see the code, then anyone can make an exploit against it." "Ok, but that also means holes are patched quicker. Look at the vulnerability window." "Uh...well...but..."

So they have basically said something to the effect of "These add-ons update too rapidly, we can't keep up with the changes." Keep up with what? It makes no sense and this is why I don't think I can convince them to use anything FOSS.

Old Post 04-06-2008 08:48 PM
squee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for squee Click here to Send squee a Private Message Find more posts by squee Add squee to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote