The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > not exactly gonzo jounalism
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
DevilMoon
passive stalker?

Post not exactly gonzo jounalism

i was able to get press/photo credentials for the electronic music fest here and so far so good.

i learned that mixmaster mike doesn't allow photos because it's 'distracting', and that the people that run the event can't tell you who allows photos, but make you schedule photo times in advance anyway.

i had thought that photo credentials don't get you anywhere that amazing (except on a walkway in front of the mainstage), until I happened across an area today that you need a media pass to enter. inside are a lot of tables, as well as a booth that provides beer, liquor, and other beverages for free and there were also some sort of catering tables that were empty at the time (towards the end of the night). so tomorrow its free drinks and food.

i also learned by observing a guy that writes for a french magazine (who, oddly enough, doesn't use a computer, he uses a typewriter and faxes everything) that when you complain to the organizers that they wouldn't allow any photos of kid koala, mixmaster mike and de la soul that you should throw in "and you guys closed down the beer tent 6 minutes early" for added effect.

when i get them developed i will pick some for iod.

d

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-28-2001 08:04 AM
DevilMoon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DevilMoon Click here to Send DevilMoon a Private Message Find more posts by DevilMoon Add DevilMoon to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Inky
-------------------------

The last press pass I had was at Lollapalooza about '95 maybe? The one that Sonic Youth headlined.

Anyhow, my pass got me through a gate and into a tent.

That was it.

Just a tent. There was nothing even in the tent. Except for a few other people with passes. Writers and photographers I knew. And we all said "what's the deal with the tent?"

Finally this chick came to get me, she was the PR person for whatever label Pavement was on, I cannot recall now, (Matador?) because I had done a phone interview with Pavement and she wanted me to come meet them. So she told the guys to let me through, and off I went.

And for awhile I hung out in the back on the grass and sat at tables with Pavement and Adam Sandler and Sonic Youth and so on. I saw Beck and Courtney Love and Drew Barrymore. There were a few kids (like Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon's baby, Coco, and their male nanny) playing in the grass.

It was quite dull really.

I have had a few fun experiences with press passes, but mostly they just get you into the show for free and let you wander around backstage where no one knows you.

------------------------
"if you never take it seriously, you never get hurt and if you never get hurt you always have fun"

Old Post 05-28-2001 08:33 AM
Inky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Inky Click here to Send Inky a Private Message Find more posts by Inky Add Inky to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spooky
twisty turny thing

I climbed under a fence to sneak into Reading Festival in 1996 to meet my mate and found that I had sneaked into the back stage area behind the Main Stage. It was cool. Free drinks and all sorts. UNfortunately I got kicked out after an hour. Still I got into the festival for free anyway

------------------------
sp00ky
---------------------------

Old Post 05-28-2001 09:23 AM
Spooky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Spooky Click here to Send Spooky a Private Message Find more posts by Spooky Add Spooky to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SocialParasite
wallet.dat is where it at

I almost got Ricky Skaggs' autograph before he became a big country music star. Of course, the security was all like "No autographs," and I didn't care because I hate country music.

Just thought I would share a lame music experience.

------------------------
Have a good day, and if you feel like subjecting your genitals to high doses of x-ray radiation I'm sure the world will kindly thank you.

Old Post 05-28-2001 09:31 AM
SocialParasite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SocialParasite Click here to Send SocialParasite a Private Message Find more posts by SocialParasite Add SocialParasite to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote