The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > Sensory Overload > Asylum Book Club > This is not much of a book club
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Lantana
Adorable Pussycat

This is not much of a book club

My two cents fellas:

1. This is no way to run a book club.

2. I would suggest two things: a) get more organized with a book of the month program (or short story of the week program) where members read the assigned book/story for further discussion; and b) talk about individual authors or books per thread. The above don't have to be forum-run. Individuals can start their own book of the month. So, for example, I could start a thread on the book "Sense and Sensibility" and ask others to join me.

3. No one wants a book club forum that veers off topic, like a lot of the threads on this forum. I came here for literature discussions and dammit, that's ALL I want!

I'm sorry for being so blunt given my newbie status. Just my observations.

Thanks, mate!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-17-2008 11:41 PM
Lantana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lantana Click here to Send Lantana a Private Message Find more posts by Lantana Add Lantana to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SocialParasite
wallet.dat is where it at

Thanks for your cuntribution!

Old Post 06-17-2008 11:43 PM
SocialParasite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SocialParasite Click here to Send SocialParasite a Private Message Find more posts by SocialParasite Add SocialParasite to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lantana
Adorable Pussycat

You're welcum.

Old Post 06-17-2008 11:44 PM
Lantana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lantana Click here to Send Lantana a Private Message Find more posts by Lantana Add Lantana to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
<clever name>
Fat kid

Have you maybe tried to find a literature forum?
You might have better luck.

Old Post 06-17-2008 11:48 PM
<clever name> is offline Click Here to See the Profile for <clever name> Click here to Send <clever name> a Private Message Find more posts by <clever name> Add <clever name> to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lantana
Adorable Pussycat

I belong to two different lit forums. Actually, I'm a regular member of a half dozen forums, mostly general off-topic stuff and one art forum. I'm getting bored with a couple of them and went hunting for another one and landed here via a forum directory. It seemed interesting...at first. Now, I'm not too sure. This forum is like a whole bunch of other forums populated by teeny-boppers or 20-somethings who can't utter a paragraph without some smack words/phrases thrown in. I'm kinda sick of them, actually.

Old Post 06-18-2008 12:06 AM
SocialParasite
wallet.dat is where it at

quote:
Originally posted by Lantana
I'm a snooty cunt whose ideal night is spent feeding my three hundred cats.

Old Post 06-18-2008 12:16 AM
SocialParasite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SocialParasite Click here to Send SocialParasite a Private Message Find more posts by SocialParasite Add SocialParasite to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mmmtravis
stealthy ninja

I like to think we're at least 10-15% more witty than most other "forums populated by teeny-boppers or 20-somethings who can't utter a paragraph without some smack words/phrases thrown in."

I mean, not me personally or anything, just by and large.

Old Post 06-18-2008 12:43 AM
mmmtravis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mmmtravis Click here to Send mmmtravis a Private Message Visit mmmtravis's homepage! Find more posts by mmmtravis Add mmmtravis to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fiend
Medically crazy

mmmtravis you won't give that shithole Vegas his due. yet Lantana seems to be an expectional cunt for all her forums she's part of.
how many times can we say how wrong she is?

"We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it." -Douglas Adams

Old Post 06-18-2008 05:04 AM
Fiend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fiend Click here to Send Fiend a Private Message Find more posts by Fiend Add Fiend to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ignatz mouse
gone with the wind

1) Nobody wants a Welcome-thread-loving idiot-noob telling them how to run their forum.

2) If you want to start a discussion about a book, read a book and start a thread.

Old Post 06-18-2008 06:47 AM
ignatz mouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ignatz mouse Click here to Send ignatz mouse a Private Message Find more posts by ignatz mouse Add ignatz mouse to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coincidence
Counterfeit

She's right though. Not that it matters on this forum. Errr biatch.

Old Post 06-18-2008 01:09 PM
Coincidence is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coincidence Click here to Send Coincidence a Private Message Visit Coincidence's homepage! Find more posts by Coincidence Add Coincidence to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goedile
Gyromancer

You'd find a website like Goodreads far more useful than forum hopping and hoping for the gem of sterile, mature conduct.

Old Post 07-23-2008 11:50 PM
Goedile is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goedile Click here to Send Goedile a Private Message Find more posts by Goedile Add Goedile to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trenchant_Troll
ad hominid

I have always thought of this as more of a "book truncheon" actually.

Old Post 07-23-2008 11:59 PM
Trenchant_Troll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trenchant_Troll Click here to Send Trenchant_Troll a Private Message Find more posts by Trenchant_Troll Add Trenchant_Troll to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mordecai

I think this thing was Ed G under a different cognomen.

-m

Old Post 07-24-2008 12:29 AM
Mordecai is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mordecai Click here to Send Mordecai a Private Message Find more posts by Mordecai Add Mordecai to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gunstar_Hobo
batshit over the line

quote:
Originally posted by Coincidence
She's right though. Not that it matters on this forum. Errr biatch.

Haha never noticed before but it actually says

Asylum Book Club
Scheduled group reads and general book discussion. [Bookclub]

I'd be down with something like that. As long as SSimon can't suggest any of those crazy sci-fi/fantasy books he finds at flea markets.

Coin - Make the first thread. Something you haven't read before maybe? I trust your judgement.

Old Post 09-05-2008 05:11 AM
Gunstar_Hobo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gunstar_Hobo Click here to Send Gunstar_Hobo a Private Message Find more posts by Gunstar_Hobo Add Gunstar_Hobo to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SimpleSimon
Dead Horse Rider

Look to Smug for the fantasy reccomendations. Science fiction I do enjoy.

I'll reccomend two books, though:

A Town Like Alice, by Nevil Shute. A true classic in its own way, it is probably one of the best novels written in the last century.

The Hot Zone , by Richard Preston. Fascinating and horrifying by turns, it just might make you think.

Old Post 09-05-2008 05:32 AM
SimpleSimon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SimpleSimon Click here to Send SimpleSimon a Private Message Find more posts by SimpleSimon Add SimpleSimon to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fiend
Medically crazy

simon before you die, listen to ssimon about well about anything.

"We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it." -Douglas Adams

Old Post 09-08-2008 06:42 AM
Fiend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fiend Click here to Send Fiend a Private Message Find more posts by Fiend Add Fiend to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fiend
Medically crazy

the hot zone isn't fantasy sadly. the cobra event is his fantasy workings

Old Post 09-08-2008 06:43 AM
Fiend
Medically crazy

The Hot Zone was true.

Old Post 09-08-2008 06:45 AM
Fiend
Medically crazy

there are three points of ebola

Old Post 09-08-2008 06:49 AM
Mordecai

quote:
Originally posted by Gunstar_Hobo
Haha never noticed before but it actually says

Asylum Book Club
Scheduled group reads and general book discussion. [Bookclub]

I'd be down with something like that.

That was the original idea, before anyone realized that organizing this group into doing anything of the sort was far less useful and likely than herding cats. After that, it just became the book forum.

I think it's generally better that way, and fuck the random cunt who wandered in and made a sole contribution of saying 'this sucks', because that's on the level with canadian criticism of america(stupid and hypocritical).

-m

Old Post 09-08-2008 08:03 AM
Mordecai is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mordecai Click here to Send Mordecai a Private Message Find more posts by Mordecai Add Mordecai to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vegas
15 = micropenis

quote:
Originally posted by Mordecai
That was the original idea, before anyone realized that organizing this group into doing anything of the sort was far less useful and likely than herding cats. After that, it just became the book forum.

I think it's generally better that way, and fuck the random cunt who wandered in and made a sole contribution of saying 'this sucks', because that's on the level with canadian criticism of america(stupid and hypocritical).

-m

We could try and start a real book club. Everyone gets to pick a book for all of us to read. I promise not to pick a business book if Crika promises not to pick Axler and Fiend promises to not post unless sober.

Your whole "I dress like an office drone and act respectable and then sit on forum where we discuss urethra fucking and public torture" bit still creeps me out. I bet it would creep out your co-workers even more.

-m

Old Post 09-08-2008 12:26 PM
Vegas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas Click here to Send Vegas a Private Message Find more posts by Vegas Add Vegas to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coincidence
Counterfeit

The Helmet of Horror by Victor Pelevin is relevant and a fast read.

Old Post 09-08-2008 02:36 PM
Coincidence is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coincidence Click here to Send Coincidence a Private Message Visit Coincidence's homepage! Find more posts by Coincidence Add Coincidence to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mordecai

quote:
Originally posted by Vegas
We could try and start a real book club. Everyone gets to pick a book for all of us to read. I promise not to pick a business book if Crika promises not to pick Axler and Fiend promises to not post unless sober.

We did that, when the forum first opened, we even ordered the books(Brave New World) through an amazon partner thingy so the board would get some kickbacks and it died a terrible apathetic death on the first attempt, of which I will own up to my own part, as I don't think I contributed a lot. I think there was an attempt at a second book which got as far as a half dozen posts.

I think just being a forum dedicated to our reading and whatnot is far better suited to the asylum.

That said, if you want to have a go at it, post a thread, a poll, whatever and I'll sticky it for you(haha, like that is necessary) but I suggest you dig up the original attempt and try to examine why it failed first.

-m

Old Post 09-08-2008 05:00 PM
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

I read Brave New World, dammit.

Old Post 09-08-2008 05:32 PM
Mugtoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mugtoe Click here to Send Mugtoe a Private Message Find more posts by Mugtoe Add Mugtoe to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mordecai

As did I, I just failed to offer any commentary.

Structure, we're not so good at it.

-m

Old Post 09-08-2008 05:43 PM