The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > police dog accused of racial profiling-leading to calls that the canine be killed.
Pages (5): « 1 2 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
philjit
Arch-Enemy of Idealism

quote:
Originally posted by Smug Git
I tend to object when things like this are used to apply moral worth to animals.

hey I was not applying moral worth on the basis of self-awareness. I was just pointing out that I don't consider a dog to be sophistictaed cognitively to the point that it can be a racist on the basis of self-awareness testing. I didn't place a moral value on that, I love dogs, I love cats, shit I own four of the latter, and just after I posted I went a picked one up and started talking to him. He gave me a very blank look. (this is normal for him hes a bit slow)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:21 PM
philjit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for philjit Click here to Send philjit a Private Message Find more posts by philjit Add philjit to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skalie
Locksmith of Lurve

quote:
Originally posted by Phil
He gave me a very blank look. (this is normal for him hes a bit slow)

Cat probably said the same thing.

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:25 PM
skalie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skalie Click here to Send skalie a Private Message Find more posts by skalie Add skalie to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
philjit
Arch-Enemy of Idealism

quote:
Originally posted by skalie
Cat probably said the same thing.

probably.

Old Post 06-12-2002 06:45 PM
philjit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for philjit Click here to Send philjit a Private Message Find more posts by philjit Add philjit to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flocat
PINKO

what if a midget got bitten? they're about the same size. say you train the dogs not to bite people of a certain size and all but you're going after one mad and mean midget. you need the dog to help you but what do you do?

as for the dog...i have this thing against german shepards. i've been bitten twice by dogs and both times it was a german shepard that did it. bastard dogs. one bit my leg while i was walking down the street. it had gone after some boys who ran my way and before i knew what was going on, the bitch clamped down on me. she wouldn't let go and i had to keep punching her in the head until she finally did. she didn't get put down and i realise that she was only doing what instincts told her to do. i would've like to have those boys who were running away (i later found out that they were trying to break into the owner's home) put down. the other time was my ex's dog. we were playing and then he just lunged for my face. he barely nicked me but they sold him to a rancher shortly thereafter because they realised that he would probably be better off there and they were having problems with him acting like this (there was also the fact that they worried for her 6 year old niece who was living there at the time).

So, i look at my experiences and turn it onto this. i, like smug, don't think the dog should be a police dog anymore but that it shouldn't be destroyed. that race thing is just plain stupid, in my opinion. i think it was a freak accident and you all know that i'm not buying any tickets to the policemen's ball. but then again, what do i know? i'm just a dirty mexican who hates the man and loves dogs.

Old Post 06-12-2002 07:43 PM
flocat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flocat Click here to Send flocat a Private Message Visit flocat's homepage! Find more posts by flocat Add flocat to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skalie
Locksmith of Lurve

Just for the record, if a dog "clamps down" on something, your leg, another dog, local shoe-shine boy.....

Lift it's back legs of the ground, eventually it will become exhausted and let go.

Old Post 06-12-2002 07:50 PM
skalie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skalie Click here to Send skalie a Private Message Find more posts by skalie Add skalie to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shyloh
ghost of internetz past

quote:
Originally posted by JoeyCat
It's not unheard of that parents smoke pot around their kids, regardles of color.

Cops' fault.

Old Post 06-12-2002 08:46 PM
shyloh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shyloh Click here to Send shyloh a Private Message Find more posts by shyloh Add shyloh to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BnB
Suck My Ass

quote:
Originally posted by JoeyCat
It's not unheard of that parents smoke pot around their kids, regardles of color.

Thanks for pointing that out shyloh.

Let me make it abundantly clear.

I only smoke green pot.

Old Post 06-12-2002 08:52 PM
BnB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BnB Click here to Send BnB a Private Message Find more posts by BnB Add BnB to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trollstoy
Rack the Trolls™!

Mugtoe,
If done correctly that is a good idea in my book, lawyers or not.

BnB,
Yes and no. Offers to settle can not be used against someone in court. So say if MugDaCop walks up to hurt kid and says: "I’ll give ya 20 large to settle." That cannot be used against him, ‘cause the court does not want to discourage settlements. But if he says: "I’m sorry I let the dog go I really fucked up I’m a stooopid shit, my fault... I’ll give ya 20 large to settle." Then the admission can not be severed from the settlement and this hersay will come in under the admission of a party opponent exception to the hersay rule.

Follow?

shyloh,
First, unless you think cops are stoopid you don’t think they will have a system where ANYTIME they are in hand to hand conflict with a perp a dog might easily get out and bite you. You might think a gun might go off or a hostage might be taken, but not usually dog attack on an innocent bystander. This means there is no foreseeability for the actual injury. When there is no foreseeability the chain of causation is broken so there can be no contributory negligence on the part of the kid. No contrib= no fault on the part of the kid.
So there was no foreseeable danger of dog bite so it is not the kids fault.

Second, I did this already. Look back to the post with the football analogy.

Old Post 06-12-2002 11:30 PM
Trollstoy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trollstoy Click here to Send Trollstoy a Private Message Find more posts by Trollstoy Add Trollstoy to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sw/oT
Toes on the nose, bros!

For those who think that a dog or any animal is incapable of racism, I offer you this irrefutable evidence...a picture taken shortly before the incident occured by a passerby.

Old Post 06-13-2002 12:47 AM
Sw/oT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sw/oT Click here to Send Sw/oT a Private Message Find more posts by Sw/oT Add Sw/oT to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skalie
Locksmith of Lurve

Just wondering, and a question directed to those who believe that this dog should be allowed to live.

Should this dog be allowed to roam the streets freely or should it stay for the rest of it's life on a leash or locked up in a van?

Just curious.

Old Post 06-13-2002 11:19 PM
shyloh
ghost of internetz past

You might think a gun might go off or a hostage might be taken

Exactly. If you were a parent, and there was a situation happening nearby in which there was even a slight chance that there can be shooting or struggle, wouldn't you keep your child the hell away from that area?

So there was no foreseeable danger of dog bite so it is not the kids fault.
I haven't blamed the kid at all.

Old Post 06-13-2002 11:45 PM
shyloh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shyloh Click here to Send shyloh a Private Message Find more posts by shyloh Add shyloh to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trollstoy
Rack the Trolls™!

I think what a kid would learn from watching a good clean arrest would outweigh the >1% of the time when an IB gets hurt, but if it looked iffy from the outset I would get my kid out of there.

My bad about the kid's fault thing, the quote of mine you culled related to the kid's liability.

Old Post 06-14-2002 01:43 AM
Trollstoy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trollstoy Click here to Send Trollstoy a Private Message Find more posts by Trollstoy Add Trollstoy to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thimbles worth of opinion
Symetrically challenged

The kid should be shot with a silver bullet.
Otherwise when the moon gets full...

Old Post 06-14-2002 01:52 AM
Thimbles worth of opinion is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thimbles worth of opinion Click here to Send Thimbles worth of opinion a Private Message Find more posts by Thimbles worth of opinion Add Thimbles worth of opinion to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dingle
Gay for Mugtoe

quote:
Originally posted by Trollstoy
I think what a kid would learn from watching a good clean arrest would outweigh the >1% of the time when an IB gets hurt, but if it looked iffy from the outset I would get my kid out of there.

My bad about the kid's fault thing, the quote of mine you culled related to the kid's liability.

i happen to agree with that... and while some people here are trying to blame the kids or the kids parents or the cops or the dog, i dont think ANY of them are to blame. wanna blame someone? blame the fuckhead who was getting arrested.

Old Post 06-14-2002 03:16 AM
Dingle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dingle Click here to Send Dingle a Private Message Find more posts by Dingle Add Dingle to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J E B Stuart
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Dingle
the skin color is rarely relevant, yet the people who should most want to rid the world of color boundaries time and time again are the ones shoving their race down everyones throats. ...

And to think, Dingle, that all I was doing was searching for a thread to bump some HB wishes to357magnum-FuhQall. Well, birthday cake it is. 🎂🎂

Amen.

" Future years will never know the seething hell and the black infernal background of countless minor scenes and interiors, (not the official surface courteousness of the Generals, not the few great battles) of the Secession war; and it is best they should not�the real war will never get in the books." ~ Walt Whitman

Old Post 07-30-2019 04:50 AM
J E B Stuart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J E B Stuart Click here to Send J E B Stuart a Private Message Visit J E B Stuart's homepage! Find more posts by J E B Stuart Add J E B Stuart to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote