The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > Dominos PizzaJesus
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
billgerat
Hope-nosis

Dominos PizzaJesus

Monaghan proposes world's largest crucifix
25-story religious icon to anchor Ave Maria campus

By Michael H. Hodges / The Detroit News

ANN ARBOR TOWNSHIP -- Domino's Pizza founder and head of the Ave Maria Foundation, Tom Monaghan, has submitted plans to build what could be the tallest free-standing crucifix in the Western Hemisphere, and perhaps the world.
The proposed 25-story crucifix, to be built outside Ann Arbor, would be taller than the old General Motors Building, taller than the Leaning Tower of Pisa, and just 51 feet short of the Statue of Liberty's torch.

The "icon," as people connected to the project all seem to call it, would be at Domino's Farms near the heavily traveled intersection of U.S. 23 and M-14. It would form the centerpiece of Ave Maria University, which Monaghan hopes to locate at the office park.
Plans for the proposed campus were filed with Ann Arbor Township in July, and include a rendering of the 250-foot monument, about half of which would be a tapering tower with a crucifix rising atop that. Christ's body would measure 40 feet. The entire structure would be just 20 feet short of Ann Arbor's tallest building.
"Wow -- big cross!" said Diocese of Lansing spokesman Michael Diebold. "It certainly would be a visible sign of the presence of Christ."
Indeed, the crucifix would be one of the most striking features on the Ann Arbor skyline, and it's the icon's prominence that has stirred enthusiasm and hostility among the few people who've heard of the project.
Monaghan, the pizza mogul known for his staunchly conservative Catholic views, declined requests for an interview.
The proposed crucifix "is really just conjectural at this time," said foundation spokesman William Koshelnyk, "and mostly in Mr. Monaghan's head."
"It's outrageous!" said Patricia Blom, whose house is about a half-mile from Domino's Farms in the largely rural township. "I'm a Methodist, but this will offend people in this multireligious area."
Blom and her husband have fought Monaghan's plans in the past, including a shelved proposal for an angled 35-story convention center widely known as the "Leaning Tower of Pizza."
But not everyone agrees with Blom. Former Ann Arborite Joshua Raymond, a Roman Catholic who attends Royal Oak's National Shrine of the Little Flower, argued "we should be proud to display our faith." The crucifix, he noted, "would remind people driving to work of the important things in life.
"If this were a nonreligious building, people wouldn't give two thoughts to it. But being religious, it's controversial."
In October, the township's planning commission held a public hearing on the campus plan, crucifix included. The complete proposal for Ave Maria University would require a zoning change from office park to one for public institutions. The planning commission could decide its recommendation in the next couple months, said trustee Michael Moran. That decision would then have to be voted on by the entire board.
Moran declined to speculate on the zoning change's chances for passage.
In addition, he said, the crucifix would require a variance from the township's 35-foot height restriction, though such waivers have been granted to at least one Domino's Farms structure, the chapel, in the past.
Any structure 250-feet high "generally" would have to be marked with some sort of warning light, said Federal Aviation Association's Great Lakes office spokesman Elizabeth Isham Corey.
In terms of religious art, the crucifix would be twice as high as the Christ the Redeemer statue that towers over Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. It would also outstrip three monuments that claim to be the tallest of their type in the world -- a 190-foot cross in Groom, Texas, a 60-foot abstract crucifix in Bardstown, Ky., and the 55-foot Cross in the Woods in Indian River, Mich.
"Leave it to the guy with the bucks," said Fr. Donard Paulus, one of the Franciscans who runs Cross in the Woods, which last attracted some 300,000 visitors.
"As far as I know, this would be the largest" crucifix in the world, said Diane Apostolos-Cappadon, a Georgetown University expert in religious art.
The crucifix's size gives some people pause, and leads John Given, who teaches Latin and Greek at the University of Michigan, to wonder whether it's meant to be "antagonistic to Ann Arbor."
Given, a Roman Catholic who attends St. Mary's parish near U-M, finds "most of what Monaghan does and what Ave Maria University stands for distasteful. But," he adds, "I wouldn't want to infringe on his right to put up something that could be seen far and wide."
For her part, Margaret Parker, an Ann Arbor artist with a keen interest in public-art projects, thinks any monument "should take into account its scale to the landscape." But she's not entirely opposed to the concept. "Monaghan has an urge to build a beautiful thing," she said, reminding everyone that "that was the impetus behind the great cathedrals and the Statue of Liberty."
Domino's neighbor Karen Mendelson, who lives in a farmhouse about half a mile away, thinks there are more disturbing features to the campus plan -- notably the introduction of up to 1,500 students in the sparsely settled township.
"The religious aspect (of the crucifix) doesn't really bother me," she said, "and I'm Jewish. But I just don't like things sticking up in the air. And at 25 stories, it's going to be absurd looking."

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-30-2002 08:15 AM
billgerat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for billgerat Click here to Send billgerat a Private Message Find more posts by billgerat Add billgerat to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SocialParasite
wallet.dat is where it at

He'd be better off if he would just donate the money to a worthy charity.

Much better use of money.

Old Post 01-30-2002 08:17 AM
SocialParasite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SocialParasite Click here to Send SocialParasite a Private Message Find more posts by SocialParasite Add SocialParasite to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Princess_Heather
long gone

Didn't the Domino's pizza mascot/logo/thing used to be a devil? Or was that another pizza place?

Old Post 01-30-2002 08:18 AM
Princess_Heather is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Princess_Heather Click here to Send Princess_Heather a Private Message Find more posts by Princess_Heather Add Princess_Heather to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
billgerat
Hope-nosis

Old Post 01-30-2002 08:18 AM
billgerat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for billgerat Click here to Send billgerat a Private Message Find more posts by billgerat Add billgerat to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Erinity
Fluffy Bunny

quote:
Originally posted by SocialParasite
He'd be better off if he would just donate the money to a worthy charity.

Much better use of money.

No worshipping god is much better than following his word. He wants to show what a great Catholic he is by building this monstrosity.

Old Post 01-30-2002 01:58 PM
Erinity is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Erinity Click here to Send Erinity a Private Message Find more posts by Erinity Add Erinity to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iglo

so much for dominos pizza then.
it ll be take away thai for me from now on !

Old Post 01-30-2002 02:39 PM
iglo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for iglo Click here to Send iglo a Private Message Find more posts by iglo Add iglo to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VKL
Running with a Hatchet

Of all the holy symbols that could be used, I still don't understand why anyone would choose the crucifix. It's so depressing. Look at it like this. If you were the (supposed) son of god and had been killed like that, and then one day came back to earth, is THAT what you would want to see everywhere?! A constant reminder of how you died?! Oh well, Catholics are fucked up as it is. This just drives the point home.

Old Post 01-30-2002 02:50 PM
VKL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VKL Click here to Send VKL a Private Message Find more posts by VKL Add VKL to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Postmodgirl
quivering arshle

and ten thousand years from now, what will they say when they dig up all these artifacts that show tourture and death on them?

will they look at them and say 'well my my! these must be a kind and loving, comassionate people! this must be a metaphor!'.

OR

will they say 'well, these people were really into violence, pain, and torture, why else would they idolise such an image?'

... and if they chose the latter, would they be that far off?

Old Post 01-30-2002 04:40 PM
Postmodgirl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Postmodgirl Click here to Send Postmodgirl a Private Message Visit Postmodgirl's homepage! Find more posts by Postmodgirl Add Postmodgirl to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

Christ went to the cross like the bridegroom to the bride. Xstianity from the mythic perspective can be quite beautiful, and the crucifixion is only a negative symbol if you think of it as an execution. It was the breaking up of the One into many, and evidence of the zeal of the Infinite for incarnation in Time and Space. One of the problems with our perspective on modern Xstianity is our insistence on the historical Fact of that mythology's origins and the concretization of the symbols. When you take the view that this is an execution of God you are putting out the same misconception that a lot of Xstians have about their mythology. It is a metaphor. You wouldn't think the sculpture of Mithras slaying the Bull was symbolizing cruelty to animals, would you? What I hear when I read these arguments is the individual reactions to personal experiences with the church. That's valid, but very subjective. The great mass of religious people have good experiences with their Faith, or they wouldn't stick with it. I don't see this edifice as someone shoving their belief down my throat. I just see it as an unattractive addition to a skyline. But hey, it's a free country.

