The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > Pissups > Madrid - 05/2003 > Madrid events
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

Came out of a disco at 0730 or so. Walked thru a bunch of Spanish soldiers at the Plaza Mayor and down a small alley where we came upon the peacock and two hens that evaded us by bolting up into the air when we surrounded them. Then to a little place that seemingly sold nothing but hot chocolate with bread to dip into it. Then a cab back to the flat to sleep until noon or so, when we stumbled down to the cafe for beer and blood sausage with tortilla (in this case, tortilla meaning something of an egg'n tater omelette). Then linger over several more beers just talking and watching people and traffic and enjoying the breeze and the shade. Then stumble back to the flat to nap for a bit. Rouse ourselves around ten or so to head out for dinner and mojitos and then a walk around the backstreets until we find an after hours joint in a basement where they dance the way I expected them to dance in Spain - like someone's watching all the time.

That is the best way for me to describe the pattern of life the way I saw it, and the fact that ANY schedule works in that city. I could just as easily have gone to bed every night at ten and risen at five in the morning and seen a city not unlike the one I saw on my trip. However, I would only have had a passing acquaintance with my companions, and I would've missed some of the really good stuff.

It wasn't just Madrid. It was being with you guys in Madrid that was cool. I will go back (I applied for an eight-month job in Amposta this evening online, so I'm not kidding around about it), and I will spend more time exploring the place in depth. For the moment, I just need to work on the Spanish and save my jingle.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-27-2003 04:54 AM
Mugtoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mugtoe Click here to Send Mugtoe a Private Message Find more posts by Mugtoe Add Mugtoe to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

Speaking of which, I see another job online in Novosibirsk, Siberia that looks interesting. Ya know, if something like that only lasted a few months, I'm up for it. What the hell.

Old Post 05-27-2003 05:00 AM
Mugtoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mugtoe Click here to Send Mugtoe a Private Message Find more posts by Mugtoe Add Mugtoe to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

Scratch that, it's for volunteers.

Old Post 05-27-2003 05:00 AM
skalie
Locksmith of Lurve

quote:
Originally posted by Mugtoe
Scratch that, it's for volunteers.

Capatilist

Old Post 05-27-2003 05:06 AM
skalie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skalie Click here to Send skalie a Private Message Find more posts by skalie Add skalie to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

quote:
Originally posted by oxsan
I agree PT that Mug got some beautiful pics of Madrid. mIt has been 18 years since I have been in Madrid and I think that it was not that beautiful when I was there. I think that they fixed it up just for Mug's arrival.

I had a guidebook the first time that I went there and I seem to remember it saying that there was a Mayor of Madrid who regenerated all this civic pride and got the city cleaned up. It was my third time there and it keeps getting better; the formal garden behin the Palacio Royale that we went to was covered in graffiti the first time that I went there, but has been cleaned up since (and, in fact, there was much less graffiti in general than I remembered from my previous visits). The Metro is excellent, although I generally prefer to walk around Central Madrid (even when towing a sweaty shortlegged Texan, and Love's Young Dream, along with me).

Old Post 05-27-2003 09:39 AM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

I think that Franco was still in power when I was last in Spain. The return of the monarchy and then the switch to a republic may have brought about a beautification program. I don't mean that Madrid was drab before but it wasn't as lush as Mug's pics show when I was there. I have never been in the part of the city where the Olivar is.

Don't kick until yer spurred.

Old Post 05-27-2003 12:31 PM
oxsan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oxsan Click here to Send oxsan a Private Message Visit oxsan's homepage! Find more posts by oxsan Add oxsan to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

We had a chuckle about the map you gave me to find my way around with. It was a Franco-era map, and most of the street names have since changed to reflect that shift. General Mola no longer has a street named after him. Still have the map, however. It was interesting.

Old Post 05-27-2003 12:45 PM
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

If you want to go to Jerusalem I have a map of that city printed when Golda Meier was Prime Minister. And one of Tehran that dates back to the rule of the Shah. I collect maps you know.

Old Post 05-27-2003 01:45 PM
oxsan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oxsan Click here to Send oxsan a Private Message Visit oxsan's homepage! Find more posts by oxsan Add oxsan to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smug Git
Arrogance Personified

quote:
And one of Tehran that dates back to the rule of the Shah.

That won't include the museum relating how shitty the US is, then (I believe that it is centred on the old US embassy in Tehran). Incidentally, General Mola's old street in Madrid is now called 'Principe de Vergara'.

Old Post 05-27-2003 01:50 PM
Smug Git is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smug Git Click here to Send Smug Git a Private Message Find more posts by Smug Git Add Smug Git to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

It was a meaningless gesture for me to send that map to Mug anyway. Ten hours after his arrival ftom the reports above no one could read a map anyway---or cared.

Old Post 05-28-2003 01:27 PM
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

Not true. However, we seemed to have difficulty distinguishing the difference between fresh food and foul.

Old Post 05-28-2003 03:04 PM
Peter_Torque
Grill Instructor

quote:
If you want to go to Jerusalem I have a map of that city printed when Golda Meier was Prime Minister. And one of Tehran that dates back to the rule of the Shah. I collect maps you know.

I think a lot of my problems can be traced back to an adolescent crush on Golda Meir.

Since Pappy took us to live in a cave for a few years during that time, all I had to satisfy my unquenchable lust for Golda was a picture of Lyndon Johnson in a dress. (Close enough.)

Last edited by Peter_Torque on 05-28-2003 at 03:31 PM

Old Post 05-28-2003 03:28 PM
Peter_Torque is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Peter_Torque Click here to Send Peter_Torque a Private Message Find more posts by Peter_Torque Add Peter_Torque to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oxsan
Keeper of the Keys

Lyndon Johnson In drag? I can't stop laughing. He is the only president I have ever shaken hands with.

Old Post 05-29-2003 12:28 AM
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

I'd forgotten about this little journal. It's been just over a year, and I want to go back soon.

Old Post 05-31-2004 08:01 PM
Nutrimentia
plata o plomo

could you repost that link to the pics? It didn't seem to be working for me just now.

Old Post 06-01-2004 01:36 AM
Nutrimentia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nutrimentia Click here to Send Nutrimentia a Private Message Visit Nutrimentia's homepage! Find more posts by Nutrimentia Add Nutrimentia to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mugtoe
Scarred for Life

absolutely

Old Post 06-01-2004 02:45 AM
Nutrimentia
plata o plomo

Cheers. I had seen some of them, but nice to see them again. I need to make it to one of these sometime again.

Old Post 06-01-2004 01:58 PM
Nutrimentia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nutrimentia Click here to Send Nutrimentia a Private Message Visit Nutrimentia's homepage! Find more posts by Nutrimentia Add Nutrimentia to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goatboy
the anticlimax

top, for mugtoe's sig.

Old Post 10-24-2005 08:28 PM
Goatboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goatboy Click here to Send Goatboy a Private Message Find more posts by Goatboy Add Goatboy to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skalie
Locksmith of Lurve

Anyone still in Madrid ? Might have a couple of days off there in october. ( 2012 )

Old Post 08-31-2012 09:28 AM
skalie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skalie Click here to Send skalie a Private Message Find more posts by skalie Add skalie to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cornelius
Quixotic landmass

Bit late, but yes. I'm back in Madrid. Did you make it back to the airport?

Old Post 05-28-2013 04:05 PM
cornelius is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cornelius Click here to Send cornelius a Private Message Find more posts by cornelius Add cornelius to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ignatz mouse
gone with the wind

I'll be in Madrid and Barcelona in October, 2015. Woot!

Old Post 07-26-2015 10:09 PM
ignatz mouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ignatz mouse Click here to Send ignatz mouse a Private Message Find more posts by ignatz mouse Add ignatz mouse to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coincidence
Counterfeit

Gratz, what's the occasion?

Old Post 07-27-2015 10:16 AM
Coincidence is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coincidence Click here to Send Coincidence a Private Message Visit Coincidence's homepage! Find more posts by Coincidence Add Coincidence to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skalie
Locksmith of Lurve

Football

Old Post 07-27-2015 05:24 PM
Coincidence
Counterfeit

Yeahm, she's the typical Ultra.

Old Post 07-28-2015 12:40 PM
Coincidence is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coincidence Click here to Send Coincidence a Private Message Visit Coincidence's homepage! Find more posts by Coincidence Add Coincidence to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote