The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > Polìticàs der Mondé > foreign money
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
lucidnightmare
Pro Snowflake

foreign money

quote:
Reporting from Washington — In a potential sign of Democratic unease with the White House midterm political strategy, some of President Obama's allies have begun to question his sustained attack on the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, which has long claimed bipartisanship but is being increasingly identified as a GOP ally.

Some Democrats on Capitol Hill worry that the White House is going too far in charging that the politically powerful business lobby may be using foreign money to fuel its election efforts. The charge ignites strong feelings among job-hungry voters. But Democrats are concerned that it may be overstated and could harm moderate Democrats in swing districts.

The charge was first leveled by a liberal-leaning think tank last week, and since has been pressed by Obama and top White House aides. It stems from allegations that the same chamber fund that takes in dues and fees from overseas memberships is used to finance political activities.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...0,4530149.story

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-12-2010 07:04 PM
lucidnightmare is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lucidnightmare Click here to Send lucidnightmare a Private Message Find more posts by lucidnightmare Add lucidnightmare to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
billgerat
Hope-nosis

That is one major reason why the Dems tend to lose some elections - fear. Fuck the COC.

Citizens United will ultimately prove to be one of the worst decisions that the USSC ever made.

Old Post 10-13-2010 12:38 AM
billgerat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for billgerat Click here to Send billgerat a Private Message Find more posts by billgerat Add billgerat to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trenchant_Troll
ad hominid

While I agree with your assessment of the SCOTUS' decision in this regard, you know damned well that the Left (Soros, Unions, Move-on, et al) have been gaming the system as much if not more than the GOP.

Again, the keys are in the hands or the voters/consumers of the shit that gets shoveled out by both sides. Money can buy a lot of ads and such, but it can only buy elections if the people buy the bullshit.

That is why it is not only your right, but in a way your civic duty to vote, regardless of your political persuasion. If you can legally vote, and don't? Well, you are not part of the problem, you ARE the problem. Let that sink in.

Old Post 10-13-2010 12:48 AM
Trenchant_Troll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trenchant_Troll Click here to Send Trenchant_Troll a Private Message Find more posts by Trenchant_Troll Add Trenchant_Troll to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coincidence
Counterfeit

Unless you would voted for Bush. Then you WERE, ARE and WILL BE a bigger problem.

But good luck with the new meme.

Old Post 10-13-2010 12:35 PM
Coincidence is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coincidence Click here to Send Coincidence a Private Message Visit Coincidence's homepage! Find more posts by Coincidence Add Coincidence to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trenchant_Troll
ad hominid

quote:
Originally posted by Coincidence
Unless you would voted for Bush. Then you WERE, ARE and WILL BE a bigger problem.

In your opinion, Dane. An opinion that matters to no one.

Old Post 10-13-2010 06:28 PM
Trenchant_Troll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trenchant_Troll Click here to Send Trenchant_Troll a Private Message Find more posts by Trenchant_Troll Add Trenchant_Troll to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coincidence
Counterfeit

That's an opinion carrying the extra oomph of being true, so I can see why you would disregard it.

Old Post 10-13-2010 06:47 PM
Coincidence is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coincidence Click here to Send Coincidence a Private Message Visit Coincidence's homepage! Find more posts by Coincidence Add Coincidence to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

quote:
Originally posted by billgerat
That is one major reason why the Dems tend to lose some elections - fear. Fuck the COC.

I don't think that being scared of things that can fuck you up is a mistake. You can't generally say "fuck everyone that opposes me" and simply call it "courage" without calling it "stupid" as well.

Old Post 10-13-2010 07:22 PM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
billgerat
Hope-nosis

ThinkProgress documents more foreign funding to Chamber
by Joan McCarter
Wed Oct 13, 2010 at 04:36:04 PM PDT

ThinkProgress has a new investigation to supplement their story from last week that documented "the disclosure of fundraising documents U.S. Chamber staffers had been distributing to solicit foreign (even state-owned) companies to donate directly to the Chamber’s 501(c)(6)."

