The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > Management styles (Oxsan)
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

Management styles (Oxsan)

Abdi was the official historian of the court of Sultan Mehmet IV of the Ottoman Empire from 1648-87. He was charged by the Sultan to write in extreme detail all of the proceedings of the court every day and to compile these writing into a book of history. One evening Sultan Mehmet called Abdi to him and asked. “What hast thou written this day?” Abdi replied that since it had been a dull day and nothing important had happened, that he had decided not to write anything for this day. Sultan Mehmet instantly seized a spear nearby and hurled it at the historian wounding him severely. The Sultan stood over him and said, “Now thou hast something to write about.” Now, THAT is hands-on management.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-16-2003 02:17 AM
Mugtoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mugtoe Click here to Send Mugtoe a Private Message Find more posts by Mugtoe Add Mugtoe to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vegas
15 = micropenis

I will remember to keep a spear near my desk for motivation....

Your whole "I dress like an office drone and act respectable and then sit on forum where we discuss urethra fucking and public torture" bit still creeps me out. I bet it would creep out your co-workers even more.

-m

Old Post 04-16-2003 03:43 AM
Vegas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vegas Click here to Send Vegas a Private Message Find more posts by Vegas Add Vegas to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nymbus
incognito

And from these mighty beginnings came the oft-uttered, much hated parental expression "I'll give you something to cry about!"

Old Post 04-16-2003 01:10 PM
nymbus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nymbus Click here to Send nymbus a Private Message Find more posts by nymbus Add nymbus to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

Well, Sultan Mehmed IV had a 39 year regn as top dog of the Ottoman Empire. He held the job down from 1648 to 1687. He was a pretty forceful fellow.

Don't kick until yer spurred.

Old Post 04-16-2003 03:13 PM
oxsan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oxsan Click here to Send oxsan a Private Message Visit oxsan's homepage! Find more posts by oxsan Add oxsan to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thumper
The Rain King

I have had the good fortune to work with an office manager who, when times are good, is very generous and fun to be around. However, when times are bad, he motivates those around him by belittling them, micromanaging their every move, creating a horrendous working environment. When times get tough, I think you get a chance to see people's real character. I respond better to positive reinforcement than negative motivation.

Maybe this is why I am changing my working environment by changing jobs. You think I am going to take that shit!

Old Post 04-16-2003 05:29 PM
Thumper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thumper Click here to Send Thumper a Private Message Find more posts by Thumper Add Thumper to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

There are some junior officers like that in the Army that just seem to have extraordinary badluck in combat.

Old Post 04-16-2003 09:31 PM
oxsan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oxsan Click here to Send oxsan a Private Message Visit oxsan's homepage! Find more posts by oxsan Add oxsan to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

That's the difference twixt the thourobred and the mule. It's all in how they respond to the whip.

Old Post 04-16-2003 09:42 PM
Mugtoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mugtoe Click here to Send Mugtoe a Private Message Find more posts by Mugtoe Add Mugtoe to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aydin
El Fugaz

IV Mehmet vassalized Ukraine and conquered Crete, the last major acquisition before the long decline.

Old Post 04-16-2003 09:44 PM
Aydin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Aydin Click here to Send Aydin a Private Message Find more posts by Aydin Add Aydin to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Aydin
El Fugaz

His long reign has to do with being a young child when he became padishah.

Old Post 04-16-2003 09:54 PM
Aydin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Aydin Click here to Send Aydin a Private Message Find more posts by Aydin Add Aydin to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

True, he was six years old when he became Sultan.; Nothing like getting an early start on your chosen profession.

Old Post 04-16-2003 10:05 PM
Charlotte
Adorable Pussycat

Insightful~

It seems a sophiscated management skill, but actually I think I didn't get it!

Old Post 04-04-2013 02:31 PM
Charlotte is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charlotte Click here to Send Charlotte a Private Message Visit Charlotte's homepage! Find more posts by Charlotte Add Charlotte to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J E B Stuart
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Thumper
...Maybe this is why I am changing my working environment by changing jobs. You think I am going to take that shit!

Happy birthday, Thumperline! Still job hoppin’? Hope you found a nice place to land. There is life after divorce.

Amen.

" Future years will never know the seething hell and the black infernal background of countless minor scenes and interiors, (not the official surface courteousness of the Generals, not the few great battles) of the Secession war; and it is best they should not�the real war will never get in the books." ~ Walt Whitman

Old Post 07-14-2019 08:53 PM
J E B Stuart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J E B Stuart Click here to Send J E B Stuart a Private Message Visit J E B Stuart's homepage! Find more posts by J E B Stuart Add J E B Stuart to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote