The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > My life, another update!
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Caffeine
Caffeine

My life, another update!

I am opening an auction house. I have the funding, and a lot of the help I'm going to need. I'm serious. I soon will be attending school to learn auctioneer chant.

I'm renting a building, hiring people, and bibblybobbing.

Show me the pitfalls of my plan.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-17-2002 03:16 AM
Caffeine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Caffeine Click here to Send Caffeine a Private Message Find more posts by Caffeine Add Caffeine to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fiend
Medically crazy

Can you talk really fucking fast?

"We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it." -Douglas Adams

Old Post 10-17-2002 03:22 AM
Fiend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fiend Click here to Send Fiend a Private Message Find more posts by Fiend Add Fiend to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Caffeine
Caffeine

They don't talk fast, they just don't stop talking. The key is rhythm, or so I'm told.

I already talk fast, and no one understands what I say. I think I'm in.

Old Post 10-17-2002 03:27 AM
Caffeine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Caffeine Click here to Send Caffeine a Private Message Find more posts by Caffeine Add Caffeine to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wonderaz
Sarky Bastard

Re: My life, another update!

quote:
Originally posted by Caffeine

Show me the pitfalls of my plan.

How about the little pitfall of not knowing what the hell you are doing?
Why not open a public Aquarium or a gourmet resturaunt? I would imagine you know as much about running, marketing, business management, employee relations, etc in those types of businesses as you do about running an auction house.

Or if you really want to improve your chances of getting a return on the investment, take the money and buy lottery tickets, the odds would be better.

Old Post 10-17-2002 03:39 AM
wonderaz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wonderaz Click here to Send wonderaz a Private Message Visit wonderaz's homepage! Find more posts by wonderaz Add wonderaz to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Caffeine
Caffeine

Well, I would be backed by someone who has been in the business for twenty years, and has owned resturaunts, and owns 5 apartment complexes.

All auction houses where I plan on setting up are backed 3 months, and if you knew much about auction houses, you'd know whenever a knew one opens, it not only is featured in the newspaper (of a town with over a million residents) but is swarmed. I have people who will seed the items to sell for the first month, until my house is considered reliable. People there don't want to wait three months, they want money quickly.
With a 10% buyer premium, and a 20% seller, that's 30% of all sales.

Old Post 10-17-2002 03:49 AM
wonderaz
Sarky Bastard

good luck

Old Post 10-17-2002 03:51 AM
wonderaz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wonderaz Click here to Send wonderaz a Private Message Visit wonderaz's homepage! Find more posts by wonderaz Add wonderaz to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Caffeine
Caffeine

Thank you. This isn't an idea that I came up with, and I'm looking for all the criticism I can get.

If this doesn't work, I'm opening an gourmet aquarium.

Old Post 10-17-2002 03:57 AM
missphinx
Edgy the Budgie

Since you didn't come up with the idea,
IT SOUNDS LIKE A HORRIBLE IDEA. RUN. FAR AWAY.

Why would someone want to set you up with something like this when you have no experience? That's nuts.

Old Post 10-17-2002 04:09 AM
missphinx is offline Click Here to See the Profile for missphinx Click here to Send missphinx a Private Message Find more posts by missphinx Add missphinx to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

why not a sushi auction house?

No offense, but if someone is willing to back you for a business like this, why the hell do they need you in the first place. What do you bring to the equation? They could hire someone to do what you'd be gettin a partner's share for, especially at your age. If you had said you were gonna go work at this guy's auction house until such time as you knew it well enough to open one of your own, I'd say that was a helluva idea. The only auction house I've had much dealings with was crooked and changed ownership three or four times in the last decade. But that was a livestock sale barn.

Go for it. Get a lawyer. Don't sign anything without his approval. Don't get the lawyer on yer partner's referral.

just my .02

Old Post 10-17-2002 04:15 AM
Mugtoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mugtoe Click here to Send Mugtoe a Private Message Find more posts by Mugtoe Add Mugtoe to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trina
Chronic papercut

I know nothing about it so I have no opinion. Let's wait for Heather.

Good luck Caff.

Old Post 10-17-2002 04:16 AM
Trina is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trina Click here to Send Trina a Private Message Find more posts by Trina Add Trina to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SocialParasite
wallet.dat is where it at

How about you try having a real job before you go doing something where you're in charge.

Old Post 10-17-2002 04:24 AM
SocialParasite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SocialParasite Click here to Send SocialParasite a Private Message Find more posts by SocialParasite Add SocialParasite to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wonderaz
Sarky Bastard

You do understand that if you really do get into this and you have someone (who apparently doesn't really need you to open and run an auction house) and you actually have a pivotal role in the running of this venture that you are making a very major commitment. This isn't something where you can decide in six months that it isn't as fun as you thought it would be and waltz out the door blowing goodbye kisses.

You are aware of the fact that starting a business is one horrendously arduous task. Long hours, lots of shitty work that you absolutely need to do yourself, 24/7 focus on the business, on and on ad infinitum.
Be exuberant as you want but keep in mind that the odds of making it are not all that good. It doesn't matter what "edge" you may think you have, every new biz thinks it has an "edge". more fail than succeed.
The ones that make it take tremendous effort and commitment.

You better have something in writing if you are a partner in this business. You have nothing to offer this deal but your sweat and that isn't very tangible. That could leave you in a rather in a rather tenuous position if your efforts held turn this venture into a successful business and you are a handshake partner. A good partnership is 2 things (among others)
1. It is only as good as the paper it is written on.
2. It is on average, like a bad marraige. Bitching, sullen acceptance and no sex. You stay together for the sake of the business. If your partner was your friend, it can turn the friendship into a single facet, the business, the friendship becomes subordinate.
But I digress...

Old Post 10-17-2002 04:38 AM
Caffeine
Caffeine

I should also add that the person I am going to be working with is a soon to be family member, and I have known her for around 3 years.

She needs a youth that she can trust, that is intelligent, and willing to dedicate time.

Old Post 10-17-2002 04:42 AM
Kayla

hey..hey..didnt mention how i was gonna be your right hand man. bitch

Old Post 10-17-2002 04:42 AM
Kayla is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kayla Click here to Send Kayla a Private Message Find more posts by Kayla Add Kayla to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wonderaz
Sarky Bastard

quote:
Originally posted by Trina
I know nothing about it so I have no opinion. Let's wait for Heather.

humor points

Old Post 10-17-2002 04:44 AM
Caffeine
Caffeine

Yes, you would write down stuff.
Right hand man.

Old Post 10-17-2002 04:45 AM
missphinx
Edgy the Budgie

What would you be auctioning?

Old Post 10-17-2002 04:47 AM
missphinx is offline Click Here to See the Profile for missphinx Click here to Send missphinx a Private Message Find more posts by missphinx Add missphinx to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buddha's penis
has it all

why does she need a youth? is it a rocking auction house for the mtv generation?

Old Post 10-17-2002 04:47 AM
buddha's penis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buddha's penis Click here to Send buddha's penis a Private Message Find more posts by buddha's penis Add buddha's penis to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paint CHiPs
Smartest Man in the World

Why does she need a youth?

Old Post 10-17-2002 04:50 AM
Paint CHiPs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paint CHiPs Click here to Send Paint CHiPs a Private Message Visit Paint CHiPs's homepage! Find more posts by Paint CHiPs Add Paint CHiPs to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paint CHiPs
Smartest Man in the World

quote:
Originally posted by Buddha's Penis!
why does she need a youth? is it a rocking auction house for the mtv generation?

I hate you, Mister Penis.

Old Post 10-17-2002 04:51 AM
Paint CHiPs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paint CHiPs Click here to Send Paint CHiPs a Private Message Visit Paint CHiPs's homepage! Find more posts by Paint CHiPs Add Paint CHiPs to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buddha's penis
has it all

LOOK UP.

they'll only sell extreme sports equipment and the current batch of nostalgia items. popples and stuff. like ebay, but not as convenient.

Old Post 10-17-2002 04:53 AM
buddha's penis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buddha's penis Click here to Send buddha's penis a Private Message Find more posts by buddha's penis Add buddha's penis to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fiend
Medically crazy

quote:
Originally posted by Kayla
hey..hey..didnt mention how i was gonna be your right hand man. bitch

dammit! I though you two had melded together like Siamese twins or somthing.

I really miss that newsletter....

Old Post 10-17-2002 04:55 AM
Fiend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fiend Click here to Send Fiend a Private Message Find more posts by Fiend Add Fiend to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tack
jackaroo

so pro roller blader fell through?

Old Post 10-17-2002 05:00 AM
tack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tack Click here to Send tack a Private Message Find more posts by tack Add tack to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Caffeine
Caffeine

The twins newsletter?

Well, there are a lot of young people in the area that are interested in older stuff, however the current auction houses only have older folk and that really stomps all over the youth spirit.

Anyone here who has entered a consignment shop recently knows what I am talking about. Teenagers and 20-24 year olds love them.

In the area you have farmers who don't pay tax who have loads of cash, and rich daddies and mommies who don't have time to spend with their rich sons and daughters.

Old Post 10-17-2002 05:08 AM
SocialParasite
wallet.dat is where it at

quote:
Originally posted by Caffeine
I should also add that the person I am going to be working with is a soon to be family member, and I have known her for around 3 years.

She needs a youth that she can trust, that is intelligent, and willing to dedicate time.

And she wants you to find that person.

Old Post 10-17-2002 05:12 AM
SocialParasite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SocialParasite Click here to Send SocialParasite a Private Message Find more posts by SocialParasite Add SocialParasite to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote