The Asylum   Search Private Messages Options Blogs Images Chat Cam Portals Calendar FAQ's Join  
Asylum Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 Asylum Forums > The Lost Forum > How 'real' is the internet?
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread [new thread]    [post reply]
aminal
incomplete

I'll Kung Fu your arse Chelle!!

Hi Ya!

--
/\/\ a R (

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-12-2000 10:50 PM
aminal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for aminal Click here to Send aminal a Private Message Find more posts by aminal Add aminal to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Spooky
twisty turny thing

quote:
Originally posted by Paint CHiPs:
Actually, Spooky is researching this very question, or so he told me yesterday.

Spooky? Spooky?

He loves me!!

But seriously its true that this subject is an interest to me personally. My interest stems from the idea of the internet, in terms of interaction and communication, as an extension of human life and experience.

As Paint said I did mention this too him the other day. As alot of you know I connect to #wota from work througha telnet session. This means when I have a private message with someone I don't have a separate window for it but instead have to type /msg user etc each time.

The other day I was having a very private conversation with someone and mistakingly put .msg instead of /msg, meaning that part of the convo went into the main channel. It was very funny for all those there. Although I don;t have the log it went something like:

.msg user blah blah blah blah
hahahahahahahahhahahaha
hahahahahahahahhahahaha
hahahahahahahahhahahaha
hahahahahahahahhahahaha
hahahahahahahahhahahaha
hahahahahahahahhahahaha
hahahahahahahahhahahaha
hahahahahahahahhahahaha
hahahahahahahahhahahaha

Anyhow, at this point I had the most profoundly surreal and altogether exhilirating experience. I felt myself blushing, becoming uneasy, and embarrassed. Embarrassed by text. I actually felt like I was in a real room wher the music had suddenly turned off and everyone could hear my conversation.

Of course, I am not at all bothered about it now, but it did get me thinking even more about the blurring of reality when chatting and communicatiing through the net. This place and #wota for me do possess some kind of metaphysical reality. I think though that only when one has grown in that community and feels they know the people there can they necessarily experience a situation like this. A newbie here for example may not expereince it, but someone who feels part o the community can.

This does not make the community real in a physical form, but does, for me at least, take on a form that is an extension of the reality that we sit in when in front of our computers. It blurs the demarcation between the real world, and the virtual community.

Of course, this always dependent on the user I guess. Some will not feel this way which I accept, but I beleive that the philosphical question of the Internet physical reality, particularly in respect to this place, is arguable. Arguable at least in a perceived virtual extension of the real world.

Does any of that make sense, or am I rambling?

------------------------
sp00ky
---------------------------
Men who believe they give a woman an orgasm everytime are fools.

Old Post 12-14-2000 09:53 PM
Spooky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Spooky Click here to Send Spooky a Private Message Find more posts by Spooky Add Spooky to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fiend
Medically crazy

actually spooky i knew who you were talking to and it really wasn't that private of a snippit of conversation
i laughed just to be silly, cause you fucked up not what was said, sorry about that,

that could be said to anyone of us having a shitty day.

------------------------
ManHo Inc.®©

Old Post 12-14-2000 10:56 PM
Fiend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fiend Click here to Send Fiend a Private Message Find more posts by Fiend Add Fiend to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Princess_Chelle
no thank you

Thumbs up

the internet is real
too real sometimes
people get really mad and want to fight with people they havent ever seen before!
its fucking RAD!
i love it

------------------------
respect the cock

Old Post 12-14-2000 11:19 PM
Princess_Chelle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Princess_Chelle Click here to Send Princess_Chelle a Private Message Find more posts by Princess_Chelle Add Princess_Chelle to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Caffeine
Caffeine

Dem be fightin' words?? Ar!

quote:
Originally posted by Princess_Chelle:
the internet is real
too real sometimes
people get really mad and want to fight with people they havent ever seen before!
its fucking RAD!
i love it

------------------------
Will accept plush toys as bribes.

Old Post 12-15-2000 03:33 AM
Caffeine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Caffeine Click here to Send Caffeine a Private Message Find more posts by Caffeine Add Caffeine to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J E B Stuart
Administrator

Aaaah. Revisiting those days of the relatively new, the groping for clarity is sweet. Similar to looking at old family photos.

Amen.

" Future years will never know the seething hell and the black infernal background of countless minor scenes and interiors, (not the official surface courteousness of the Generals, not the few great battles) of the Secession war; and it is best they should not�the real war will never get in the books." ~ Walt Whitman

Old Post 08-05-2018 05:46 PM
J E B Stuart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J E B Stuart Click here to Send J E B Stuart a Private Message Visit J E B Stuart's homepage! Find more posts by J E B Stuart Add J E B Stuart to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oracular_Jinx
Contents under pressure

It is real enough. I always thought of this place as real, but my online presence was constant in university. After getting over a hard dose of depression, I turned back to the internet for awhile. Unlike here, though, I did not seem to fit in as well with the other people. Awkward shit happened and one guy blamed me for divorcing his wife after I made it clear that nothing would come out of whatever we had. Another one I totally clicked with and we dated for awhile but he put spyware on my phone and was "watching" me which freaked me right out (police reports and stuff). I think the lines between internet and real life are far more blurred now that more people are online all the time. I miss IRC days where connections were connections.

Old Post 08-09-2018 12:38 AM
Oracular_Jinx is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oracular_Jinx Click here to Send Oracular_Jinx a Private Message Visit Oracular_Jinx's homepage! Find more posts by Oracular_Jinx Add Oracular_Jinx to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoFuckYourselves!
#1 Asylum Dumbfuck!

The world keeps changing. Let's change with it.

Old Post 08-09-2018 04:26 AM
GoFuckYourselves! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GoFuckYourselves! Click here to Send GoFuckYourselves! a Private Message Find more posts by GoFuckYourselves! Add GoFuckYourselves! to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J E B Stuart
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Oracular_Jinx
It is real enough. ... I miss IRC days where connections were connections.

I miss you and several others, Jinxy. I really miss some who won’t ever be back, such as Joeycat. That we would grieve over their passing is, IMHO, irrefutable proof that human relations aren’t any less real just because the relating occurs electronically.

Amen.

" Future years will never know the seething hell and the black infernal background of countless minor scenes and interiors, (not the official surface courteousness of the Generals, not the few great battles) of the Secession war; and it is best they should not�the real war will never get in the books." ~ Walt Whitman

Last edited by J E B Stuart on 08-09-2018 at 09:49 PM

Old Post 08-09-2018 08:56 PM
J E B Stuart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J E B Stuart Click here to Send J E B Stuart a Private Message Visit J E B Stuart's homepage! Find more posts by J E B Stuart Add J E B Stuart to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GoFuckYourselves!
#1 Asylum Dumbfuck!

I once had someone who missed me. It's a good thing I ducked.

Old Post 08-10-2018 02:15 AM
GoFuckYourselves! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GoFuckYourselves! Click here to Send GoFuckYourselves! a Private Message Find more posts by GoFuckYourselves! Add GoFuckYourselves! to your buddy list [P] Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J E B Stuart
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by GoFuckYourselves!
I once had someone who almost kissed me. It's a good thing I ducked.

FTFY, Herk. I gotcher back.

Amen.

Old Post 08-10-2018 05:25 PM
GoFuckYourselves!
#1 Asylum Dumbfuck!

You always do.

Old Post 08-11-2018 05:03 AM