The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > fear
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Postmodgirl
quivering arshle

Thumbs down fear

I had a realization this weekend.

I have a tremendous fear of failure.

it wasn't easy for me to accept that, It was one of those stinking out of control emotional moments that I hate.

hate it
I am not sure if I can do anything about it.

it sucks. it really does.

------------------
...And the best thing you've ever done for me
Is to help me take my life less seriously
It's only life after all

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-06-2001 02:51 AM
Postmodgirl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Postmodgirl Click here to Send Postmodgirl a Private Message Visit Postmodgirl's homepage! Find more posts by Postmodgirl Add Postmodgirl to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pianomahnn
Sw0ul3!!!!!11

Are you talking of all forms of failure? Or the ones that can have a serious effect on your life. ie. You screw up on a math problem, or you get fired from a job because you failed.

Honestly, if this gets in the way of your functioning more normally (sorry to use that word) you can always speak to someone. Although...it doesn't matter. This will probably make you try harder in life, which is always a plus.

------------------------
Live In Freedom

Old Post 02-06-2001 02:59 AM
Pianomahnn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pianomahnn Click here to Send Pianomahnn a Private Message Visit Pianomahnn's homepage! Find more posts by Pianomahnn Add Pianomahnn to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Freelance
Cuddly Puppy

Talking

Don't be upset - have a medal!!

------------------------
Anger=Red

Old Post 02-06-2001 03:12 AM
Freelance is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Freelance Click here to Send Freelance a Private Message Find more posts by Freelance Add Freelance to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morgana
THE Bitch

join the club, honey. i do alot of art in my free time (when i have it, that is), but i almost never finish anything. i'm my worst critic, and i'm always afraid when something's going really good that i'm going to fuck it up.

------------------------
Not everything is love, and not everything in this place is either forgiven or forgotten. - redguard@blackvault.com

Old Post 02-06-2001 03:16 AM
morgana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for morgana Click here to Send morgana a Private Message Visit morgana's homepage! Find more posts by morgana Add morgana to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoeyCat
Felis Dominatus

quote:
Originally posted by Postmodgirl:

You sure you weren't just looking for an excuse to post this guy?

j/k We're always here for you to rant at PMG

------------------------
=^..^=

Old Post 02-06-2001 03:25 AM
JoeyCat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JoeyCat Click here to Send JoeyCat a Private Message Find more posts by JoeyCat Add JoeyCat to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Postmodgirl
quivering arshle

It all leads up to the fact that I am letting myself down (& henceforth letting others down) in a very big way.

Little things rarely bother me. It's the large life problems that I find completely overwelming.

& yes I feel that it does affect my life adversely.

I feel that I should be doing much better than I am.

But I am all talk. I guess.

My friend told me last night that I take myself way too seriously.
she's right. I know she's right.

But I still feel that if I don't push myself then I will accomplish nothing, (not like I am accomplishing anything now, but if I don't then I really wont be accomplishing anything).
If I don't have high expectations of myself, than who will?

If I had a work ethic perhaps I'd be doing better.

I haven't sold anything in months.

I don't know what to do

------------------------
It's only life after all

Old Post 02-06-2001 03:55 AM
Postmodgirl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Postmodgirl Click here to Send Postmodgirl a Private Message Visit Postmodgirl's homepage! Find more posts by Postmodgirl Add Postmodgirl to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rabble Rouser
Eight legged freak

PMG, I'm right there with ya.

I never thought about it until you mentioned it, but failure is my biggest fear. Everything I do fucks up, despite my best intentions. It's gotten to the point where I barely try new things anymore because, given my record, I know I'm going to screw them up. But I want to try new things. But I don't want to fail. And I can't have one without the other.

------------------------
"Is there no place for the man with a 105 IQ???" - Homer Simpson

Old Post 02-06-2001 12:31 PM
Rabble Rouser is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rabble Rouser Click here to Send Rabble Rouser a Private Message Find more posts by Rabble Rouser Add Rabble Rouser to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Leroy Binks
Retired Handle

You know that while failure is a big fear, it should also be a big motivator. You fail and you should go "WHOA! better not keep this up." But it never works out like that. Fear paralyzes too often.

------------------------
I went Grunge and all I got was this lousy stench.

Old Post 02-06-2001 01:34 PM
Leroy Binks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Leroy Binks Click here to Send Leroy Binks a Private Message Visit Leroy Binks's homepage! Find more posts by Leroy Binks Add Leroy Binks to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lightbulb
Blarg. I'm dead.

PMG said:
I feel that I should be doing much better than I am.

PMG, how could you possibly do that? You are doing exactly what you are doing, and you are doing it to the best of your abilities. Maybe next year you will be doing the same things with greater skill, since you will have invested a year's practice. Maybe you will have decided to do other things.

No-one can do anything the way you do it, because you are unique. Your actions in the world are imprinted with your personal signature. If you try to do them 'better' than that, you undermine what you are, because you haven't defined what 'better' is.

You could try focussing upon immersing yourself more deeply in what you do, which isn't 'better', it's just more profoundly yourself.

Can you breathe 'better'? Naw. Some people would tell you you can breathe more freely, or more deeply, or in a more relaxed fashion, but all those things are tied to the way your body is formed, and they are clearly defined differences. In the end, your are just breathing in a way which is more suited to you.

'Better' is a relative term, and how can you compare in a relative fashion unique creatures? Is the way a duck paddles better that the way a cheetah pounces?

Er.

It's going all Zen.

Selling things does not equate to personal betterment. It equates to an increase in personal finance. Nothing more. And it requires the implicit cooperation of other people to decide to buy or not to buy your work. They could be labouring under terrible aesthetic misconceptions. (Most of them are.)

Put all of those concerns in the money/finance section of your mind for a bit, close the lid and see what's left over. See how you feel about yourself and your work when you (mentally) remove the necessity for a bunch of monkies to give you meaningless bio-survival tickets in order that you might continue to sing for them like a nightinggale for their spiritual nourishment.

That's the bit of yourself that's important.

Old Post 02-06-2001 02:57 PM
Lightbulb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lightbulb Find more posts by Lightbulb Add Lightbulb to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Postmodgirl
quivering arshle

Perhaps I should say that I feel I have not put forth my best effort. I know I can do better than this. & that is why I am so hard on myself.

I am not living up to my own expectations.

good wisdom tho lightbulb

------------------------
It's only life after all

Old Post 02-07-2001 04:27 AM