The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > What kind of person are you?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
ChikChillin
Fluffy Bunny

Post What kind of person are you?

I've met a lot of people in my life. I've pretty much liked every one of them. I'm the type of person that always wants to be there for others. I love people in general. I love my friends, and never would want anything to happen to them. I would give anything to help friends, or family.

My whole life has become one great big piece of shit. I had a wonderful life. I never had to be without anything. I had loving parents, or so I thought. Everything was going great. I had a house, a car, and a very nice job. That was all ripped from me in ONE week. No big deal. Life goes on right?

Now, I'm not so sure about that. But the worst thing is, I look back at all the people I've met in life. My parents, family, and my friends. They're all happy. Moving on with their lives, bettering themselves. Good for them! They all deserve the best!

What I don't understand is, when did caring about people start kicking you in the teeth? When did family members stop caring? When did friendships become so one-sided? And when did society stop caring about others?

I look back at the time when my Grandparents were my age. People then genuinely cared about one another. What happened to that? Have we become so selfish that we don't realize when someone's in trouble? Or is it that, it's not happening to us, so why bother?

I have finally gotten to the point of numbness. I can't feel anything anymore. I don't want to care about people anymore. I'm just so sick of hurting. I'm sick of not having anyone that listens. People these days aren't listening, they're waiting to talk. I'm just sick and fucking tired of it. I'm done, I'm an empty person. And after this experience I'll never be the same. The loving, caring Laurinda, is dead. I feel as if I'm a walking corpse.

My question to you all, what if you knew that you're family member/friend needed you? Would you be there? Or, would you go on living your life as if nothing was happening, just telling them it would all be ok?

Thanks.

------------------
Tums are good. Think of them as the candy that no one asks for!

I have the cutest little beaner! Don't you wish you had one?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-28-2001 01:11 AM
ChikChillin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ChikChillin Click here to Send ChikChillin a Private Message Find more posts by ChikChillin Add ChikChillin to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
crackmonkey 666
irreverent reverend

hey, man, its like this, without adversity life would be boring as hell, and there would be no differentiation between good times and bad and we as a race of beings would slowly phase ourselves out from pure boredom.
theres an interesting thread with some shitty things that have happened to a few of us a few threads down from this one called bad luck.
but in answer to your question, most of my family i would die for right now for no reason at all, but i wouldn't piss on my mother if her ass was on fire. she is a shithead who can't even remember my birthday.

------------------------
soilent green is people!

Old Post 01-28-2001 01:20 AM
crackmonkey 666 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for crackmonkey 666 Click here to Send crackmonkey 666 a Private Message Find more posts by crackmonkey 666 Add crackmonkey 666 to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roshigoth
The Cheesemeister

quote:
Originally posted by ChikChillin:
My question to you all, what if you knew that you're family member/friend needed you? Would you be there? Or, would you go on living your life as if nothing was happening, just telling them it would all be ok?

That's a hard question for me to answer. I would like to think, yes, I would. But would I really? Things are so complicated, especially for me... Mostly, the fact that I'm 2500 miles from my family and good friends. If I were around when they needed me, I'm almost sure I'd be there for them. I don't know what I could possibly do to help, but I I'd be willing to try.

If I weren't.. well.. I don't think I can really afford to fly home without a damn good reason, and missing school could mess up MY life.. so.. I honestly couldn't tell you.

Difficult question. Unfortunate answer.

------------------------
All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Graphic Cheeseworks.

Old Post 01-28-2001 01:20 AM
Roshigoth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roshigoth Click here to Send Roshigoth a Private Message Find more posts by Roshigoth Add Roshigoth to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aminal
incomplete

i would go well out of my way to help my friends and family.

that is all.

Old Post 01-28-2001 01:38 AM
aminal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for aminal Click here to Send aminal a Private Message Find more posts by aminal Add aminal to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChikChillin
Fluffy Bunny

quote:
Originally posted by crackmonkey 666:
but i wouldn't piss on my mother if her ass was on fire. she is a shithead who can't even remember my birthday.

Are we related? My mom just cares for nothing more than herself, and her current girlfriend. I'm jealous of everyone that has a close relationship to their mom and dad.

------------------------

Old Post 01-28-2001 01:41 AM
ChikChillin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ChikChillin Click here to Send ChikChillin a Private Message Find more posts by ChikChillin Add ChikChillin to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Postmodgirl
quivering arshle

quote:

What I don't understand is, when did caring about people start kicking you in the teeth? When did family members stop caring? When did friendships become so one-sided? And when did society stop caring about others?

