The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > Sensory Overload > Asylum Book Club > E Book Readers
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

E Book Readers

Hey guys if someone has this please let me know what's up.
Like the ones that has built in internet with no service charges do you have to buy their books?
And like can you put in an 8 GB card and expect 8GB of storage?
I have like access to thousands of books so what formats work?
And what's the best bang for the buck?
My daughter is a book nut and an Ebook reader is perfect for her limited space on her ship.
The internet built in to me is actually a negative though because it may not transmit well where she may be anyway so just a simple reader would be ace.

http://www.google.com/products?q=e+...ader&hl=en&aq=f

I'm kinda digging this even though I would never buy any books but they do offer thousands of free titles.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/...&iq_id=13310512

I want a Trump sex doll.
I would throw it in a Orangutan enclosure
And watch the orgy.

Last edited by Large Filipino on 06-22-2010 at 01:08 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-22-2010 01:02 PM
Large Filipino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Large Filipino Click here to Send Large Filipino a Private Message Visit Large Filipino's homepage! Find more posts by Large Filipino Add Large Filipino to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SimpleSimon
Dead Horse Rider

I've looked at the things. For me they are useless, as the largest font sizes they'll provide are too small to read without getting a serious headache quite quickly. The B&N reader is really pretty nice, and for that market very fairly priced - also, I believe B&N gives a pretty decent active duty military discount.

Tell me more about these "thousands of books" you have access to.

Old Post 06-22-2010 09:58 PM
SimpleSimon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SimpleSimon Click here to Send SimpleSimon a Private Message Find more posts by SimpleSimon Add SimpleSimon to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aydin
El Fugaz

I think I read something about the Kindle can delete books remotely when your time is up. I'm not sure though.

Old Post 06-22-2010 11:16 PM
Aydin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Aydin Click here to Send Aydin a Private Message Find more posts by Aydin Add Aydin to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

quote:
Originally posted by SimpleSimon

Tell me more about these "thousands of books" you have access to.

The NOOK site says a lot of their books are free.
And then there is a secret dark side of the internets...

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 06-23-2010 12:25 AM
Large Filipino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Large Filipino Click here to Send Large Filipino a Private Message Visit Large Filipino's homepage! Find more posts by Large Filipino Add Large Filipino to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aydin
El Fugaz

Any book out of copyright (over 80 years old) is theoretically free.

Old Post 06-23-2010 12:29 AM
Aydin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Aydin Click here to Send Aydin a Private Message Find more posts by Aydin Add Aydin to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mordecai

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

That should let you know anything you need to know.

-m

Old Post 06-23-2010 08:19 AM
Mordecai is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mordecai Click here to Send Mordecai a Private Message Find more posts by Mordecai Add Mordecai to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SocialParasite
wallet.dat is where it at

quote:
Originally posted by Aydin
Any book out of copyright (over 80 years old) is theoretically free.

yeah about that

and then there's this

Old Post 06-23-2010 08:46 AM
SocialParasite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SocialParasite Click here to Send SocialParasite a Private Message Find more posts by SocialParasite Add SocialParasite to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

I'm finding out that the Nook will take.pdf files from only thru transfer from my computer to its built in memory. It won't take from an SD card for some reason. This won't work for me because my daughter may not be able to access any new books wherever she will be unless I send her a SD card full of .PDF files of books.
I'm reading all the specs and no one seems to want to give up this trivial piece of information. I only got this info from the Nook from an actual customer reviewing their purchase.
I know some of you fools got one of these readers. If you can read .PDF files off your SD card please tell me what you bought.

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 07-15-2010 01:39 AM
Tefl
Reality Theorist

quote:
Originally posted by Large Filipino
If you can read .PDF files off your SD card please tell me what you bought.

a PSP phat running Bookr on custom firmware.

Old Post 07-15-2010 02:00 AM
Tefl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tefl Click here to Send Tefl a Private Message Find more posts by Tefl Add Tefl to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

Oh man way way too small.
Ah hell. The Nook has 2 GB of internal memory. That's good for 1,500 books.
She'll be home in late August/Early September.
We'll just load it up when she's here.
I still like the Nook because it seems to have bigger print when you need it.
But you need a light source when night reading.
Shit.

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 07-15-2010 03:48 AM
Tefl
Reality Theorist

There's several reasons I use a PSP. One, I got it cheap. Like scary, bought it from a crackhead, cheap. (Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.) Then there is the fact it's backlit, can play mp3's at the same time your reading, can play all sorts of old school console games, movies, and even surf the web using opera mini. When I read on it the Bookr program even lets me change the font and size to practically anything I need. I can even set it as an alarm clock to wake me up in the morning. With the right cards and a doubler you can even expand the memory up to 16gigs the last time I looked. But 90% or more of the functionality of the device is due to custom firmware and being able to run hacks. If it wasn't for the efforts of some anonymous hackers I'd never even bother with it really. In it's stock, new out of the box form, it's pretty useless unless your 12.

With the current price of book readers and how limited they are I'd buy an older laptop myself. Even a $50 laptop running win95 seems to be more functional for reading than most book readers out there.

Old Post 07-15-2010 05:26 AM
Tefl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tefl Click here to Send Tefl a Private Message Find more posts by Tefl Add Tefl to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mordecai

The problem with laptops over an e-reader is that they are bulky and heavy in comparison and of course if you suffer eyestrain from reading off LCD screens, it's a no go(I am happy to report I do not have this problem). Even my little netbook is really too big for easy reading in bed.

I would like to see an e-reader with a light built in, but I'm sure you could add a light fairly easily.

For a cheap reader(assuming lcds don't bother your eyes) I'd get a palm Zire, I recall seeing them at Target for like $80 or something. Small, light, decent battery life, backlit.

-m

Old Post 07-15-2010 11:34 AM
Mordecai is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mordecai Click here to Send Mordecai a Private Message Find more posts by Mordecai Add Mordecai to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aydin
El Fugaz

I read from a netbook in bed with no problem.

Old Post 07-15-2010 02:59 PM
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

I got it all figured out. I'm going with the Nook because if my daughter would run into a wifi hot spot she can order books or get free ones. Then if I send her an SD card full of books she can just load it up on her netbook. (Yes,we bought her a netbook about a year ago) Then she can load it up to her Nook.
Maybe soon B&N would come up with a fix to this problem. Currently when loading a .psd file it does not give you the option to choose the location. If it's not on the internal it can't read it.
Then aparantly you can load up other files in an sd card that the Nook can read.
Go figure.
Yea she can read from her netbook but if there's no plug around she has three hours at best.
Apparently the battery life in these readers can stretch 72 hours or three days at least that's what the Nook is saying.

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 07-15-2010 07:30 PM
Mordecai

quote:
Originally posted by Aydin
I read from a netbook in bed with no problem.

I switch positions too much, which means either rotating the screen, or flipping the netbook around. I also don't much care for how warm it seems to run while it's sitting on the bed, but that just might be the model I have.

-m

Old Post 07-16-2010 09:19 AM
Mordecai

quote:
Originally posted by Large Filipino
I got it all figured out. I'm going with the Nook because if my daughter would run into a wifi hot spot she can order books or get free ones. Then if I send her an SD card full of books she can just load it up on her netbook. (Yes,we bought her a netbook about a year ago) Then she can load it up to her Nook.
Maybe soon B&N would come up with a fix to this problem. Currently when loading a .psd file it does not give you the option to choose the location. If it's not on the internal it can't read it.
Then aparantly you can load up other files in an sd card that the Nook can read.
Go figure.
Yea she can read from her netbook but if there's no plug around she has three hours at best.
Apparently the battery life in these readers can stretch 72 hours or three days at least that's what the Nook is saying.

The readers generally have a long battery life because of two things, no backlight and because the text is physical media it requires no additional power to keep the text on the screen. Slow readers will likely get more life out of them, whereas faster readers will drain the battery faster.

-m

Old Post 07-16-2010 09:22 AM
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

And THAT is why these things rule!
My girl tells me more than half of her limited storage on her ship is just books.
This is gonna help her out tremendously.
Wifey wants one too now.
I don't read enough books to benefit me though.

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 07-16-2010 03:04 PM
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

Nooks are so fucking epic.
Because the EPUB files are sendable thru e mail.
And it reads .pdf files too.
And reading has become a joy for me again.
Like if I have a book and a friend wants to read it too
I can just e mail the file.
Then you connect your Nook to your computer.
Then just drag the book to the My Documents folder.
That's it.
I think I have enough books to last a month.

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 01-01-2012 07:13 PM
Brett
Say no to edit rape

I got a kindle last month. It's pretty nice.

Old Post 01-01-2012 07:16 PM
Brett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brett Click here to Send Brett a Private Message Find more posts by Brett Add Brett to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

It reads .pdf files too no?

I have a mac program called Calibre that can convert any file to EPUB or to
MOBI files for kindle.
It's awesome.

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 01-01-2012 07:20 PM
Brett
Say no to edit rape

yes.

I have the Calibre program as well.

Old Post 01-01-2012 07:25 PM
Brett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brett Click here to Send Brett a Private Message Find more posts by Brett Add Brett to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Large Filipino
Fuck me hard in my arse.

Nothing can stop us now Brett.

I want a Trump sex doll.
And watch the orgy.

Old Post 01-01-2012 07:38 PM
Brett
Say no to edit rape

Old Post 01-01-2012 07:53 PM
ignatz mouse
gone with the wind

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Ha.

Old Post 01-01-2012 08:06 PM
ignatz mouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ignatz mouse Click here to Send ignatz mouse a Private Message Find more posts by ignatz mouse Add ignatz mouse to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DRZ
SS: GIFs ARE autoplays!

My Kindle reads PDFs like a bag of shit.

Old Post 01-01-2012 08:11 PM
DRZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DRZ Click here to Send DRZ a Private Message Find more posts by DRZ Add DRZ to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote