The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > Polěticŕs der Mondé > China's economy
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
lucidnightmare
Pro Snowflake

China's economy

quote:
Short term, China will keep growing rapidly, adding to demand and boosting the global economy. Long term, the picture's not so pretty.

China's economy is slowing, but only a little. The July industrial production numbers announced by the country's National Bureau of Statistics on Aug. 11 were weaker than expected. That raised fears that one of the engines of global growth was about to seize up. In fact, the slight slowdown is intentional, the result of moves by Beijing to prevent overheating. China can and will change course if the need arises. We still expect it to grow about 10% this year, a figure that will make most of the world envious.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-hom...as-growth-model

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-24-2010 02:57 AM
lucidnightmare is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lucidnightmare Click here to Send lucidnightmare a Private Message Find more posts by lucidnightmare Add lucidnightmare to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aydin
El Fugaz

quote:
China traffic jam stretches 'nine days, 100km'

A massive traffic jam in China has slowed vehicles to a crawl for nine days near Beijing, local media say.

Vehicles, mostly lorries bound for Beijing, are in a queue for about 100km (62 miles) because of heavy traffic, road works and breakdowns.

The drivers have complained that locals were over-charging them for food and drink while they were stuck.

The situation has now "basically returned to normal," state television said on Monday.

There has been a boom in road building in China in recent years but vehicle use has soared at the same time.

The stalled traffic stretched between Jining in Inner Mongolia and Huai'an in Hebei province, north-west of Beijing, said the Global Times.

The road works which were obstructing traffic are necessary to repair damage caused by an increase in cargo lorries using the highway, the state-run newspaper said.

They are not expected to be finished until mid-September.

The motorway, part of the Beijing-Tibet expressway, is heavily used by lorries carrying coal from Inner Mongolia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11062708

Old Post 08-24-2010 03:09 AM
Aydin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Aydin Click here to Send Aydin a Private Message Find more posts by Aydin Add Aydin to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FuhQall
High Flyer

You can do this roundtrip and still make it half way back.

Driving directions to Snake Rd
Suggested routes
Alaska Hwy
6,849 km 3 days 6 hours

