The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > WIT - Whore Institute of Technology > Part needed for an Acer
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
MuffyTheVampyreLayer
Just another wanker

Part needed for an Acer

I need a new part (power socket) for my laptop. Acer will not let the part be sold without sending the computer in for servicing, which will cost me lots and I see it as a waste of money for something I can do myself. Apparently they have the copyright on the part, and I have not been able to find anything similar enough to do the job elsewhere.

Any suggestions where I could look for the part...or......would I get away with sticking a different socket in if I replace the socket connection on the power cord, or would this cause my computer to blow up?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-13-2001 07:33 AM
MuffyTheVampyreLayer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MuffyTheVampyreLayer Click here to Send MuffyTheVampyreLayer a Private Message Find more posts by MuffyTheVampyreLayer Add MuffyTheVampyreLayer to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dingle
Gay for Mugtoe

hmm, is that legal?

Old Post 11-13-2001 05:58 PM
Dingle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dingle Click here to Send Dingle a Private Message Find more posts by Dingle Add Dingle to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MuffyTheVampyreLayer
Just another wanker

umm...er....technically speaking - no. But the sales guy did suggest that I buy a second hand laptop to butcher, which isnt techically legal when associated with the power supply either. I doubt anyone is going to charge me with grand computer conversion

Last edited by MuffyTheVampyreLayer on 11-13-2001 at 07:58 PM

Old Post 11-13-2001 07:55 PM
MuffyTheVampyreLayer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MuffyTheVampyreLayer Click here to Send MuffyTheVampyreLayer a Private Message Find more posts by MuffyTheVampyreLayer Add MuffyTheVampyreLayer to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dingle
Gay for Mugtoe

no, what i meant was is it legal for a company to sell you an expensive product, then refuse to sell you parts to maintain it after it craps out.

Old Post 11-13-2001 08:01 PM
Dingle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dingle Click here to Send Dingle a Private Message Find more posts by Dingle Add Dingle to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MuffyTheVampyreLayer
Just another wanker

Oh - yes. They do it all the time. It SHOULD be illegal in my opinion though - They get away with it because it is a safety issue - fucking around with the power supply can cause electrocution (if you are a complete moron)...etc.

Old Post 11-13-2001 08:04 PM
Blennidae
an epileptic hummingbird

Exclamation

One thing to remember when working on laptops, is that some pieces are made to fit only specific models. I don't know about the specific model of laptop you have, but if its an older model, it might be better to look around for one to gut parts off of. Naturally you'd get the most out of finding the same model you have now.

repeat after me:
"I would like to feed your fingertips to the wolverines"

Old Post 11-13-2001 08:06 PM
Blennidae is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blennidae Click here to Send Blennidae a Private Message Find more posts by Blennidae Add Blennidae to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MuffyTheVampyreLayer
Just another wanker

Yes...it isn't that old unfortunately, and I think I would pay as much for a second hand one as I would to send it in for servicing. (servicing will cost $120.00 - the part is only worth $2.00 though! - But an essential part nonetheless) I'm not terribly worried about the part beings slightly different, as my puter has currently got two wires from the power cord jammed directly in to the mother board and held in place with bluetack. - I might be playing with fire - but it seems to be working (and has done for the last 4-5 months - just means it is no longer portable)

Surely I must be able to find a better/cheaper solution than this though?

Old Post 11-13-2001 08:13 PM
skalie
Locksmith of Lurve

Still the blue tack huh?

The principle is simple enough, it's no more difficult than a flashlight, positive to negative and all that.

You just need someone who's a bit handy with a soldering iron, and a couple of connecting plugs type thingies.

$2, tops for parts, a six pack for labour.

Sidenote, I bought a slightly rodgered lappie for $50, Compaq. Video card was a bit knackered, price from Compaq for the parts after trying to insist that they had to take the thing apart first? $1700 for a new motherboard.

Try to advoid going down that road.

Sidenote #2, prices in NZ dollars.

Old Post 11-13-2001 08:35 PM
skalie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skalie Click here to Send skalie a Private Message Find more posts by skalie Add skalie to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blennidae
an epileptic hummingbird

I misunderstood, I thought it was a bad power supply. If its just a cable that came off, then soldering is definately the way to go.

repeat after me:
"I would like to feed your fingertips to the wolverines"

Old Post 11-13-2001 09:25 PM
Blennidae is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blennidae Click here to Send Blennidae a Private Message Find more posts by Blennidae Add Blennidae to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MuffyTheVampyreLayer
Just another wanker

quote:
Originally posted by skalie
Still the blue tack huh?

The principle is simple enough, it's no more difficult than a flashlight, positive to negative and all that.

You just need someone who's a bit handy with a soldering iron, and a couple of connecting plugs type thingies.

$2, tops for parts, a six pack for labour.

Yes, still the bluetack...that and number 8 wire eh... It has taken me a while to confirm that no bastard (locally) will give me the damn part.

Cheers skalie...I thought I could get away with someone soldering a new one in, but the wanker I spoke to tried to make out like it was only something an elite (acer) part would work for...but that kind of runs contrary to the jerry rig I'm using at the moment.

If I get fried I'll blame you

Old Post 11-14-2001 12:42 AM