This new chapter of the investigation adds significantly to ThinkProgress's case with very specific donations documented that are far beyond what the Chamber has publicly acknowledged in interviews.

ThinkProgress began by documenting the three ways in which the Chamber fundraises from foreign corporations, and how that money goes into its "501(c)(6) entity, the same account that finances its unprecedented $75 million dollar partisan attack ad campaign." The Chamber has responded with a focus on just one of those avenues for fundraising--the red-herring AmChams, the network of Chabmer affiliates internationally, composed of American and foreign companies. The Chamber acknowledges their existence, and that it receives money from them, but has stonewalled any attempt to deteremine whether or not that money is making its way into their attack ads for Republicans. To date, the traditional media has just bought that story, has accepted the Chamber's "just trust us" line. From today's report:

The Chamber is being deceptive. In addition to multinational members of the Chamber headquartered abroad (like BP, Shell Oil, and Siemens), a new ThinkProgress investigation has identified at least 84 other foreign companies that actively donate to the Chamber’s 501(c)(6). Below is a chart detailing the annual dues foreign corporations have indicated that they give directly to the Chamber (using information that is publicly available from the Business Council applications and the Chamber’s own websites)....

Again, all of these annual dues are collected in the same 501(c)(6) the Chamber is using to run partisan attack ads. The data above reflects information from public sources, and the Chamber likely has many more foreign corporations as dues-paying members — but refuses to divulge any of the funders for their ad campaign....

Here’s how the Chamber’s unusual foreign fundraising operation works. According to this internal Chamber staff chart obtained by ThinkProgress, the Chamber has an international division devoted to promoting free trade and related policy issues. U.S. Chamber staffers, based here in Washington, D.C. with offices in the Chamber’s building at 1615 H Street, create bilateral “Business Councils” fundraising programs to solicit money from foreign corporations in Korea, Egypt, Brazil, Bahrain, India, and other places. For instance, the Chamber’s US-Egypt Business Council directs potential members to wire their checks to the US Chamber of Commerce. The application also notes that checks should be marked “ATTN: Leila Vossoughi.” Vossaoughi is a regular staffer at the Chamber. Promotions to join the Chamber have included promises that foreign firms obtain “access to the US Chamber of Commerce and everything that it does” and pledges to help the foreign firms promote free trade policies in America. All of the staffers who manage the Business Councils work directly for the Chamber. These Business Councils are nothing like the Chamber’s AmChams, which are foreign affiliates of the Chamber composed of American and foreign businesses abroad. Business Councils are based in the Chamber and even hosted on the U.S. Chamber’s website domain. Bylaws from the US-Bahrain Business Council confirm that the money the U.S. Chamber raises from these applications — which welcome foreign-owned businesses — goes into the Chamber’s 501(c)(6).

There is no intermediary for this money, like an "AmCham" or some other affiliated organization. This money goes directly into the Chamber's general account--the account that funds the attack ads. This amounts to about three times the amount of foreign funding Think Progress documented last week--from just two sources, the so-called Business Councils they've setup in India and Bahrain. And it's at least eight times more money than the Chamber has acknowledges comes to them from foreign sources.

Perhaps this will spur some enterprising investigative reporter in the traditional media to stop trusting the Chamber.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2...ding-to-Chamber

Old Post 10-14-2010 02:35 AM
billgerat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for billgerat Click here to Send billgerat a Private Message Find more posts by billgerat Add billgerat to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pianomahnn
Sw0ul3!!!!!11

Foreign Contributions = Economic Stimulus

Old Post 10-14-2010 04:43 AM
Pianomahnn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pianomahnn Click here to Send Pianomahnn a Private Message Visit Pianomahnn's homepage! Find more posts by Pianomahnn Add Pianomahnn to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

Factcheck.org pointed out earlier this week that the claim was unproven despite being asserted as fact. That doesn't mean it's not true, although the CoC has said that the amount of money it takes in from foreign corporations is so relatively small compared to its overall operating budget that trying to pin their ad expenditures on foreign corporations is a flim-flam at best.

Old Post 10-14-2010 07:30 PM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coincidence
Counterfeit

I need to know what it is at worst.

Old Post 10-14-2010 09:24 PM
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

Well, from the CoC point of view, at worst it'd be a heinous attempt to smear them and their preferred candidates. From the other point of view, it'd be a heinous purchase of American government favour by foreign corporations and governments via warping the democratic process.

Clinton got hit with somewhat similar allegations, incidentally, that he took campaign funds from the Chinese government and in return gave them access to formerly restricted hardware. It's a popular refrain, because foreigners are eeeebil, unlike fine, upstanding Americans, lantern-jawed defenders of freedom.

Old Post 10-14-2010 09:55 PM
Coincidence
Counterfeit

That's cool, but I really just wanted to know what's opposite from a flim-flam on your spectrum. Heinous it is.

Old Post 10-14-2010 10:01 PM
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

quote:
That's cool, but I really just wanted to know what's opposite from a flim-flam on your spectrum. Heinous it is.

No, when I say that the CoC would say that "at best, it's a flim-flam", that construction means that they're claiming it's a con trick at best, and at worst something, well, worse, like a very nasty smear.

I didn't say it was a flim-flam; I don't know enough about the truth of the accusations. My understanding is that the CoC's opinion is that it's a flim-flam.

Old Post 10-14-2010 10:36 PM
Coincidence
Counterfeit

This is only about vocabulary.

Old Post 10-14-2010 10:57 PM
Thimbles worth of opinion
Symetrically challenged

I'm on a bit of an argument about this here:
http://www.cjr.org/the_audit/the_pr..._obamas_cha.php

Old Post 10-14-2010 11:53 PM
Thimbles worth of opinion is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thimbles worth of opinion Click here to Send Thimbles worth of opinion a Private Message Find more posts by Thimbles worth of opinion Add Thimbles worth of opinion to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hawley Griffin
.308 winchester

you say you are out of argument but then you post a link anyway

Old Post 10-15-2010 12:07 AM
Hawley Griffin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hawley Griffin Click here to Send Hawley Griffin a Private Message Find more posts by Hawley Griffin Add Hawley Griffin to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thimbles worth of opinion
Symetrically challenged

What greater evil is there?

Old Post 10-15-2010 12:34 AM
Thimbles worth of opinion is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thimbles worth of opinion Click here to Send Thimbles worth of opinion a Private Message Find more posts by Thimbles worth of opinion Add Thimbles worth of opinion to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trenchant_Troll
ad hominid

Me.

Old Post 10-15-2010 06:00 AM
Coincidence
Counterfeit

You're a heinous flim-flam indeed.

Old Post 10-15-2010 10:44 AM
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

quote:
This is only about vocabulary.

It -- "an X at best" -- is a common usage of the words in English; not quite an idiom, but it has a particular meaning that's well-understood and where, in general, the "at worst" part can be left out. Which I assume you know, so I am bemused at your interest.

"Flim-flam" is also a commonly-used description of a trick/misdirection.

Old Post 10-15-2010 02:06 PM
Coincidence
Counterfeit

Commonly-used in your circles perhaps. And I am glad to share my not insignificant bemusement with you.

Old Post 10-15-2010 03:14 PM
Aydin
El Fugaz

I understood him perfectly. You need to bone up on your English colloquialisms.

Old Post 10-15-2010 06:49 PM
Aydin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Aydin Click here to Send Aydin a Private Message Find more posts by Aydin Add Aydin to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coincidence
Counterfeit

I understood him perfectly as well. It was his choice of words,

ffs.

Old Post 10-15-2010 07:37 PM