Alaska Hwy and I-75 S
6,830 km 3 days 6 hours

This route has tolls.
Klondike Hwy/YT-2 S
1. Head south on Klondike Hwy/YT-2 S 10.3 km
2. Turn left at Alaska Hwy/Klondike Hwy/YT-1 E/YT-2 S (signs for Yukon Territory 1 E/Yukon Territory 2/City Centre/Skagway)
Continue to follow Alaska Hwy
Entering British Columbia 1,417 km
3. Slight left at Alaska Ave/Dawson Creek-Tupper Hwy/BC-2 S 41 m
4. At the roundabout, continue straight onto 8th St/Dawson Creek-Tupper Hwy/BC-2 S
Continue to follow Dawson Creek-Tupper Hwy/BC-2 S
Entering Alberta 39.5 km
5. Continue onto AB-43 E 89.3 km
6. Turn left at 108 St/AB-43 E
Continue to follow AB-43 E 3.0 km
7. Turn left at 100 St/AB-43 N (signs for Edmonton)
Continue to follow AB-43 N 4.2 km
8. Merge onto AB-43 E via the ramp to Edmonton 400 km
9. Take the Trans Canada Highway/AB-16 E ramp to Edmonton 850 m
10. Merge onto Trans-Canada Hwy/Yellowhead Hwy E/AB-16 E
Entering Saskatchewan 294 km
11. Continue onto 44 St/Trans-Canada Hwy/Yellowhead Hwy E/SK-16 E
Continue to follow Trans-Canada Hwy/Yellowhead Hwy E/SK-16 E 135 km
12. Take the ramp onto Trans-Canada Hwy/Yellowhead Hwy E/SK-16 E/SK-16B E/SK-4 N/SK-40 E 1.4 km
13. Slight right at Trans-Canada Hwy/Yellowhead Hwy E/SK-16 E/SK-40 E (signs for Trans Canada Highway/Saskatoon/Prince Albert)
Continue to follow Trans-Canada Hwy/Yellowhead Hwy E/SK-16 E 134 km
14. Take the SK-16 E/Trans Canada Highway/Circle Drive ramp to SK-7 W/SK-14 W 450 m
15. Turn left at Circle Dr E/Trans-Canada Hwy/Yellowhead Hwy E/SK-16 E 11.2 km
16. Continue onto Louis Riel Trail/SK-11 S 161 km
17. Turn right at SK-2 S (signs for Moose Jaw) 51.4 km
18. Take the Trans Canada Highway/SK-1 E ramp to Regina 290 m
19. Merge onto Trans-Canada Hwy/SK-1 E 9.9 km
20. Merge onto SK-39 S via the ramp to Weyburn 68.6 km
21. Turn right at SK-39 S/SK-6 S (signs for Weyburn)
Continue to follow SK-39 S
Entering United States (North Dakota) 195 km
22. Continue onto US-52 E/Railway Ave
Continue to follow US-52 E 12.0 km
23. Turn left at N Dakota 5 E/US-52 E/102nd St NW
Continue to follow US-52 E 144 km
24. Take the US-52 BUS/US-52 E ramp to Minot/Jamestown 550 m
25. Turn right at US-52 E 161 km
26. Turn left at N Dakota 200 E/US-52 E/3rd St NE 38.5 km
27. Turn right at US-281 S/US-52 E/4th Ave N/67th Ave NE
Continue to follow US-281 S/US-52 E 69.1 km
28. Turn right at 1st Ave N 1.5 km
29. Turn right at I-94 BUS W/US-281 S/US-52 E
Continue to follow US-281 S/US-52 E 2.0 km
30. Turn left to merge onto I-94 E/US-52 E
Entering Minnesota 500 km
31. Take exit 216 to merge onto I-494 S 36.4 km
32. Take exit 5B to merge onto I-35W S toward Albert Lea 14.8 km
33. Continue onto I-35 S
Entering Iowa 186 km
34. Take exit 190 for US-18 E toward IA-27 E/Mason City/Charles City 600 m
35. Keep right at the fork to continue toward IA-27 S/US-18 E and merge onto IA-27 S/US-18 E 54.1 km
36. Continue onto IA-27 S/US-218 S/US-218 Bypass S/Ave of the Saints
Continue to follow IA-27 S/US-218 S 76.4 km
37. Merge onto US-218 S via the ramp to Waterloo/Airport 15.2 km
38. Merge onto I-380 S/US-20 E via the ramp to Cedar Rapids/Dubuque
Continue to follow I-380 S 115 km
39. Continue onto IA-27 S/US-218 S 127 km
40. Continue onto IA-27 S/State Hwy 394
Continue to follow IA-27 S
Entering Missouri 17.4 km
41. Continue onto MO-27 S 12.1 km
42. Continue onto US-61 S 48.9 km
43. Take the ramp onto US-24 W/US-61 S
Continue to follow US-61 S 172 km
44. Continue onto I-64 E
Entering Illinois 175 km
45. Continue onto I-57 S 76.2 km
46. Slight right at I-24 E (signs for Nashville)
Passing through Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia
Entering Tennessee 510 km
47. Take exit 185A to merge onto I-75 S toward Atlanta
Entering Georgia 288 km
48. Slight right at I-475 S (signs for Bypass to I-75 South Valdosta) 24.4 km
49. Take the exit onto I-75 S
Partial toll road
Entering Florida 932 km
50. Take exit 49 for Snake Rd 500 m
51. Turn left at Government Rd/Snake Rd
Continue to follow Government Rd 10.2 km
52. Continue onto Snake Rd 1.6 km
Snake Rd

Old Post 08-24-2010 07:27 AM
FuhQall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FuhQall Click here to Send FuhQall a Private Message Find more posts by FuhQall Add FuhQall to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aydin
El Fugaz

What the hell is that?

Old Post 08-24-2010 08:14 AM
Aydin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Aydin Click here to Send Aydin a Private Message Find more posts by Aydin Add Aydin to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FuhQall
High Flyer

trying to put into perspective how far you could drive in 9 days, basically 1.5 round trips from yukon territory to south florida in the time it takes you to get through the jam in china.

Old Post 08-24-2010 09:02 AM
FuhQall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FuhQall Click here to Send FuhQall a Private Message Find more posts by FuhQall Add FuhQall to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aydin
El Fugaz

Oh. I was wondering why you stopped in the middle of the Everglades when there was still another half day's driving to the tip of Florida.
I don't think the same people are stuck there for 9 days, but there has been a queue for 9 days.

Old Post 08-24-2010 09:17 AM
Coincidence
Counterfeit

Great thread, guys.

Old Post 08-24-2010 09:33 AM
Coincidence is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coincidence Click here to Send Coincidence a Private Message Visit Coincidence's homepage! Find more posts by Coincidence Add Coincidence to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FuhQall
High Flyer

I live for traffic dynamics!

Old Post 08-24-2010 10:13 AM
Aydin
El Fugaz

China already has better infrastructure than the US, and they're spending lots more. They've already built the equivalent of the Interstate Highway System in under 10 years. It took the US almost 40 years. And now they're doing the same thing with high speed rail (actual high speed, not the U. S. definition).

Old Post 08-24-2010 05:07 PM
Mordecai

quote:
Originally posted by Aydin
China already has better infrastructure than the US,

Oh if only that were a real compliment to the Chinese infrastructure.

-m

Old Post 08-24-2010 07:01 PM
Mordecai is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mordecai Click here to Send Mordecai a Private Message Find more posts by Mordecai Add Mordecai to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coincidence
Counterfeit

quote:
Do you want to see what human eyes have never seen? Look at the moon. Do you want to hear what ears have never heard? Listen to the bird's cry. Do you want to touch what hands have never touched? Touch the earth. Verily I say that God is about to create the world.

Jorge Luis Borges

Excuse my far fetched association, but I needed to post this somewhere.

Old Post 08-24-2010 07:08 PM
Coincidence is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coincidence Click here to Send Coincidence a Private Message Visit Coincidence's homepage! Find more posts by Coincidence Add Coincidence to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mordecai

You are so a dirty hippy.

-m

Old Post 08-24-2010 07:34 PM
Mordecai is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mordecai Click here to Send Mordecai a Private Message Find more posts by Mordecai Add Mordecai to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aydin
El Fugaz

quote:
Originally posted by Mordecai
Oh if only that were a real compliment to the Chinese infrastructure.

-m

It's not. That traffic jam was because a brand new motorway is already crumbling.

Old Post 08-24-2010 08:35 PM
3MTA3
Same Tired Monkey

quote:
China already has better infrastructure than the US, and they're spending lots more. They've already built the equivalent of the Interstate Highway System in under 10 years. It took the US almost 40 years. And now they're doing the same thing with high speed rail (actual high speed, not the U. S. definition).
You understand that construction techniques have changed since the US started in the 50s? That it was the states that built them and not a central govt.? That the US highway system is actually still larger than the Chinese by 10,000km(I looked that last bit up)? It also took them 20 years.

Having said all of that, who fucking cares if you see 9 day traffic jams? What sort of nonce compares highway systems? Seriously, what do you think that means? What is even your point other than that you are a pointless jackass?

Old Post 08-25-2010 12:32 AM
3MTA3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 3MTA3 Click here to Send 3MTA3 a Private Message Visit 3MTA3's homepage! Find more posts by 3MTA3 Add 3MTA3 to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aydin
El Fugaz

You're confusing highways built by the states with the federally funded Interstate Highway System.

Old Post 08-25-2010 01:10 AM
Dingle
Gay for Mugtoe

quote:
Originally posted by FuhQall
trying to put into perspective how far you could drive in 9 days, basically 1.5 round trips from yukon territory to south florida in the time it takes you to get through the jam in china.

The traffic has been backed up for 9 days, that doesn't mean any single car has been sitting there for 9 days. (they'd all be out of gas for one, and for two they all would get out and walk home long before waiting 9 days)

Old Post 08-25-2010 01:19 AM
Dingle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dingle Click here to Send Dingle a Private Message Find more posts by Dingle Add Dingle to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
3MTA3
Same Tired Monkey

quote:
You're confusing highways built by the states with the federally funded Interstate Highway System.
Who do you think built the interstate highways? The states, dumb dumb. Yes, the fed funded them, thats not in contention. Go look it up, it certainly wasnt the Federal Department of Highway Construction that built them. How about you know what you are talking about before you say something? Try it.

Also, from http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Glob...and-criminality

quote:
The police blame the monstrous jam on highway roadwork, compounded by minor accidents and a few breakdowns.

In fact, the mega blockage – the second in two months on a stretch of road about 130 miles northwest of the capital – is a tale of deceit and criminality that speaks volumes about China’s breakneck economic development. And behind the traffic chaos stands King Coal.

China relies on coal for 70 percent of its energy needs. For years, small illegal coal mines in the province of Shanxi provided Beijing and its surroundings with a good deal of coal but so many of the mines would collapse or explode, and so many miners would die, (over 1,600 nationwide last year according to official figures) that the local authorities have closed most of them down.

That’s all very well, but China being China, the province of Inner Mongolia, to the North of Shanxi, has taken up the slack. And an awful lot of the trucks currently snarled on the G110 expressway to Beijing are carrying coal mined illegally in Inner Mongolia.

They are taking the G110, drivers explained to the daily Beijing News, because there are no coal checkpoints on that highway, so they don’t have to bribe any inspectors to turn a blind eye to their illegal loads.

Old Post 08-25-2010 02:07 AM
3MTA3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 3MTA3 Click here to Send 3MTA3 a Private Message Visit 3MTA3's homepage! Find more posts by 3MTA3 Add 3MTA3 to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aydin
El Fugaz

I know the interstates were built by the states with federal money, long before China built their expressways. What the fuck are you arguing about?

Old Post 08-25-2010 03:02 AM
Coincidence
Counterfeit

USA! USA!

Old Post 08-25-2010 11:02 AM
Mordecai

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGARBL!

-m

Old Post 08-25-2010 11:03 AM
Hawley Griffin
.308 winchester

quote:
What the fuck are you arguing about?

that taking 40 years to do something that should have taken 10 years is the right way to go

Old Post 08-26-2010 09:51 PM
Hawley Griffin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hawley Griffin Click here to Send Hawley Griffin a Private Message Find more posts by Hawley Griffin Add Hawley Griffin to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Risus
Fluffy Bunny

quote:
It's not. That traffic jam was because a brand new motorway is already crumbling.

Actually, the cause of the traffic jam is the number of new cars being put on the road every day, The highways cannot handle the number of new vehicles...

Old Post 09-04-2010 08:07 PM
Risus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Risus Click here to Send Risus a Private Message Find more posts by Risus Add Risus to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hawley Griffin
.308 winchester

actually you have no idea what you are talking about

Old Post 09-04-2010 08:13 PM
Hawley Griffin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hawley Griffin Click here to Send Hawley Griffin a Private Message Find more posts by Hawley Griffin Add Hawley Griffin to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lucidnightmare
Pro Snowflake

quote:
Originally posted by Coincidence
USA! USA!

I should send you one of those redneck beer can caps with the tubes for drinking beer.

Old Post 09-04-2010 08:41 PM
lucidnightmare is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lucidnightmare Click here to Send lucidnightmare a Private Message Find more posts by lucidnightmare Add lucidnightmare to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coincidence
Counterfeit

That would be awesome.

Old Post 09-04-2010 10:31 PM