Having said all that, I think the sculpture looks kitchy as all get out. Still, I lived right down the road from Bob Tilton's "Jesus Is Lord" grain elevator with the big purple stripes on it.

Old Post 01-30-2002 05:01 PM
Mugtoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mugtoe Click here to Send Mugtoe a Private Message Find more posts by Mugtoe Add Mugtoe to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WildChild
Forever Amber

Location: In my house :) Well apartment really, but in California...I wish I lived in Japan or Oregon :)

I don't like Dominos. Some weird guy was stalking me from there.

Old Post 01-30-2002 05:05 PM
WildChild is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WildChild Click here to Send WildChild a Private Message Find more posts by WildChild Add WildChild to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

When the taliban destroyed two buddhas, there was a massive outcry for some reason.

It's his money, he can do whatever he likes with it, although it seems odd to me.

VKL, the crucifixion is what christianity is about, dying to save everyone and then coming back again (what mugtoe said about it was true too). Although Bill Hicks did make a good joke along the lines of what you were talking about there.

Old Post 01-30-2002 05:18 PM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Liathiano
Fervent Phoenix

quote:
Originally posted by VKL
Of all the holy symbols that could be used, I still don't understand why anyone would choose the crucifix. It's so depressing. Look at it like this. If you were the (supposed) son of god and had been killed like that, and then one day came back to earth, is THAT what you would want to see everywhere?! A constant reminder of how you died?! Oh well, Catholics are fucked up as it is. This just drives the point home.

Remember "Catholics donot celebrate the faith, they mourn it."- Dogma

Old Post 01-30-2002 05:46 PM
Liathiano is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Liathiano Click here to Send Liathiano a Private Message Find more posts by Liathiano Add Liathiano to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SocialParasite

His money is still better spent as a charity donation.

The old Domino's pizza mascot was the Noid, which was some sort of rabbit/jackal/demon thing. It had a yo-yo, I think.

AVOID THE NOID!!!

Old Post 01-30-2002 05:53 PM
SocialParasite is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SocialParasite Click here to Send SocialParasite a Private Message Find more posts by SocialParasite Add SocialParasite to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

quote:
His money is still better spent as a charity donation.

As is yours.

Help the smug!

Old Post 01-30-2002 06:02 PM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SocialParasite

quote:
Originally posted by Smug Git

As is yours.

Help the smug!

I've already donated $1.00 to some retard-thing and $12.00 to the VFW. I gave until I couldn't give anymore.

Old Post 01-30-2002 06:04 PM
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

quote:

I've already donated $1.00 to some retard-thing and $12.00 to the VFW. I gave until I couldn't give anymore.

I wasn't really telling you what to do with your money, although if you don't ask, you rarely get.

I would think that the main incentive that people have for becoming rich is not to have lots of money but to have lots of money with which to do whatever they want.

Your posterboy Bill Gates gives generously to charity, they say (even compared to his enormous wealth).

Although I agree with you that it is a strange thing to do with your cash, as I am not sure that you really need a 250 foot crucifix, but I guess that it is up to him. I remember thinking the same thing about that New York Firefighter's Statue; presumably the people paying for it (private landlords I believe) can spend their money on whatever they wish to?

Old Post 01-30-2002 06:16 PM
SocialParasite

It's just that he's building a 250 foot tall crucifix. Really, who wants that? I hope some rogue terrorist cell turns it to a pile of rubble.

Old Post 01-30-2002 06:19 PM