The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > I love Texas!
Do you think that liscenced teachers/staff should carry handguns to school?
Yes. A psychotic on a shooting spree could be dealt with before children are hurt or killed.
Yes, but only after strict training, licensure, and mental evaluation.
No. That's what the police are for.
No. I believe that inanimate objects possess sentience and a loaded gun is just waiting for a person to walk within range of it's sadistic barrel.
FUCK YOU YOU FUCK FACED FUCKER FUCK!
View Results [Edit Poll (moderators only)]
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Straightman
Preaching The Funk

I love Texas!

HARROLD, Texas — A tiny Texas school district may be the first in the nation to allow teachers and staff to pack guns for protection when classes begin later this month, a newspaper reported.

Trustees at the Harrold Independent School District approved a district policy change last October so employees can carry concealed firearms to deter and protect against school shootings, provided the gun-toting teachers follow certain requirements.

In order for teachers and staff to carry a pistol, they must have a Texas license to carry a concealed handgun; must be authorized to carry by the district; must receive training in crisis management and hostile situations and have to use ammunition that is designed to minimize the risk of ricochet in school halls.

Superintendent David Thweatt said the small community is a 30-minute drive from the sheriff's office, leaving students and teachers without protection. He said the district's lone campus sits 500 feet from heavily trafficked U.S. 287, which could make it a target.

"When the federal government started making schools gun-free zones, that's when all of these shootings started. Why would you put it out there that a group of people can't defend themselves? That's like saying 'sic 'em' to a dog," Thweatt said in Friday's online edition of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Thweatt said officials researched the policy and considered other options for about a year before approving the policy change. He said the district also has various other security measures in place to prevent a school shooting.

"The naysayers think (a shooting) won't happen here. If something were to happen here, I'd much rather be calling a parent to tell them that their child is OK because we were able to protect them," Thweatt said.

Texas law outlaws firearms on school campuses "unless pursuant to the written regulations or written authorization of the institution."

It was unclear how many of the 50 or so teachers and staff members will be armed this fall because Thweatt did not disclose that information, to keep it from students or potential attackers. Wilbarger County Sheriff Larry Lee was out of the office Thursday and did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment, the newspaper said.

Barbara Williams, a spokeswoman for the Texas Association of School Boards, said her organization did not know of another district with such a policy. Ken Trump, a Cleveland-based school security expert who advises districts nationwide, including in Texas, said Harrold is the first district with such a policy.

The 110-student district is 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth on the eastern end of Wilbarger County, near the Oklahoma border.

On the Web:

Harrold Independent School District, http://harroldisd.net/

Associated Press
August 15th. 2008

God Bless you, Lone Star State!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-18-2008 09:47 PM
Straightman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Straightman Click here to Send Straightman a Private Message Find more posts by Straightman Add Straightman to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pianomahnn
Sw0ul3!!!!!11

Are you allowed to use the FUCK YOU YOU FUCK FACED FUCKER FUCK! option?

Old Post 08-18-2008 10:39 PM
Pianomahnn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pianomahnn Click here to Send Pianomahnn a Private Message Visit Pianomahnn's homepage! Find more posts by Pianomahnn Add Pianomahnn to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

Harrold, Texas is sort of in the middle of nowhere. Half the kids probably have gunracks in their trucks as it is. I doubt if many teachers are going to feel compelled to carry anyway, so this is sort of a non-event.

Old Post 08-18-2008 10:58 PM
Mugtoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mugtoe Click here to Send Mugtoe a Private Message Find more posts by Mugtoe Add Mugtoe to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SimpleSimon
Dead Horse Rider

Makes sense to me. Next - school pistol range/firearms safety classes, and permitted carry for students who qualify. Seriously.

Old Post 08-18-2008 11:14 PM
SimpleSimon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SimpleSimon Click here to Send SimpleSimon a Private Message Find more posts by SimpleSimon Add SimpleSimon to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Straightman
Preaching The Funk

quote:
Originally posted by Pianomahnn
Are you allowed to use the FUCK YOU YOU FUCK FACED FUCKER FUCK! option?

I didn't want to exclude LF from the vote.

Old Post 08-18-2008 11:53 PM
Straightman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Straightman Click here to Send Straightman a Private Message Find more posts by Straightman Add Straightman to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
theMAC
lone gunman for the govt

#1 Loving TX because of gun laws means you are living a lie somewhere in the north. We need you here in TX, actively supporting the resistance to overthrow the Rick Perry regime.

#2 I have not left the house without a gun and a bottle of whiskey since 1988 when I turned 15 and got my drivers permit (in TX).

#3 If the cops shouldn't be out-gunned then neither should the teachers (sadly, I wish that was some type of academic metaphor).

#4 I am OK with this new rule as long as they install one of these in every room.

#5 Upon review I am allowed to shoot 4 deer in my county this season (1 spike buck, one buck with a 13"+ inside spread, 1 doe in archery season, and 1 doe during doe weekend which is right after thanksgiving) but I can shoot as many intruders as i want thanks the TX's newly reformed Castle Law!
(assuming I can afford the civil lawsuits)

Besides we only keep guns here to prevent Democratic presidents from motorcading through our fair cities in showy convertibles.

Old Post 08-19-2008 02:45 AM
theMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for theMAC Click here to Send theMAC a Private Message Find more posts by theMAC Add theMAC to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pinecrika
Muffer's He-beast

quote:
Originally posted by SimpleSimon
Makes sense to me. Next - school pistol range/firearms safety classes, and permitted carry for students who qualify. Seriously.

They still have one at my old high school.

Old Post 08-19-2008 03:01 AM
Pinecrika is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pinecrika Click here to Send Pinecrika a Private Message Find more posts by Pinecrika Add Pinecrika to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

This teacher teaches Social Studies! I bet Junior will learn a lot from him. Look at how kind he looks.
I bet that he is dedicated.

Attachment: dark_knight_18.jpg
This has been downloaded 81 time(s).

I want a Trump sex doll.
I would throw it in a Orangutan enclosure
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 08-19-2008 03:06 AM
Large Filipino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Large Filipino Click here to Send Large Filipino a Private Message Visit Large Filipino's homepage! Find more posts by Large Filipino Add Large Filipino to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Straightman
Preaching The Funk

Yeah, I pretty much love the South. Texas and Tennessee both have Castle laws, and our Castle law extends to our vehicles. (Pretty sure it would in TX as well, but I'm not sure so I ain't typing it.) I'm waiting for TN to take a look at some of these permit restrictions. We have recently repealed the law that says that you may not carry in any place where alcohol is sold, such as C-stores, liqour stores, etc. We are still unable to carry in any establishment that serves alcohol. I would like to see a law passed that allows college students over the age of 21 (legal carry age in TN) to be able to carry on campus.

Old Post 08-19-2008 03:16 AM
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

MN actually has a freer carry law than Texas, or it did three years ago when I was living there, but it drove the folks in the Twin Cities nuts.

And in Texas you can shoot a guy for breaking into your car. A guy did it a few years back. Even if the law forbade it, you'd be hard pressed to find a grand jury in this state that wouldn't no-bill you for it.

Old Post 08-19-2008 03:30 AM
Mugtoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mugtoe Click here to Send Mugtoe a Private Message Find more posts by Mugtoe Add Mugtoe to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SimpleSimon
Dead Horse Rider

Hell, yes, you can shoot someone breaking into your car in Texas. Mid-nineties a guy in Texas fell behind on his car payments, and was parking the car behind the house in a gated yard to prevent a repo man from getting to it. One late evening he came home and parked it out front, went inside. A local wrecker driver/repo guy saw his chance, quietly backed in and slid his hoist bar under the axle, but had to rev his engine to pick it up. Guy looks out, sees it happening, runs for his rifle, then out into the street after the pulling away wrecker with car, and fired three times. Third shot went through the back of the wrecker cab and into the drivers skull, killing him.

Even though the grand jury indicted him for murder, a jury, fully aware that he knew the vehicle was on repo lists, found him not guilty. A year later, a second jury in the civil trial the drivers widow brought for wrongful death found for the defendant.

Old Post 08-19-2008 03:54 AM
SimpleSimon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SimpleSimon Click here to Send SimpleSimon a Private Message Find more posts by SimpleSimon Add SimpleSimon to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wonderaz
Sarky Bastard

quote:
Originally posted by theMAC

Besides we only keep guns here to prevent Democratic presidents from motorcading through our fair cities in showy convertibles.

You are so beautiful.

Old Post 08-19-2008 05:46 AM
wonderaz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wonderaz Click here to Send wonderaz a Private Message Visit wonderaz's homepage! Find more posts by wonderaz Add wonderaz to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pinecrika
Muffer's He-beast

"Yes, but only after strict training, licensure, and mental evaluation........"

If that was the case, I couldn't own guns...... Good to be grandfathered in.

Old Post 08-19-2008 05:54 AM
Pinecrika is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pinecrika Click here to Send Pinecrika a Private Message Find more posts by Pinecrika Add Pinecrika to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coincidence
Counterfeit

Even I can't see a problem with this. You have to keep those crazy american younglings in control one way or another.

Old Post 08-19-2008 10:56 AM
Coincidence is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coincidence Click here to Send Coincidence a Private Message Visit Coincidence's homepage! Find more posts by Coincidence Add Coincidence to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dogcow
brucoš

i don't know about that. if your teachers have to be armed in class, something has gone terribly wrong in your town.

Old Post 08-19-2008 12:37 PM
dogcow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dogcow Click here to Send dogcow a Private Message Find more posts by dogcow Add dogcow to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coincidence
Counterfeit

We are talking remote Texas after all. A reguar school day makes Deliverance look like Disney World.

Old Post 08-19-2008 01:21 PM
Coincidence is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coincidence Click here to Send Coincidence a Private Message Visit Coincidence's homepage! Find more posts by Coincidence Add Coincidence to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SocialParasite
wallet.dat is where it at

Guns: The solution to all of mankind's problems!*

*kill yourself

Old Post 08-19-2008 04:39 PM
SocialParasite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SocialParasite Click here to Send SocialParasite a Private Message Find more posts by SocialParasite Add SocialParasite to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

quote:
Originally posted by Coincidence
We are talking remote Texas after all. A reguar school day makes Deliverance look like Disney World.

I'm assuming you've never been to any small towns in Texas. My father was born in one and grew up in many of them. It's nothing like Deliverance. Your statement is ignorant.

Old Post 08-19-2008 05:04 PM
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

quote:
Originally posted by Mugtoe
It's nothing like Deliverance.

Many of those towns have few trees, much less forests, for example.

Old Post 08-19-2008 05:30 PM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SimpleSimon
Dead Horse Rider

No mountains either. You are much more likely to find mountains, forests, white-water rivers, and gun toting rednecks of a homosexual bent in upstate New York.

Old Post 08-19-2008 06:16 PM
J E B Stuart
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Smug Git
Many of those towns have few trees, much less forests, for example.

The quantity of trees and existence of forests depends upon what part of the state you're in. Even in the dryer parts, such as the panhandle, it is common for the towns to have many trees; trees are especially cherished there. Additionally, there are vast areas of the state, such as the Piney Woods region, that are quite densely wooded and forested.

Amen.

" Future years will never know the seething hell and the black infernal background of countless minor scenes and interiors, (not the official surface courteousness of the Generals, not the few great battles) of the Secession war; and it is best they should not�the real war will never get in the books." ~ Walt Whitman

Old Post 08-19-2008 06:31 PM
J E B Stuart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J E B Stuart Click here to Send J E B Stuart a Private Message Visit J E B Stuart's homepage! Find more posts by J E B Stuart Add J E B Stuart to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

Big Thicket

Cross Timbers

The Tallgrass Savanna region

Vegetational regions of Texas

Old Post 08-19-2008 07:13 PM
SimpleSimon
Dead Horse Rider

The eastern 40% or so of Texas, from a line roughly south-southwest through Ft Worth, is mostly forest. What open areas there are, are generally the product of man, or fire. There are no mountains in that region, and what white-water exists is pretty damned minor.

Old Post 08-19-2008 07:46 PM
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

west of that line was the habitat or the dreaded, murderous Comanche

Old Post 08-19-2008 08:01 PM
creepy uncle
Anal oops

quote:
Originally posted by SimpleSimon
No mountains either. You are much more likely to find mountains, forests, white-water rivers, and gun toting rednecks of a homosexual bent in upstate New Joisey.

fixed!

Old Post 08-19-2008 10:26 PM
creepy uncle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for creepy uncle Click here to Send creepy uncle a Private Message Find more posts by creepy uncle Add creepy uncle to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote