The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > Tech Savy Britons
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Tefl
Reality Theorist

Post Tech Savy Britons

I just saw this on MSNBC and about split a gut laughing. Forgive me.

Britons aren’t so tech-savvy

One in four users attacked their machines

By Wendy McAuliffe
ZDNet (UK)

June 1--An online survey into embarrassing computer-related experiences has revealed that Britons are not as tech-savvy as they may have hoped.

PC MANUFACTURER Novatech asked its customers to share their most cringeworthy computer moments, and was inundated with 4,200 replies.
The survey that looked into people’s relationships with their computers discovered that 25 percent of users had physically attacked their machines. As computers become more and more a part of our daily lives, we obviously share more experiences with them, said David Furby, managing director.
But judging by some of the responses, it is clear that a lot of these experiences are unpleasant, due to a general lack of technical knowledge amongst British PC users.
Confessions included those of a new employee, who on her first day snapped at IT support for not responding to her calls for help. Well I pressed the F1 button marked ‘help’ ages ago but nobody came, she protested.

One new computer user revealed that she had tried to operate the mouse with her foot, thinking that it worked in the same way as a pedal on an electric sewing machine.
Another computer novice admitted paying an IT engineer a £56 ($79) call-out fee and £25 ($35) for the first hour to fix a faulty monitor, which in fact wasn’t plugged in.
One lady logged onto a chatroom entitled the whipped cream room, thinking that it was a room for cookery fans, only to discover a roomful of sexual deviants into 101 ways of using whipped cream.
One of the most surprising and pleasant results was just how much humor and social interaction they cause. Although in many cases, it’s probably not the sort of social interaction people were expecting, commented Furby.
http://www.msnbc.com/news/581448.asp?0nm=B12K

------------------

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity." -Robert Heinlein

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-01-2001 11:32 PM
Tefl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tefl Click here to Send Tefl a Private Message Find more posts by Tefl Add Tefl to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spooky
twisty turny thing

yeah I laughed at that too We are not all that bad, just the ones that buy their computers with Windows running on them really, after all why would you kick a machine with Linux on it.

------------------------
sp00ky
---------------------------

[This message has been edited by Spooky (edited 06-01-2001).]

Old Post 06-01-2001 11:41 PM
Spooky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Spooky Click here to Send Spooky a Private Message Find more posts by Spooky Add Spooky to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tefl
Reality Theorist

Spooky, when I posted that I knew you'd be the first to respond.

Windows isn't so bad. Everyone needs something in their life that gives them grief. It keeps you on your toes.

------------------------

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity." -Robert Heinlein

Old Post 06-02-2001 12:04 AM
Tefl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tefl Click here to Send Tefl a Private Message Find more posts by Tefl Add Tefl to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fiend
Medically crazy

hehehehhehehehehehheheheh!!!!!!

trust me im sure we have plenty in the USA also

but that F1 thing was funny as hell

------------------------
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old Post 06-02-2001 12:05 AM
Fiend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fiend Click here to Send Fiend a Private Message Find more posts by Fiend Add Fiend to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paint CHiPs
Smartest Man in the World

There HAS to be a website somewhere dedicated to chronicling stupid computer users and the dumb shit that they do. I know that every tech support dweed on the planet has dozens of really great stories of moronic users, and I want to laugh at their ignorance dammit!

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to find me that website.

Old Post 06-05-2001 11:52 PM
Paint CHiPs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paint CHiPs Click here to Send Paint CHiPs a Private Message Visit Paint CHiPs's homepage! Find more posts by Paint CHiPs Add Paint CHiPs to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aminal
incomplete

http://www.techtales.com

------------------------
a /\/\ i n a l

Old Post 06-06-2001 01:06 AM
aminal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for aminal Click here to Send aminal a Private Message Find more posts by aminal Add aminal to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paint CHiPs

quote:
Originally posted by aminal:

Rock!!

*tries to dog ear the computer screen*

Old Post 06-06-2001 02:48 AM
Paint CHiPs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paint CHiPs Click here to Send Paint CHiPs a Private Message Visit Paint CHiPs's homepage! Find more posts by Paint CHiPs Add Paint CHiPs to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paint CHiPs

quote:
Originally posted by aminal:

Okay, the joke I just made that nobody on earth is going to get notwithstanding, these CAN'T be real stories. Please for the love of Christ tell me these are works of fiction.

Old Post 06-06-2001 03:17 AM
JoeyCat
Felis Dominatus

quote:
Originally posted by Paint CHiPs:
Okay, the joke I just made that nobody on earth is going to get notwithstanding, these CAN'T be real stories. Please for the love of Christ tell me these are works of fiction.

actually Paint, I got it

------------------------

Old Post 06-06-2001 03:32 AM
JoeyCat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JoeyCat Click here to Send JoeyCat a Private Message Find more posts by JoeyCat Add JoeyCat to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paint CHiPs

quote:
Originally posted by Joeycat:
actually Paint, I got it

Yay.

*ISP is a cable isp, so customers should be connected all the time*
Tech: Thank you for calling joeisp, how may I help you?

Caller: These darn robots keep breaking my connection every night!

Tech: Robots?

Caller: Yes! I leave my computer on everynight, and while I am asleep, the robots come out and disconnect me from the internet! Then, right before I wake up, they reconnect me!

Tech: Sir, I don't think this is a supported issue....

Caller: Do you think I should call Microsoft??

Tech: Yes, exactly, call Microsoft and they will help you!!!

Old Post 06-06-2001 03:37 AM