The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > Sensory Overload > Bands and artists I knew nothing about ...
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
J E B Stuart
Administrator

Bands and artists I knew nothing about ...

I told Muffy in the TLF Sunday thread that I knew virtually nothing about the Kiwi music scene. I then went and listened to some NZ clips on ewetoob. So, it struck me that its an interesting idea for a new music thread.

Amen.

" Future years will never know the seething hell and the black infernal background of countless minor scenes and interiors, (not the official surface courteousness of the Generals, not the few great battles) of the Secession war; and it is best they should not�the real war will never get in the books." ~ Walt Whitman

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-14-2019 03:57 AM
J E B Stuart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J E B Stuart Click here to Send J E B Stuart a Private Message Visit J E B Stuart's homepage! Find more posts by J E B Stuart Add J E B Stuart to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J E B Stuart
Administrator

Alien Weaponry ~ Rū Ana Te Whenua

This type of chunky, power-tools-gargle-growl rock generally isnt my cup of tea, but this is very well done for what it is:

Amen.

" Future years will never know the seething hell and the black infernal background of countless minor scenes and interiors, (not the official surface courteousness of the Generals, not the few great battles) of the Secession war; and it is best they should not�the real war will never get in the books." ~ Walt Whitman

Old Post 07-14-2019 03:59 AM
J E B Stuart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J E B Stuart Click here to Send J E B Stuart a Private Message Visit J E B Stuart's homepage! Find more posts by J E B Stuart Add J E B Stuart to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J E B Stuart
Administrator

Thumbs up Dragon ~ Rain

This band originated in NZ and wound up in Oz. No question which decade this tune is from:

Amen.

Old Post 07-14-2019 04:08 AM
Muffy
Crika bait

Re: Alien Weaponry ~ Rū Ana Te Whenua

quote:
Originally posted by J E B Stuart
This type of chunky, power-tools-gargle-growl rock generally isnt my cup of tea, but this is very well done for what it is:

Amen.

These guys come from my hometown (Waipu), which is kind of amazing given it's a one street "town" with a population of about 1500 (it has actually expanded a lot in recent years). They toured with Ministry last year. I don't really like their music, though.

Last edited by Muffy on 07-14-2019 at 05:19 AM

Old Post 07-14-2019 04:31 AM
Muffy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Muffy Click here to Send Muffy a Private Message Find more posts by Muffy Add Muffy to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Muffy
Crika bait

NZ 80s hit, that's totally cringeworthy, and has become a local classic that still gets played regularly, and which I must confess I kind of like when I'm drunk. Piney has also taken a liking to it and watching him try to sing the maori lyrics usually has me rolling around in laughter:

Old Post 07-14-2019 04:41 AM
Muffy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Muffy Click here to Send Muffy a Private Message Find more posts by Muffy Add Muffy to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Muffy
Crika bait

One of those songs most people recognize and go "oh, are they from NZ??, really?"

Last edited by Muffy on 07-14-2019 at 06:06 AM

Old Post 07-14-2019 04:54 AM
Muffy
Crika bait

Another classic:

Old Post 07-14-2019 05:14 AM
Pinecrika
Muffer's He-beast

Chur bro!

Old Post 07-14-2019 05:15 AM
Pinecrika is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pinecrika Click here to Send Pinecrika a Private Message Find more posts by Pinecrika Add Pinecrika to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J E B Stuart
Administrator

Thumbs up The La De Das ~ On Top Of The World

This band was apparently very big in NZ and Oz in the 60s and 70s:

Cool band name. 👍🏻

Amen.

Old Post 07-14-2019 05:25 AM
J E B Stuart
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Muffy
NZ 80s hit, that's totally cringeworthy, and has become a local classic that still gets played regularly, and which I must confess I kind of like when I'm drunk. Piney has also taken a liking to it and watching him try to sing the maori lyrics usually has me rolling around in laughter:...

Look on the bright side - At least Piney isnt singing Gangnam Style.

Amen.

Old Post 07-14-2019 05:36 AM
Muffy
Crika bait

These guys were popular back before I was born. A little too wannabe beatles for me.

Old Post 07-14-2019 06:05 AM
Pinecrika
Muffer's He-beast

quote:
Originally posted by J E B Stuart
Look on the bright side - At least Piney isnt singing Gangnam Style.

Amen.

The day isn't over yet.....

Old Post 07-14-2019 06:08 AM
Pinecrika is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pinecrika Click here to Send Pinecrika a Private Message Find more posts by Pinecrika Add Pinecrika to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J E B Stuart
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Pinecrika
The day isn't over yet.....

You can do it!

Of course, video would be the right thing.

Amen.

Old Post 07-14-2019 06:31 AM
J E B Stuart
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Muffy
These guys were popular back before I was born. A little too wannabe beatles for me. ...

To me, theyre more like Freddie and The Dreamers:

Amen.

Old Post 07-14-2019 06:36 AM
J E B Stuart
Administrator

Thumbs up Carson ~ Boogie (Live)

I stumbled across Carson quite by accident several years ago. This isnt Kiwi, but its Oz and I like this video:

Amen.

Old Post 07-15-2019 07:05 AM
fubar
mud falcon

I love Alien Weaponry. Keep in mind, they were 15 or 16 when they recorded those songs.

If I'm not mistaken, Kimbra is a kiwi as well. Give her a listen.

Old Post 07-15-2019 02:44 PM
fubar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fubar Click here to Send fubar a Private Message Find more posts by fubar Add fubar to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J E B Stuart
Administrator

Thumbs up Kimbra ~ Settle Down

quote:
Originally posted by fubar
...If I'm not mistaken, Kimbra is a kiwi as well. Give her a listen.

I did and here it is. Shes original:

Amen.

Old Post 07-16-2019 04:59 AM
Muffy
Crika bait

Here's one from Split Enz, one of the best Kiwi bands ever, IMO. Neil Finn went on to front Crowded House, who did relatively well in the USA, and I think he is currently replacing Lindsay Buckingham in Fleetwood Mac. This song has been covered by Eddie Vedder, Marilyn Manson...and a bunch of others.

Old Post 07-16-2019 08:58 AM
Pinecrika
Muffer's He-beast

Just because...

Old Post 07-30-2019 08:13 AM
J E B Stuart
Administrator

Confess ~ Im Your God Now!

From Iran. Had to move to Norway in a hurry:

Amen.

Old Post 08-01-2019 09:00 PM
J E B Stuart
Administrator

Thumbs up Patterson Hood ~ Heavy and Hanging

Amen.

Old Post 08-05-2019 03:16 AM
J E B Stuart
Administrator

Talking Brute Force ~ King of Fuh

Story here.

Amen.

Old Post 08-07-2019 07:38 PM
J E B Stuart
Administrator

Thumbs up Stonewall ~ Outer Spaced

Another interesting story here.

Amen.

Old Post 08-07-2019 08:06 PM
GoFuckYourselves!
#1 Asylum Dumbfuck!

Old Post 08-08-2019 05:38 AM
GoFuckYourselves! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GoFuckYourselves! Click here to Send GoFuckYourselves! a Private Message Find more posts by GoFuckYourselves! Add GoFuckYourselves! to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J E B Stuart
Administrator

Thumbs up The Hangmen. ~ The Girl Who Faded Away

Amen.

Old Post 08-14-2019 10:33 PM