I don't think it works that way.

Well sure, some people just suck, & who knows why people do what they do. so POO on them.

But the flip side is that some people just get busy with life. You may have no idea what they are going through (nobody really knows that, even the closest of people). & sometimes what ever is going on with them can cause them to just focus on them. It's up to their friends & family to decide how to take the behavior. Is whatever is going on worth severing a relationship for good?

I look back at the time when my Grandparents were my age. People then genuinely cared about one another. What happened to that? Have we become so selfish that we don't realize when someone's in trouble? Or is it that, it's not happening to us, so why bother?

Things are different, and yet things are the same. Back when my G-ma was growing up family had no choice to rely on eachother. My G-mom's family was hard hit by the depression. If they didn't work together they would have been worse off. But at the same time. From what my G-ma told me about that age, people were pretty much the same. The folks with money looked down on those who did not. There was crime, murder, and general unfriendlyness to those who were not friends or family. That idealistic time where everyone got along and looked out for each other never existed. People have always taken care of themselves first, & if they have time, compassion, & interest they take care their community.

I have finally gotten to the point of numbness. I can't feel anything anymore. I don't want to care about people anymore. I'm just so sick of hurting. I'm sick of not having anyone that listens. People these days aren't listening, they're waiting to talk. I'm just sick and fucking tired of it. I'm done, I'm an empty person. And after this experience I'll never be the same. The loving, caring Laurinda, is dead. I feel as if I'm a walking corpse.

Everyone is self absorbed. I know I am. I am my most fav subject. I like to tell people what I've seen and done. I like to paint self portraits. I like to think about things I wanna do & places I wanna see.

& everyone to some degree is like that. But that's no bad thing.

I'm a listener though as well. I'll listen to anything anyone has to tell me. I find other people very interesting for the most part. But I know what you say when you want to talk about a thing and there's nobody to listen.

I've learned just to say it anyway.

Depends on the problem actually.

Some problems need to be solved by the person who has the problem, no matter how painful it is. Like it or not, we do grow through pain & stress. The important thing is to have support during those times. That's what friends and family are really there for, to support you. I know if a friend was in real physical trouble I'd go and help them in a second. But if my friend was in a drestructive relationship (perhaps abusive) I would not do much. I may give advice & help the person get out of that relationship, but it is ultimatly up to my friend to ask for advice & request help. If I stepped in and just started mouthing off that that guy is no good and bla bla bla, my friend wouldn't listen, cos she has convinced herself she should be there for whatever reason.

Anyway, my point is:

You are the one who is responsible for your life. You can't expect people, friends or family to be there for you all the time, you must be strong within & take care of yourself first!!! that's not selfish, for if you don't take care of yourself, who will?

------------------------
El lobo pierde los dientes más no las mientes.
The wolf loses his teeth, not his nature.
- Mexican-American saying

Old Post 01-28-2001 01:56 AM
Postmodgirl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Postmodgirl Click here to Send Postmodgirl a Private Message Visit Postmodgirl's homepage! Find more posts by Postmodgirl Add Postmodgirl to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Princess_Chelle
no thank you

i would do anything to help the ones i love. BUT, you have to understand that there is a point at which your loved ones need to help themselves.
i have relatives who are manipulative. they ALWAYS need help, and i have helped them numerous times before, but to no end. they never seem to get motivated to better themselves or thier situation, and i dont see why i should work hard to help them, when they dont even bother to try.
so..fuck that.
but, other than that...
yes, i help my loved ones.

------------------------
"Men are all alike--except the one you've met who's different."-Mae West

"Brains are an asset to the woman in love who's smart enough to hide 'em."- also Mae West

Old Post 01-28-2001 02:19 AM
Princess_Chelle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Princess_Chelle Click here to Send Princess_Chelle a Private Message Find more posts by Princess_Chelle Add Princess_Chelle to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChikChillin
Fluffy Bunny

quote:
Originally posted by Postmodgirl:
But the flip side is that some people just get busy with life. You may have no idea what they are going through (nobody really knows that, even the closest of people). & sometimes what ever is going on with them can cause them to just focus on them. It's up to their friends & family to decide how to take the behavior. Is whatever is going on worth severing a relationship for good?

Oh, yea. Anyone who'd rather see harm come to someone, then actually try to help them, is not who I need in my life.

Anyway, my point is:

You are the one who is responsible for your life. You can't expect people, friends or family to be there for you all the time, you must be strong within & take care of yourself first!!! that's not selfish, for if you don't take care of yourself, who will?

I agree. That's why I've never asked them for shit. It's now though, that I really need them. And there's no one there.

------------------------

Old Post 01-28-2001 02:30 AM
urbanjunkie

quote:

Thanks.

My biggest weakness is that I worry more for my friends and family more than I worry about myself.

I have sacrificed so much in my life to help others close to me that I now feel like I have actually neglected *me* far too much.

Being there for friends/family is important. Maybe I'm just weak or something..maybe I should be more selfish for myself....all I know is that I have given a lot but not got that much in return.

People care for me, my family loves me - but deep down....deep deep dpwn...do they really know me and what I need...or do they give me what they think I need...?

(edit:spelling)
------------------------

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here'.

[This message has been edited by urbanjunkie (edited 01-27-2001).]

Old Post 01-28-2001 02:45 AM
urbanjunkie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for urbanjunkie Click here to Send urbanjunkie a Private Message Find more posts by urbanjunkie Add urbanjunkie to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChikChillin
Fluffy Bunny

quote:
Originally posted by urbanjunkie:

My biggest weakness is that I worry more for my friends and family more than I worry about myself.

Exactly! I've always tried to do what I could. I always listenend to them when they had a problem. If any one of them were to become homeless, I'd kill to help them. I just don't get it.

I have sacrificed so much in my life to help others close to me that I now feel like I have actually neglected *me* far too much.

Being there for friends/family is important.

I agree 100%!

Maybe I'm just weak or something

No. I'm going to have to say a caring human being.

..maybe I should be more selfish for myself....all I know is that I have given a lot but not got that much in return.

I never wanted anything from them. I never asked. I just really would have never thought that they'd abandon me in a time of need.

People care for me, my family loves me - but deep down....deep deep dpwn...do they really know me and what I need...or do they give me what they think I need...?

Consider yourself a lucky person. At least you can say that your family cares. I can't say that anymore.

I think that you need to let them know what you need, and how to help you. If they don't know, they can only do what they feel is best.

(edit:spelling)

------------------------

Old Post 01-28-2001 03:17 AM
Caffeine
Caffeine

quote:

What I don't understand is, when did caring about people start kicking you in the teeth?
doesnt sound like they ever did care for you. maybe they pretended to?
When did family members stop caring?
when they become human, and had faults like everyone else. still no excuse not to care, as they are your family. =|
When did friendships become so one-sided?
if its one sided, its not a friendship.
And when did society stop caring about others?
when it found out that in the short term it pays to be selfish.
good thing im in this for the longrun.

I look back at the time when my Grandparents were my age. People then genuinely cared about one another. What happened to that?
thats another whole topic on its own.
Have we become so selfish that we don't realize when someone's in trouble?
realize yes. care, no.
Or is it that, it's not happening to us, so why bother?
exactly.
I have finally gotten to the point of numbness. I can't feel anything anymore. I don't want to care about people anymore.
care about those who you want to. dont care about those who you dont want to. i guess if everyone stops caring than we will all be like your family. selfish. at least there will always be one idiot different from the rest. me =)
I'm just so sick of hurting. I'm sick of not having anyone that listens.
you know where to find me if you ever need to talk.
People these days aren't listening, they're waiting to talk.
ive found quite the different online. all of my friends here are very good listeners
I'm just sick and fucking tired of it. I'm done, I'm an empty person. And after this experience I'll never be the same. The loving, caring Laurinda, is dead. I feel as if I'm a walking corpse.
perhaps its because a part of you died
your faith in mankind. it had to happen sometime.
My question to you all, what if you knew that you're family member/friend needed you Would you be there?
ofcourse
Or, would you go on living your life as if nothing was happening, just telling them it would all be ok?
reassurment is fine, as long as you dont just watch it happen.
Thanks.

------------------------
Will accept plush toys as bribes.

Old Post 01-28-2001 03:36 AM
Caffeine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Caffeine Click here to Send Caffeine a Private Message Find more posts by Caffeine Add Caffeine to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SkapeGoat
Someone

Question

What kind of person am I?

A bad one.

------------------------
©RandomnothinG®
Is it so wrong to want to destroy everything?

Old Post 01-28-2001 06:05 AM
SkapeGoat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SkapeGoat Click here to Send SkapeGoat a Private Message Find more posts by SkapeGoat Add SkapeGoat to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Emerald
Cuddly Puppy

Tough questions because they are so general. Knowing more specifics of any situation makes it easier to judge our own 'possible' reactions.

AS for my extended family....I'd do anything I possibly could to help any of my 3 brothers or parents. I DO mean anything. The reason I KNOW I can say this though, is I know them. I know them well and know what they would want and ask from me in a time of trouble.

There are limits we should set on ourselves as to what kind of help to ask for out of respect for our family and ourselves. My parents taught us this. My parents brought the four of us up to believe that our siblings may be all we have to count on in this world in the end.

My brothers and I don't talk much anymore. I miss that very much sometimes, but it's not because we don't love eachother or think about eachother. We each have our own lives now and life is just way, way too fast.

We keep in touch and there have been times when each one of us has needed help in one way or another. No judgement is ever made. Help is just offered and we go on. That's the way it should be IMHO.

Yes, I am very, very fortunate. I pray I have instilled this one thing in my children: The truth of unconditional love for their siblings.

Em

------------------------
Here????? Now??????

Old Post 01-28-2001 06:28 AM
Emerald is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Emerald Click here to Send Emerald a Private Message Find more posts by Emerald Add Emerald to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spaceboy
Oblivious poster.

Everybody always want people to love each other when THEY'RE in need. When they're comfortable again, the rest of the planet can fuck off. Everyone ELSE is always so uncaring and selfish. "people are too self absorbed to spend time on ME." To me, its the same kind of selfishness.

Old Post 01-28-2001 06:45 AM
Spaceboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Spaceboy Click here to Send Spaceboy a Private Message Find more posts by Spaceboy Add Spaceboy to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Caffeine
Caffeine

I disagree there.

is it so much to ask to be loved?

do you consider that selfish?

------------------------
Will accept plush toys as bribes.

Old Post 01-28-2001 06:49 AM
Caffeine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Caffeine Click here to Send Caffeine a Private Message Find more posts by Caffeine Add Caffeine to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roshigoth
The Cheesemeister

quote:
Originally posted by Spaceboy:
Everybody always want people to love each other when THEY'RE in need. When they're comfortable again, the rest of the planet can fuck off. Everyone ELSE is always so uncaring and selfish. "people are too self absorbed to spend time on ME." To me, its the same kind of selfishness.

True, but there are a few people who do honestly care about others, who do make sacrifices and go out of their ways to help those close to them when they need help.

I do that occasionally.. not nearly as much as I feel I should, but sometimes I just can't bring myself to do it. It's thankless, and most of the time those you help won't return the favor when you're in need. Face it: The best of humanity is always the group that gets shit upon. This fact applies equally in several areas of human behavior.

Humanity sucks.

------------------------
Graphic Cheeseworks.

Old Post 01-28-2001 06:51 AM
Roshigoth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roshigoth Click here to Send Roshigoth a Private Message Find more posts by Roshigoth Add Roshigoth to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roshigoth
The Cheesemeister

quote:
Originally posted by Caffeine:
I disagree there.

is it so much to ask to be loved?

do you consider that selfish?

No, it's not too much to ask to be loved. However, it is selfish. It's justifiably selfish, in my opinion, but still selfish.

The question is where the line is when it becomes too selfish.. self-absorbed?

------------------------
Graphic Cheeseworks.

Old Post 01-28-2001 06:54 AM
Stellar
Deprived

I treat my friends just as they treat me. I will be there for them until they shit on me. If they do it time and time again I will admit I tend to distance myself from them. There is nothing I dislike more than people who take without ever giving.

CC I dont know how much it means now but you know where to find me if you need to talk.

------------------------
"But one thing that sometimes we tend to forget is that people psychotic enough to confess to such things might conceivably be psychotic enough to have done them." - Exorcist

Old Post 01-28-2001 07:02 AM
Stellar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stellar Click here to Send Stellar a Private Message Find more posts by Stellar Add Stellar to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spaceboy
Oblivious poster.

I consider it selfish because in so maqny cases, when somebody asks people to care for one another, they only mean that they want people to care about themselves. I'll agree that there are certain loyalties to friends and family, but shouldn't disqualify the rest of the human race. People want others to listen to their problems, but few people will sit there and help other people conquor theirs. They don't have the time or the need for it, and there's nothing for them to gain. When someone is in the wrong, they want people to be more forgiving, understanding and sympathetic, but how many of those people will act that way when they're wronged? Its the same mentality, imho.

edit- addition: Its kind of what Stellar said. People taking without giving. When their need has been satisfied, everyone else can fuck off. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't understand how someone could be happy, or wish for happiness without trying to do the same for others. If this thing is supposedly the greatest thing on earth, and is worthy enough to consume someone's entire life, how can they deny this other people?

[This message has been edited by Spaceboy (edited 01-28-2001).]

Old Post 01-28-2001 07:10 AM
Spaceboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Spaceboy Click here to Send Spaceboy a Private Message Find more posts by Spaceboy Add Spaceboy to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowmore
drive by drunk

Friendships, selfishness, family....

fuck it all. It doesn't address the issue.

Sometimes the best of us, the most self-contained and independant just need a hand. Not a friend or a mother or a fuckin' s.o. just a hand.

A few bucks, a couch to crash on, a hot meal or a bank loan.

This is the essence of cruetly in our society. Need is anethma. There is a price tag written in pride on everything.

selah.

------------------------
Happiness is a moveable feast.

Old Post 01-28-2001 07:10 AM
bowmore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowmore Click here to Send bowmore a Private Message Find more posts by bowmore Add bowmore to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Emerald
Cuddly Puppy

quote:
Originally posted by bowmore:
There is a price tag written in pride on everything.

Except true, unconditional love.

------------------------
Here????? Now??????

Old Post 01-28-2001 07:14 AM
Emerald is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Emerald Click here to Send Emerald a Private Message Find more posts by Emerald Add Emerald to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spooky
twisty turny thing

I will always help family/friends if I am in a posiiton to help. Although you have to be careful with some friends. I have had friends that have not really been my friends when roles have reversed. (these are the people I now consider to be 'my old drug takling friends').

Anyways. I think family shoudl definuitely help each other if they can. I don't where I would be now if it were'nt for my old man saving my ass economically over the last few years.

I doubt he will ever read this but cheers Dad. I think I must owe him at least £4000 ($6000).

------------------------
sp00ky
---------------------------
Warning: ChikChillin is a bum looker!

Old Post 01-28-2001 09:01 AM
Spooky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Spooky Click here to Send Spooky a Private Message Find more posts by Spooky Add Spooky to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChikChillin
Fluffy Bunny

quote:

That is exactly what I just said. I'm not like that. If anyone EVER comes to me, I do what I can. There were some people here even that needed someone to talk to. I was there for them. I went to them to talk, and get advice. They were too busy.

------------------------

Old Post 01-28-2001 05:52 PM
Princess_Chelle
no thank you

quote:
I consider it selfish because in so maqny cases, when somebody asks people to care for one another, they only mean that they want people to care about themselves. I'll agree that there are certain loyalties to friends and family, but shouldn't disqualify the rest of the human race. People want others to listen to their problems, but few people will sit there and help other people conquor theirs. They don't have the time or the need for it, and there's nothing for them to gain. When someone is in the wrong, they want people to be more forgiving, understanding and sympathetic, but how many of those people will act that way when they're wronged? Its the same mentality, imho.

edit- addition: Its kind of what Stellar said. People taking without giving. When their need has been satisfied, everyone else can fuck off. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't understand how someone could be happy, or wish for happiness without trying to do the same for others. If this thing is supposedly the greatest thing on earth, and is worthy enough to consume someone's entire life, how can they deny this other people?

[This message has been edited by Spaceboy (edited 01-28-2001).]

very well said.

------------------------
"Men are all alike--except the one you've met who's different."-Mae West

"Brains are an asset to the woman in love who's smart enough to hide 'em."- also Mae West

Old Post 01-28-2001 05:59 PM
Princess_Chelle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Princess_Chelle Click here to Send Princess_Chelle a Private Message Find more posts by Princess_Chelle Add Princess_Chelle to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SocialParasite
wallet.dat is where it at

"Are you human?"

"Negative, sir. I am a meat popcicle."

------------------------
Have a good day, and if you feel like subjecting your genitals to high doses of x-ray radiation I'm sure the world will kindly thank you.

Old Post 01-29-2001 03:25 AM
SocialParasite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SocialParasite Click here to Send SocialParasite a Private Message Find more posts by SocialParasite Add SocialParasite to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote